r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Atogwe Fined $5K For Hit On Bush

Atogwe fined $5K for hit on Bush

BY JIM THOMAS
    Friday, December 17, 2010

St. Louis Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe has been fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness in last Sunday's game in New Orleans, the league confirmed Friday.

Atgowe was fined for grabbing the helmet of Saints running back Reggie Bush in an attempt to tackle him on a 13-yard run in the second quarter. Atogwe was penalized 15 yards for a personal foul on the play.

The league is closely monitoring any type of blows to the head, helmet and neck area this season as a matter of player safety.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Atogwe Fined $5K For Hit On Bush

Part of me understands what the league is doing but another part of me thinks the players should unify in a protest by playing "touch football" for the first play of every game one Sunday.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Part of me understands what the league is doing but another part of me thinks the players should unify in a protest by playing "touch football" for the first play of every game one Sunday.
    Heh, I'd halfway like to see that.

Nobody wants to see our sports heroes suffer long-term brain damage, but I do feel that they're taking it a bit far this year. Yes, the refs should be calling helmet-to-helmet hits every time. Same thing with face-masking. Clotheslining is dangerous, too, but it's getting to the point where they seem to throw a flag just for making contact with the helmet while trying to wrap up. Honestly, I don't think it would ever be a good idea to tell the refs to worry less about safety, but I kind of do hope that over time they use some discretion in judging whether a hit was really "unsportsmanlike".

shower beers is offline Registered User

I could see this happening after seeing the hit. It looked pretty brutal. I don't agree with what the league is doing though. It reminds me of what the RIAA is trying to do to music downloaders. Trying to make an example of people in hopes of scaring everyone into submission. But just like the internet has changed digital music forever, the NFL is by nature a rough game of tackling at high speeds and something relying that much on instinct and reaction isn't going to stop, if they want to continue to play at a high level.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    the NFL is by nature a rough game of tackling at high speeds and something relying that much on instinct and reaction isn't going to stop, if they want to continue to play at a high level.
    Exactly. For the most part, this stuff isn't being done on purpose. Players are flying around trying to make plays and as you said, relying on instinct and reaction. A defender grasping at or getting low to tackle a ball carrier who is bobbing and weaving is often going to unintentionally grab or hit something they're not supposed to. Being fined for that, regardless of the circumstance is something that needs to be re-evaluated.

As long as pro football is a dynamic, full contact sport, the NFL is holding players to an impossible standard. Just listen to the frustration from players on the field, or former players and coaches in the broadcast booth. They know from experience that the league has taken things too far.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

They don't want to see somebody die up on the field. At the same time Atogwe doesn't deserve a fine on that hit. He was going for the neck area, and bush ducked in

RealRam is offline Registered User

Bah! Humbug!

As fleece said, "...they're taking it a bit [too] far this year." It's going to take a while for the NFL to have it its way, to really establish a definite and real C H A N G E in the way pro football is played and meanwhile, alas, penalties and fines will abound.

Sure, everyone understands the safety issue. But please, don't take the nature of the sport away. Rules are necessary, everbody agrees. But again, as John Facenda, that unique and classic voice of initial NFL Films uttered: "They call it Pro Football". Introducing that video is Pat Summerall (10 year NFL career) who says: "It is a film that speaks an international language -- the beauty and violence of professional football."

If video okay here, watch between 6:04 - :10, a speck of a sample of how QBs were pampered.

No wonder old school Hall of Fame defensive players scorn some of today's rules! As for Atogwe, hey, I'LL pay for the penalty!

Last edited by RealRam; -12-19-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Ram