Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BEER is offline Registered User

Article on Kieth Null.

By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    08/20/2009

Ryan Leaf was one of the most egregious draft busts in NFL history. He went second overall to the San Diego Chargers and failed miserably.

He alienated teammates, fans and media types. He suffered serious shoulder and wrist injuries. Later, after the Chargers turned him out, he failed to sustain comebacks in Tampa Bay and Dallas.

Now his protégé is trying to succeed where he failed.

As an assistant coach at West Texas A&M, Leaf helped develop Keith Null into a hugely productive Division II quarterback. Now Null is getting his shot under much different circumstances than Leaf enjoyed -– as a sixth-round Rams draft pick fighting for the No. 3 quarterback slot.

Many experts left him out of their pre-draft rankings. Others mentioned him as a potential street free agent, or “camp arm” as they say in the business.

But Null could become much more than that. He is a big prospect (6-foot-4, 220 pounds) with a big arm and a nice passing touch.

He offers intriguing physical tools and a productive collegiate background.

With starting quarterback Marc Bulger missing the rest of preseason play with a broken finger, Null will get additional work as he battles Brock Berlin for the No. 3 job behind Bulger and Kyle Boller.

Maybe, just maybe, Null could become a true developmental quarterback. His considerable potential could earn him a roster spot if he continues progressing through the preseason.

Null did not look like a small-town, small-school rube during training camp. He knew exactly what he was getting into when he reported to work at Rams Park.

Leaf helped get him ready. Null learned from Leaf’s fortune and misfortune.

“He has gone through it all, to say the last,” Null said. “He’s definitely had a lot of experiences. He has learned from all of those.

“We really enjoyed each other. I enjoyed having him as a coach and I know he enjoyed having me as a player. We got along great.”

Leaf’s tenure at the school ended abruptly and badly. He developed a painkiller addiction after his NFL career ended and that led to his arrest on drug charges.

But Leaf has stayed connected with Null while working through his personal and legal issues.

“He just called me two or three days ago and left me a message,” Null said. “I actually have to call him back. It’s been pretty busy around here.

“We talk every two or three weeks, He says in touch. He is very encouraging and helpful for me.”

Null threw for 5,097 yards in his senior season and capped his career with stellar Division II playoff and all-star game performances. Null threw for 595 yards and seven touchdowns against Abilene Christian in a playoff game and later earned MVP honors at the Valero Cactus Bowl.

Now he is making the adjustment from running a spread offense out of the shotgun formation to directing a West Coast-style offense from behind center. He got a head start on that process by training with former NFL coach Rod Dowhower.

“It’s definitely a lot different,” Null said. “There are five- and seven-step drops, a lot more ballhandling as far as running plays and play action and things like that. We didn’t do a lot of that in our offense.

“Besides that, they are both progression offenses, which I am used to. There is definitely a lot of different routes and things that go on with it, but it’s gone smoother than I thought I would.”

His debut in the Lindenwood scrimmage got off a rocky start. Null struggled with his ballhanding early in that session before settling down to throw some nice balls.

The jitters got the better of him. “I can’t lie about that,” Null said. “I was definitely nervous about going out and performing. Everything ended up working out. It was a great learning experience. There were a couple of plays I had trouble on. Overall I did pretty well.”

He preseason debut went much better in the Meadowlands against the Jets. He came in and fired a touchdown pass.

“Oh, man, it was great, just going in,” Null said. “It was awesome. It’s a lot of hard work what we’re dong in training camp. It was great to go out there and actually play a game in front of some fans and throw a touchdown pass.”

Boller will be a focal point of the remaining preseason games, since the Rams need to get him ready to replace Bulger this season should the starting quarterback need more time to heal.

But Null and Berlin will get additional playing time, too. The Rams know what they have with Berlin -– a reliable No. 3 quarterback with limited upside -– so Null could win the job by demonstrating more growth potential.

His opportunity is at hand. If he can continue his adaptation to facing bigger, faster and stronger opponents than he saw in college, he could put Leaf’s teachings to work.

And maybe, just maybe, Null could but a little shine on Ryan’s grim NFL legacy.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Article on Kieth Null.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Null does tomorrow and finding out if the Rams have found a diamond in the rough. He actually set a pretty high bar for himself in limited time against the Jets.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how Null does tomorrow and finding out if the Rams have found a diamond in the rough. He actually set a pretty high bar for himself in limited time against the Jets.
    I agree, I would like to see him sometime this preseason with the starters.

At least for one quarter.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Null ever starts an NFL game, Devaney should get a raise.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I would rather have Null than Berlin as the number 3 QB. Maybe its because his story is kind of like Kurt Warner's but he seems to have a lot of potential and could be good one day.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I really like this guy. He's got the tools. We just got to give him time to develop. Bulger will be out so we get more time to see what he has.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Yeah he looked good out there. He certainly didn't look like a rookie at all...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

btimsah Guest

Looked better than Sanchez. Just kidding CBS!!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

I said it here first, the 2nd coming of Tom Brady!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

curse you LA RAMMER for saying that vile name
    but you might be right
    Last edited by maxxdigger; -08-21-2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: dang keyboard

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    I said it here first, the 2nd coming of Tom Brady!
    Whoa I didn't know we were that high on him already! But hey anything can happen..

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Whoa I didn't know we were that high on him already! But hey anything can happen..
    Well, he DID throw a touchdown pass in the preseason. I think it's pretty obvious

RebelYell is offline Registered User

He has the tools, he needs to learn those massive differences between being a spread QB and a pro QB. Alex Smith could never make the transition but Drew Brees sure did. If Null slowly enters the game and is given serious developmental help, there is no reason to believe he can't make that transition. Just don't expect the moon from the guy for the first 18 months.

If the Rams build a solid defense and a power running game like we expect, what's to say Null couldn't be at minimum equal to an Eli Manning or Big Ben type of player in 2 years?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

This guy could be the real deal.

Keenum is offline Registered User

You can't tell much from one preseason game, but if he continues to play well tonight and the rest of the preseason, then I would be VERY interested in keeping him around. Hopefully he won't have to see any regular season games for now, meaning Bulger is healthy and playing well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast