RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Atogwe, a consummate pro ...

Here is an exceprt from an article concerning O.J. Seems like a real professional, just the type of pillar we need here ...

Many NFL players shun the franchise tag like an infectious disease, but Rams free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe said he’s glad to have that designation placed on him.

“I think everything is a good thing,’’ Atogwe said. “It’s a blessing to come out here and play. And to be thought of as one of the top five at my position is an honor. I relish this.’’

As the Rams’ franchise player, Atogwe is set to earn $6.342 million this season.

Atogwe has yet to sign the franchise tender, but that didn’t keep him from attending the Rams’ involuntary minicamp this week.

It’s extremely rare for franchise players who have yet to sign the tender to attend any offseason team activities.

“I don’t have to be (here) contractually, but I feel like I’m obligated to be here for my teammates and for my coaches,’’ Atogwe said. “Going forward in this year, if I want to be a part of this team I want to be a part of this team from the beginning to the end and I think it’s important that we all put aside our own personal stuff and just really sacrifice for the team. Put the team first and allow us to come together as one unit so we can get a lot done this year.”

Atogwe said he felt like it was important for him to be on hand for the Rams’ first minicamp under new coach Steve Spagnuolo.

“It’s our first minicamp so it’s kind of the grace period where you kind of learn how they’re coaching and they learn how we work,’’ Atogwe said. “From a first impression standpoint, I think it’s going to be a great marriage. It’s going to be a great community that we’re building here. I think the coaches are really pulling for us and really trying to teach us in a manner that’s going to allow us to be successful on the field and we’re trying to work in a way that’s going to allow us to be successful on the field.”

Atogwe also is trying to develop a bond with new strong safety James Butler, who came from the New York Giants to be reunited with Spagnuolo.

“Me and James, our communication and just our rapport is already on high just from us being together for the last three weeks.,’’ Atogwe said. “And knowing James since we both came out in the ’05 Draft, we already have that camaraderie. I think as I continue to learn the defense — he’s a lot further ahead in the defense than I am — and we’re on the same page as far as what we know, it will just take off from there.”

Asked if his agent has had any talks about a long-term contract with the Rams, Atogwe said, “I think there are talks in the wind. We haven’t really sat down recently to actually start working out the logistics or the specifics, but if it were to happen, then praise God. If it doesn’t, then praise God the same. I’m committed to this team. Like I said, right now I’m soon to be under a one-year franchise tag and I’ll be committed to them for that one year. If something were to happen long-term, then my commitment stands as far as the contract stands.”

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Atogwe, a consummate pro ...

I think he deserves some money. We do need him long term and he's shown us the past two seasons that he is a top tier safety. Why shouldn't we bring him back?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!