Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Art Valero officially named assistant head coach/offense

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I like this pick-up, its not a huge make or break deal but it something that can help. I have followed the Buc's for a while, and they might not even keep Kiffen, there greatest asset in my opinion on there coaching staff. Gruden is terrible and should of been fired last year. Im glad we got Art, now we need to get Cam and i'd be extremely happy, but it doesnt look like the FO might let us down....shocking.
    hahah. thats true.

i dunno, it might be a good pick up or not. we'll find out next season. we need a good OC though. Cam Cameron would be a good idea

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRam! View Post
    Did we have an assistant head coach before? I think Joe Vitt was one when Martz was around.
    Rick Venturi, also the LB coach, brought over from New Orleans with Haslett.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Ok someone help me out, I just got lost...He's our assistant head coach? (..and he does what exactly?) and does that mean we're still looking for an OC, or is he going to take over that? If he's not the OC, great, no complaints..but if he is, I'd have to ask, aren't there more qualified guys out there like Cameron?

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Ok someone help me out, I just got lost...(..and he does what exactly?)
    Hold clipboards and make coffee...

This space for rent...

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How many has he won again?

Or it could be that he's parting ways with a guy he didn't get along with?

Besides, if Gruden didn't think Valero was a part of their success, why was he promoted to assistant head coach two seasons ago? Why did Tampa refuse to let Valero interview with the Rams last season?

With these basic facts under consideration, your theory doesn't make much sense.
    Gruden isn't a good coach - but Linehan is? I'm not following.

Jon Gruden

Winning percentage: 538 Playoffs: .556
    Super Bowl Wins: 1
    Overall Championships: 1
    Conference Championships: 1
    Division Championships: 5

Tampa Bay is NOT interested in Valero. Valero's story is that he butted heads with Gruden. No one likes being shown the door.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post

Jon Gruden

Winning percentage: 538 Playoffs: .556
    Super Bowl Wins: 1
    Overall Championships: 1
    Conference Championships: 1
    Division Championships: 5
    Gruden has done some good things and kept the Bucs competitive, but since that Super Bowl win with Dungy's team, he hasn't done much to keep them a legitimate contender. As far as Linehan, I have never heard anyone here say he's a good coach because frankly, there is no way to know that with the cards he has been dealt.

Tampa Bay is NOT interested in Valero. Valero's story is that he butted heads with Gruden. No one likes being shown the door.
    Tampa Bay's lack of interest in Valero has about as much meaning as their lack of interest in Tony Dungy when he was shown the door.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Probably because you're not responding to the things I said.

I didn't say Gruden wasn't a good coach, nor did I claim Linehan was. What I said was that your theory - that Gruden/Tampa is retaining coaches he feels are important to the Bucs' success and since Valero is leaving it means he's not one of them - doesn't fly when you look at the facts as we know them: Valero has been on that staff since Gruden arrived, he's been promoted up to the rank of assistant head coach as recently as two seasons ago, and the organization did not allow him to interview when we were interested just last year.

These are not the actions of an organization that doesn't value Valero's contributions to this team. Why do they suddenly not want him back now? Again, the most obvious and logical answer IMO would be a personality conflict with Gruden himself, one supported by the write-up posted at the start of this thread. Since the organization is committed to the head coach for next year, they're not going to contribute to a difficult work environment by forcing the retention of an employee that will cause friction with that coach.

The fact that Valero is moving on only two years after being promoted to AHC and one year after an interview request for him was denied suggests not only that the Bucs have valued what Valero brings to the table by promoting him and not allowing him to interview elsewhere, but also suggests that any problem with him was more recent, such as, again, a sudden falling out between him and the head coach.

Also, this wouldn't be the first time someone in the Bucs organization moved on because of personality issues with Gruden, as ESPN reports in an article only a week old that former Bucs GM Rich McKay's "testy relationship with coach Jon Gruden led to his departure in Week 14 of 2003." It's a lot easier to see personality conflicts leading to Valero's departure when you consider that personality conflicts played a role in the departure of another Bucs employee.

Therefore, it would seem to me that, when you look at everything we do know about Valero's time in Tampa as well as Gruden's history, the most logical conclusion to draw is that Valero is moving on because of personality issues with the head coach.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Kind of meh on the hire, but if he's bad, he's gone with the rest of the staff after next year anyway, and if he's good, the Rams can retain him.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think I follow the Rams thinking on this one by adding up all the clues. Honestly I am surprised that no one has already connected all the dots:

Why did Tampa refuse to let Valero interview with the Rams last season?
    Bucs running backs coach Art Valero has been named assistant head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

Valero said Friday he's uncertain which position he may eventually coach in St. Louis:
    Ok someone help me out, I just got lost...He's our assistant head coach? (..and he does what exactly?) and does that mean we're still looking for an OC, or is he going to take over that?
    Now to get off the track for a minute:

The company I work for has recently gone "Big Business" in the way it does things. By this I mean they have started to lose the family atmosphere and made it a lousy place to work. They hire new employees when there seems to be no need, then create a position for them after the fact. The new positions created are called something like "coordinator" or "assistant" or some other title that indicates they will answer to the department head...then a "reason" is found to dismiss the actual head of the department. Of course, the newly hired "assistant" or "coordinator" is put in place to do the job of the dismissed person.

