Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Art Valero on his way to St. Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Hes a running back coach not an o-line coach. I didnt say he wasnt qualified because he knew Loserhan. This is why this is so stupid we actually let a guy go who I felt did a decent job the last two years holding together a line with tons of injuries. Now we are going to be bringing in a guy who has been coaching running backs not offensive linemen. Hey why dont we call the Whiners and see if Singletary will coach our offensive linemen too.
    I agree rammiser,very strange if these stories are true,but not surprizing considering the state of this team.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The PD seems to be saying he's being looked at for the offensive line, not the OC job.

Kind of strange to hire offensive assistants before hiring the OC.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The PD seems to be saying he's being looked at for the offensive line, not the OC job.

Kind of strange to hire offensive assistants before hiring the OC.
    Almost like they have an offensive coordinator already choosen...a Lineabuddy perhaps?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Almost like they have an offensive coordinator already choosen...a Lineabuddy perhaps?

Introducing the new Linebuddy doll. It goes every where Loserhan goes. Whatever play Loserhan calls Linebuddy calls it too.

"My buddy, my buddy, every where I go he goes. My buddy, my buddy, my Linebuddy and Me." "Whatever play I call he calls, my linebuddy and me."

No call will ever seem bad with Linebuddy around, he can raise even the lowest self esteem even after a dreadful loss. This can all be yours for the low one time price of 9.95. If you need a position filled on your staff look no further than Linebuddy. He fills the position and takes the fall if all goes wrong. Call now operators are standing by. 1-800-Linebuddy.

This is based on that My Buddy doll that came out like 20 yrs ago. Perfect fit for Linebuddy.
    Just Fix It

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hes a running back coach not an o-line coach.
    Well you've made it pretty clear that you didn't take one peek at his résumé before concluding he wasn't qualified. He's been an O-line coach six different times in his 27-year coaching career. He also was an offensive lineman in college.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well you've made it pretty clear that you didn't take one peek at his résumé before concluding he wasn't qualified. He's been an O-line coach six different times in his 27-year coaching career. He also was an offensive lineman in college.
    Well it's pretty clear that I think that coaching offensive lineman in college and coaching offensive lineman in the pro's is two completely different things. We are not dealing with kids here. He was only a pro coach as a tight ends coach and rb's coach. So yet another underqualified guy to run a pro teams offensive line. We dont need another inexperienced coach. By the way compare the two since you know Valero's reume check out Boudreau's at this link.

The official site of the St. Louis Rams - Coaches

I'd say we should have kept Paul.
    Just Fix It

Whatever his credentials might be, I don't think anyone should be surprised that any candidate who is described as having a past affiliation with Linehan would be met with a general "ugh!"

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Would that be general light , or more like electrical problems?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm just glad that hes not up for OC, we need a new playbook. I have seen the fake end aound, run it up the gut in my dreams, and it still does not work.

So yet another underqualified guy to run a pro teams offensive line. We dont need another inexperienced coach.
    He's coached offensive lines numerous times in his 27-year career, yet you still call him "underqualified" and "inexperienced." I don't know what to tell you. You seem intent on tearing him down simply because he knows Linehan, regardless of his qualifications. I guess as the assistant head coach for two years, he never would have worked with the Bucs offensive line at all?

You wanted to keep Bourdeau, yet for all that experience he brought to the table, he hasn't been able to help improve Alex Barron's game, Richie Incognito still commits the same stupid penalties, and Brett Romberg remains about as questionable a starting center as he was in 2006.

Whatever his credentials might be, I don't think anyone should be surprised that any candidate who is described as having a past affiliation with Linehan would be met with a general "ugh!"
    This is the way the NFL works, though. The majority of the time, people bring in guys they know they can work with and have a history with. Goes with coaches and players as well. It's no surprise that nearly every coaching candidate in the running for the Miami Dolphins is one that either Bill Parcells or Jeff Ireland has past affiliations with. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully this one works, should he get hired.

There's no question that it works that way in many, if not most, cases. But, in Linehan's case, he seems to overdo it by bringing in buddies who don't exactly jump off the page as top candidates (Olson, Roberts).

He's coached offensive lines numerous times in his 27-year career, yet you still call him "underqualified" and "inexperienced." I don't know what to tell you. You seem intent on tearing him down simply because he knows Linehan, regardless of his qualifications. I guess as the assistant head coach for two years, he never would have worked with the Bucs offensive line at all?

You wanted to keep Bourdeau, yet for all that experience he brought to the table, he hasn't been able to help improve Alex Barron's game, Richie Incognito still commits the same stupid penalties, and Brett Romberg remains about as questionable a starting center as he was in 2006.

