RamWraith is offline Registered User

This article makes me sick!

Why is Martz shouldering the blame. UNREAL!! Kick some arse Mike, not the poor me crap.

---------------

By taking the blame for everything, Martz solves nothing

BY JEFF GORDON
    STLtoday.com Sports Columnist
    10/09/2005

Mike Martz threw himself on his sword Sunday after his Rams served up a 37-31 victory to the Seattle Seahawks.

In fact, Martz threw himself on his sword again and again and again. The poor guy was perforated by the time he ended his postgame news conference -– which was delayed, we presumed, by his search for more things to personally take the blame for.

“This was Coach Martz’s loss,” he told the assembled reporters. “Put a big check mark on that.”

OK, if you insist. Let’s look over all the key categories:

The hideous play by the Rams secondary? Martz wanted to take the fall for that.

“I asked the defense to put in a new coverage,” he said. “They threw for two touchdowns against that coverage.” He kicked himself for meddling with defensive coordinator Larry Marmie’s business.

The team’s offensive woes in the third quarter? You knew that Mad Mike would shoulder that responsibility, too.

“Bad job of coaching coming out in the second half,” he said. “That was my worst job of calling plays.”

The overall game plan and play calling were lacking, too, Martz said.

“I wasn’t myself this week,” he said. “I probably should have let Steve (Fairchild) call the game.”

(Fairchild is the team’s offensive coordinator, which probably comes as a surprise to fans who didn’t realize the team had such a thing.)

Finally, Martz beat himself up for creating an unwanted distraction with his own bad health.

“I just feel like what happened to me really affected the team,” Martz said. “That breaks my heart.”

And, yes, Martz promised he would fix that, and quickly. With the help of the Rams medical staff, he insisted he would get the upper hand on the infection that settled into his heart valve.

Martz vowed he will feel better the next few weeks and get back to his old self, working long hours and obsessing over all the details.

If fans could have seen this poor guy, they would be less upset and more empathetic. He looked like death warmed over. Coaching in the NFL is a brutal job, one that can make a man age quickly. The pressure and the grind are brutal.

Relatively few coaches last for the long haul. Dick Vermeil, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Marty Schottenheimer are still around because they had long, long breaks.

All coaches take losses hard. Some take it more personally than others, and Martz would fall into that category.

But the fact is, the Rams just aren’t very good right now. They have a makeshift secondary largely populated with kids or journeymen pulled out of the surplus bin.

Michael Hawthorne? Terry Fair? Corey Ivy? These guys are trying, we suppose, but they are not defensive cornerstones.

Ron Bartell? A.J. Atogwe? Jerome Carter? They're kids yet. It’s too early to tell if they will make it.

“We have to find out who our best players are,” Martz said. “We can surely play better defense than that. We have to be tougher than that.”

Here is our humble suggestion: Rather than take all the blame for all the failure, Martz needs to hold everybody around him as accountable as he holds himself.

He can’t tolerate mediocre punting week after week, or blockers who can no longer block, or a punt returner who pulls himself when he was needed the most, or coaches that just can’t get the most out of players . . . you get the idea.

Great leaders must challenge others as fiercely as they challenge themselves. And these Rams need lots of challenging.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: This article makes me sick!

I have to agree I don’t think his offensive play calling was near as bad as he said it was. I do think however he should have stepped aside today and expected his coaches and players to play and then if they did not pull a Bill Parcells on their ass. I am really starting to question his ability to get these players to play especially on the defensive side of the ball. He focuses a lot of attention on offense and executing and normally leaves special teams and defense to his coaches. The head coach may be able to do that but he still has to motivate those coaches and the players to play.

talkstoangels61 Guest

And why wouldn't you blame Martz?...................I do and he's a few reasons why i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1) Why is he allowing a converted wr to play safety especially when he drafted 2 very good prospects at that position! Furrey looked horrendous at the position and has yet to show me that he deserves to be ahead on the roster's depth chart much less having more playing time! 2) Martz has not been at the practices all week albeit being sick but, theres no way he can have had his mind gameplan, ready for this matchup being as sick as he was!Should have stayed home or even went upstairs in the booth to help out the play calling from there! 3) He's the one that keeps drafting and hiring players and coaches that continue to not play up to their ability! In my profession or any for that matter if my men keep screwing up the jobs then my clients will terminate and never call me again! Since its my name on the business and i hire my help then guess who's held accountable? Thats right ME!!!!!! 4) Martzie is playing favorites here as he has done in the past! Furrey,etc. 5) Our inside O-line is cotinually playing like **** and ole' mikey keeps the aging vets in there to block when they are not getting the job done! Terrell had a penalty against him late but, every time he was called on to block he came through! Start the rookies now and get them valuable playing time!AT and co. are near their end! 6) Play calling was terrable alot of times today! As usual here of late! 7) Why do you continue to keep a kicker on the active roster that keeps screwing us with his BS punts? Put him on the practice squad and get a punter who is capable please!8) Mad Mikes demise of this team is because he thinks that he is the BEST and yes as a OC i might put him at the top of the list but, as far as being a HC he continually falters! His record is only due to still having some players that show up to play on Sundays!...................Don't go giving me any excuses for this man! He is liable like it or not!