Now, back on track: The Rams expressed interest in Valero in the past. Naming him as Assistant Head Coach means he would be named at least interim HC should Linny find himself without a job. The fact that the FO management has yet to finish their meetings with Linny just makes this even more of an interesting story. Georgia has had final say-so on the HC position. Right now, she is in the hospital and may not be able to understand what is happening with the team. This may be an underhanded way to get Linehan out the door and a new HC in place before the draft, or Linny may be given a very strict outline of what will be done or else. My gut feeling is that this hire is a way to make sure the Rams have a new HC in place before the management gives an ultimatum to Linehan. Dirty? Yes, but it's the way business is done.

Valero seems to be a more viable HC at this point than Linehan ever was. I wouldn't be too shocked to be renaming Sami's teddy bear. Right now she calls him Linehan. I have a feeling she'll soon have a new name for him.

rampower is offline Registered User

The didn't sign him and made no attempt to according to ESPN Radio.

Gruden has won Super Bowls - I have to think he'd do what he had to in order to retain
    the Coaches that he feels are integral to their success.

6 years is a bit too long to last if they think you are a dud.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    This may be an underhanded way to get Linehan out the door and a new HC in place before the draft, or Linny may be given a very strict outline of what will be done or else. My gut feeling is that this hire is a way to make sure the Rams have a new HC in place before the management gives an ultimatum to Linehan. Dirty? Yes, but it's the way business is done.
    You could be right Sam, but remember that Linehan and Valero are friends and coached together at Louisville. There is no doubt that they have talked extensively about Linehan's situation and it seems unlikely that there could be any back room dealings between the Rams FO and Valero. I guess we'll see how it all works out.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I kind of think it's more likely that Valero is our fallback plan for offensive coordinator. I'm guessing we haven't determined what position he'll take in part because Linehan has left the door open for Olson to stay on staff. If he is being given the option to stay on at a new position and there's currently only one other opening on the staff (offensive line coach), it seems like they may be considering having Olson coach the offensive line and having Valero take over as offensive coordinator.

Personally, I'd much rather see Valero handle the offensive line and have the team sign an experienced offensive coordinator (like Cameron).

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Personal conflicts within teams isn't anything new to the NFL. SAN Diego a case in point. Get rid of a successeful HC because he didn't get along with the GM

Partly egos are a very large part of many teams. If they come into conflict, someone has to go. In the 80s Ditka and B. Ryan where an interesting odd couple.

Nevertheless, Few here at this board are happy with the 08 season; more so fewer still are happy with the coaching of the Rams. Just about any change is welcome since the current mix of coaches has proven to be a disaster by and large.

I personally like R8RH... observations. Perhaps this is all behind the scences moves by front office telling Scotty do or die. But certainly I see the move to put some fire back into the Rams offense. Few would argue that Coaches know their jobs as to the function of various possitions, but its a rare "talent" to inspire players to exicute those functions.

How many of us have watch a team who on paper lacked the level of talent of their opponent, and come out and blow them out because they had the desire and passion to win more so then their opponent? On paper the Rams have a good team overall, but have no passion, swagger, or fire to win. Lots of games in 08 the RAMS could have, and should have won but for a lack of motivation.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

It seems some people are hating this hire simply because it was made by Linehan, an understanding position but not one that is well thought out. I have no problem with the hire if, just as Varg said, he doesn't become OC.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    It seems some people are hating this hire simply because it was made by Linehan, an understanding position but not one that is well thought out. I have no problem with the hire if, just as Varg said, he doesn't become OC.
    I was about to say just that. There's no reason to attack this guy just because Linehan brought him in, if you have a legitimate gripe with him fine, but give him a chance at least. Now personally I have no idea who this guy is, the only thing that seems weird to me in this whole transaction so far is that he was hired without knowing what position he will be coaching or even if he will be the OC, that seems very strange.

Edit: Hmm, ok it seems he's a friend of Linehan's who's worked with him before, I'll still give him a chance, but that does make me more suspicious - I just don't like the whole "hire your old cronies" thing. It would be great if they could get someone on board that Linehan didn't have a history with - someone who was picked 100% because of his ability.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -01-12-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-11-2008, 07:14 PM