This is the way the NFL works, though. The majority of the time, people bring in guys they know they can work with and have a history with. Goes with coaches and players as well. It's no surprise that nearly every coaching candidate in the running for the Miami Dolphins is one that either Bill Parcells or Jeff Ireland has past affiliations with. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully this one works, should he get hired.
    You're right he's coached offensive lines for Louisville and Idaho in college. He hasnt coached an offensive line group 1 time in his NFL career. I'm not saying he never worked with the Bucs o-line unit, I'm saying we are once again hiring a guy who has no experience at the PRO level coaching an offensive line. We let a guy go who has coached lines that have blocked for Barry Sanders,Fred Taylor,Steven Jackson, and Curtis Martin. Boudrea's unit for the Jags set a franchise record for least amount of sacks allowed. His Carolina Panthers did the same of only giving up 31 sacks a year after allowing 69. I'm looking at all this experience and all you can throw at me is that Barron and Romberg havnt developed all that well. Did he draft Barron and Romberg? I know a lot of people dont like Barron but I think on the right side he is a very solid tackle. I dont like him on the left however. So Boudreau is supposed to control Cog's out of control temper? I'm sure Valero will have much better luck with that. All I'm saying is if Boudreau took the fall because of all these injuries why is LOSERHAN still here? So now Loserhan is going to his bag of buddies for an o-co-ordinator and o-line coach. Because believe it or not I doubt we get a name guy to run our offense it will be another Linebuddy.
    Just Fix It

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Hiring an OL coach before hiring the OC tells me that Linehan will be the OC n 2008.

There's no question that it works that way in many, if not most, cases. But, in Linehan's case, he seems to overdo it by bringing in buddies who don't exactly jump off the page as top candidates (Olson, Roberts).
    Fair enough, and I agree with you on Roberts. However I don't think it's fair to conclude that a coach is not qualified simply because he knows Linehan, especially when he has a long history of coaching the position we'd be hiring him to coach. And it seems that's what's going on to some extent.

You're right he's coached offensive lines for Louisville and Idaho in college.
    Incorrect. He's coached offensive lines for Boise State, Iowa State, Long Beach State, New Mexico, Utah State, and Louisville.

I'm not saying he never worked with the Bucs o-line unit, I'm saying we are once again hiring a guy who has no experience at the PRO level coaching an offensive line.
    It's got to be one or the other. If he has no experience at the pro level coaching an offensive line, then that means you actually are saying he never worked with the Bucs O-line unit. I consider that rather unlikely with him being the assistant head coach. He doesn't have the O-line coach title for Tampa, but I would think an assistant head coach and running backs coach probably has worked with the unit blocking for his runners in some part during the season.

Boudrea's unit for the Jags set a franchise record for least amount of sacks allowed. His Carolina Panthers did the same of only giving up 31 sacks a year after allowing 69. I'm looking at all this experience and all you can throw at me is that Barron and Romberg havnt developed all that well.
    Yes, what I'm throwing at you is what he's done with OUR team. What you're throwing at me is what he's done prior to joining our team, which seems rather irrelevant since he's been here and we can look at what he's done here. His past experience doesn't change his failures to coach up guys like Barron, Incognito, and Romberg, which ultimately is what he's going to be judged on while here.

Did he draft Barron and Romberg?
    Why should that matter? Coaches are responsibile for coaching more than just the players they draft.

But regardless, Bourdeau as a former Jacksonville coach likely did play a role in getting Romberg here from Jacksonville's practice squad.

Fair enough, and I agree with you on Roberts. However I don't think it's fair to conclude that a coach is not qualified simply because he knows Linehan, especially when he has a long history of coaching the position we'd be hiring him to coach. And it seems that's what's going on to some extent.

Incorrect. He's coached offensive lines for Boise State, Iowa State, Long Beach State, New Mexico, Utah State, and Louisville.

It's got to be one or the other. If he has no experience at the pro level coaching an offensive line, then that means you actually are saying he never worked with the Bucs O-line unit. I consider that rather unlikely with him being the assistant head coach. He doesn't have the O-line coach title for Tampa, but I would think an assistant head coach and running backs coach probably has worked with the unit blocking for his runners in some part during the season.

Yes, what I'm throwing at you is what he's done with OUR team. What you're throwing at me is what he's done prior to joining our team, which seems rather irrelevant since he's been here and we can look at what he's done here. His past experience doesn't change his failures to coach up guys like Barron, Incognito, and Romberg, which ultimately is what he's going to be judged on while here.

Why should that matter? Coaches are responsibile for coaching more than just the players they draft.

But regardless, Bourdeau as a former Jacksonville coach likely did play a role in getting Romberg here from Jacksonville's practice squad.

I dont think Barron or Cogs is a failure on this team with Paul coaching them. So If Loserhan drafts players that arent that great according to you then Boudreau should be the one to take the fall when he with a proven track record cant get them to improve. Yeah, makes sense to me. Let's keep the one coach on this team that stinks up the joint with no proven record and fire the guy that was coaching the o-line. Also I could give a squat what colleges he coached for it's college. A lot of guys are successful coaches in college and flop in the NFL. Also it doesnt have to be one or the other well according to you it does but working with the o-line once in a while and being their coach is two different things. So once again it's proven track record vs unproves track record. Also why is it that Loserhan gets a bye because of injuries and everyone says well the players have to perform and execute. Yet Paul gets fired because of injuries and players not executing. It's either one or the other for all coaches right?
    Just Fix It

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-09-2008, 09:54 PM