Tony Soprano Guest

Offensive play calling didn't give up 37 points.

If you score over 30, you should win every time.

Martz's excuses don't explain why we gave up 44 points to the Giants? That's why he put in new coverages. He sounds like we lost our first game.
    Pitiful San Fran beat us and Ratay had his highest rating ever against us.

Martz is trying to take the heat, because he feels he can take it better than his assistants and players. He'll take it on his shoulders because he has the ability to do it (in his mind). Do you guys want quotes from him on how highly he thought of John St. Clair before he was canned? Martz is constantly playing head games. Believe the opposite of what he says.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -10-10-2005 at 12:21 AM.

hawkfan26 Guest

Martz also made Jurevicius invisible to the Ram defense, and made the ball slip out of his punt returner's hands

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    And why wouldn't you blame Martz?...................I do and he's a few reasons why i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1) Why is he allowing a converted wr to play safety especially when he drafted 2 very good prospects at that position! Furrey looked horrendous at the position and has yet to show me that he deserves to be ahead on the roster's depth chart much less having more playing time! 2) Martz has not been at the practices all week albeit being sick but, theres no way he can have had his mind gameplan, ready for this matchup being as sick as he was!Should have stayed home or even went upstairs in the booth to help out the play calling from there! 3) He's the one that keeps drafting and hiring players and coaches that continue to not play up to their ability! In my profession or any for that matter if my men keep screwing up the jobs then my clients will terminate and never call me again! Since its my name on the business and i hire my help then guess who's held accountable? Thats right ME!!!!!! 4) Martzie is playing favorites here as he has done in the past! Furrey,etc. 5) Our inside O-line is cotinually playing like **** and ole' mikey keeps the aging vets in there to block when they are not getting the job done! Terrell had a penalty against him late but, every time he was called on to block he came through! Start the rookies now and get them valuable playing time!AT and co. are near their end! 6) Play calling was terrable alot of times today! As usual here of late! 7) Why do you continue to keep a kicker on the active roster that keeps screwing us with his BS punts? Put him on the practice squad and get a punter who is capable please!8) Mad Mikes demise of this team is because he thinks that he is the BEST and yes as a OC i might put him at the top of the list but, as far as being a HC he continually falters! His record is only due to still having some players that show up to play on Sundays!...................Don't go giving me any excuses for this man! He is liable like it or not!
    God forbid we have Seahawk fans in here to talk some sense into us.

1) Other than Archuleta, Mike Furrey has been the most physical player in the secondary, laying hits every time he closes in on a receiver. Unfortunately, Furrey is like a poor man's Archie - can't cover worth a dump, but he'll always be there to smack you before the yellow line. Furrey isn't so bad; I think it's more pathetic that athletic guys like Carter and Atogwe haven't found their way into the lineup.

2) If Martz is going to show up to a game, it's not going to be in the booth. Sorry to break it to you, but he is the head coach and will be on the field when possible, no matter his health condition. Perhaps he should've turned over the duties to Steve Fairchild, but there's no way we would've been helped by Martzie staying home.

3) You could at least be specific about which "clients" or players Martz has brought in that have doomed the team from the start. Last I checked, Martz isn't the director of player personnel and doesn't manage the salary cap.

4) Playing favorites with Furrey? Who do you want at FS if Hawthorne is out? I don't know where you're going here. Who are these "etc.'s" you talk about and who would you have replace them?

5) The interior is aging and hasn't performed well, but there aren't many alternatives. Other than Terrell, who got a lot of playing time, once again - who would you sub?

6) Playcalling was "terrable a lot of times". Okay, so be specific. If we had any kind of defense, playcalling successful for 24 offensive points sounds good to me. Late playcalling? As if Martz told McDonald to carry the ball recklessly on the punt return? The fourth down conversion was fantastic.

7) I'm not going to argue here - Hodges won't have a long NFL career. Once again, though, not something Martz could control and don't even try to say Mike pulled the trigger on that draft choice.

8) Once again NO specifics, you're just blasting Martz since the score turned out in the Hawks favor. I'm sure to you it's no matter that Martz wasn't even a part of practice until Friday. But now we'll blame the whole loss on the HC alone? Like it or not, he will NEVER be an OC for the Rams, calling plays from the booth, sick or not. I blame this loss on the execution of the defense and McDonald's sloppy handling.

Wow, Martz is such an arrogant guy that he'll take the entire blame for the loss this week, despite missing practices Monday-Thursday. Anyone that watched this game knows it had nothing to do with Mad Mike, and a whole lot more to do with the lame defense and special teams.

jkramsfan Guest

as we know he doesnt really have the backing of the front office, so if he wants to keep putting the blame on himself,he might just find himself looking for work soon.

mike ,heres a little advice HOLD YOUR MILLION DOLLAR PLAYERS RESPONSIBLE, they are the ones on the field

RealRam is offline Registered User

Anyone that watched this game knows it had nothing to do with Mad Mike, and a whole lot more to do with the lame defense and special teams. --EDM
    True. I agree completely as well as with your numbered bullets. :up:

I only hope we will turn around this ship in time. Next week, MNF! ...Sure it is possible to defeat the blue-hot Colts. Remember when we started 0-5 and then defeated the 5-0 Raiders?

Sorry to say, however, that this coming challenge is considerably more difficult (Colts offense Vs. Rams defense) but if we don't win in Baltimore, a good part of our team will dismay.

Leadership. :angryram: Leadership.

moklerman Guest

There are a couple of things that I would criticize Martz for (why the heck isn't Marshall in the backfield with Jackson?) but I'm afraid this game isn't one of them.

I've never been overly impressed with McDonald. Dropped passes, questionable routes and fumbles are why I begrudgingly was happy to say goodbye to Az. I would much rather have just kept him if the Rams were going to have to deal with all the negatives anyway.

Bulger's poor play in the first half didn't help either. I mean, what the heck was wrong with him today? He looked out of sync enought that the commentators were saying "this isn't the Marc Bulger we're used to seeing". Missing Bruce is a bigger factor than expected I think.

All that being said, those points are minor, really. If the team put's up 31 then the offense did good enough. The defense is the obvious problem and I don't know how they're going to deal with Indianapolis. Marmie is going to have to find a way to utilize the strengths of the guys that are on the field but the secondary is just too thin to keep up with anyone. Maybe a bend but don't break approach would be better? Hold teams to field goals instead of td's.

Whatever the case, I think Martz is having to deal with too much in terms of health, politics and poor draft choices/free agent signings. The punter is just plain awful. Maybe we can lure Ray Guy out of retirement. Sad thing is, as much of a joke that that's supposed to be, I bet he can still punt better than this guy we have now (I refuse to bother to look up his name).

jkramsfan Guest

I Drove By A Pop Warner Game On My Way To Work And Saw This 12 Yr Old Do A Better Job Punting, Ill Take Ray Guy First Then If He Cant Do It, We Can Look This Kid Up.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Ron Bartell? A.J. Atogwe? Jerome Carter? They're kids yet. It’s too early to tell if they will make it.
    Play these guys, Alex is looking good..

talkstoangels61 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Play these guys, Alex is looking good..

Exactly!!!!!!!!................and for you guys that dont think that MM had any say on the draft Please tell me your smoking something!......he has made 99% of the draft pick choices since being a RAm HC.............C'mon guys just because he doesnt have the GM tag dont think for a minute that it wasnt him that decides our picks!..........He has basically the last say so believe it or not!.............EDM you must be watching a different player than i have been. I'll give Furrey 110% award on heart but, not talent at this position yet! Hell its his 1st year there and you would play him over OJ or Carter NOT!

Clients = draft picks ,players out of positions,aging vets,coaches he's hired Marmie for example! Even though i do believe that MM has some thing to do with MF at FS. Not crazy at all with Fisher ,27 should be on the bench the way he's been playing!..........If Marmie can't get it done then as a head coach its his duty to step in and make changes himself if he's not doing it already!....Play the kids OJ and Carter and Bartell!...........and by know means did i blame MM for the loss entirely !!!!!!!!! show me where i said this?..only thing i said is that you have to hold him accountable!

and yet YOU say that we have players on this team that are terrible right?..........If so then who's fault would that be by keeping him in the game week after week or for that matter on the roster!.............A HC when i played always made that kind of decision! Look what he did to Warner and believe me KW was more of a leader or player than any of the players that you have brought up! Please Evil Disco tell me who's to blame then?