throwback week

Bosna-Ram Guest

Atogwe Getting Interest - Meeting With Redskins (& Maybe Bills)

by: VTramsfan

Well, when the Rams released Atogwe late last week, you could hear many grumbles from Rams fans... but now, if you're one of the many in the "O.J. camp", you may be grumbling even louder.

According to reports, O.J. Atogwe is scheduled to visit with the Washington Redskins today. There are ties with Jim Haslett (Skins Defensive Coordinator), so one would assume this is a serious meeting.
    Just how serious? Listen to Atogwe:
    "My agent has been talking to a few teams and we have discussed the possibility of going to different places. I'll meet with them (Redskins) and see what's up."
    I'll tell you whats up, Obviously Haslett feels Atogwe has a lot left in the tank, and would love to see him in a red uni next season.

The Redskins aren't the only team to show interest either... there are reports the Bills are also interested in Atogwe's services, although there is no speculation as to how serious they are.

Teams like the Redskins and Bills could seriously shore up questionable secondaries fast with the likes of Atogwe. The question is, is Atogwe serious about leaving St Louis, or is this just part of the cat and mouse game to increase revenue?

It might be a little of both. You can't blame O.J. for trying to get as much as he can, after all, the Rams have proven this is a business by not paying the $8mil bonus and releasing him. Atogwe isn't getting any younger, and this could be his last big payday.

At this point I'm not too sure how to feel as Devaney and Spagnuolo seem to have a knack for releasing players who have gone beyond peaking. IF the release was just to avoid the bonus and "hopefully" resign him, I'm sure these guys may be kicking themselves right now.

We'll know soon enough as to whether this was a big mistake or a brilliant move. Stay tuned...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Atogwe Getting Interest - Meeting With Redskins (& Maybe Bills)

Now you got MY interest!

Seriously, it's only fair that OJ is allowed / given the normal NFL market interest. He's a good FS so teams with that specific need will certainly look into the possibilities. I'm still hoping the Rams will somehow retain this proven player in our defense.

Thanks for the heads up.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Also found this report regarding the Dolphins look into OJ. No doubt, he is marketable!

2011 NFL Rumors: Why OJ Atogwe Would Be a Great Fit for the Miami Dolphins
    By Daniel Lewig (Featured Columnist) on February 20, 2011

Over the last 72 hours, some former Pro Bowl safeties have become free agents. Former Indianapolis Colt defensive stalwart Bob Sanders and St. Louis Rams free safety OJ Atogwe are now open to the highest bidder.

And both can dramatically improve a defense.

Each brings something different to the table. Sanders is the run-first, hard-hitting safety that can disrupt an opponents running game. Atogwe is the ball-hawk free-safety that can boost any team's pass defense.

Now here's the Miami connection.

While Yeremiah Bell isn't getting any younger, Miami's biggest challenge is at free safety. While Chris Clemons has shown some promise (and was injured in the second half of the season, disrupting his progress), Atogwe could be the stabilizing force in a young secondary.

Money is never an issue in Miami, and though the Dolphins need more firepower on the offensive side of the ball, this may be one of those opportunistic "acorns" that can turn Miami's D into one of the best in the league.

With New England Patriots All-Pro Guard Logan Mankins getting slapped with the franchise tag, there are no instant upgrades on the interior line worthy of spending major dollars on. Running backs DeAngelo Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw are Miami targets, and maybe the Dolphins can lure wide-out Santonio Holmes into coming home. The quarterback situation most likely will not be solved with free agency.

But free agency can offer some major benefits if used correctly.

Just as Miami wants to go after the best available player in the draft, it's important to view the best way they can add to their talent in free agency.

Atogwe fits into that category.

And Miami's secondary.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-21-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Ram

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Hopefully he kicks the tires with the other teams, but comes back to the Rams to see if they will make match any offers he received. Of course if we are talking about a bidding war against Daniel Snyder, we may be up a creek without a quality starting safety.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i'm just going to remind the Redskins that the last time they spent money on a free agent safety that used to start for the Rams, they ended up with Adam Archuleta

AlphaRam Guest

I know the Cowgirls fans are chomping at the bit over Otogwe. That would be a disgrace.

AlphaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i'm just going to remind the Redskins that the last time they spent money on a free agent safety that used to start for the Rams, they ended up with Adam Archuleta
    They have London Fletcher, too....

BoJangles Guest

I think O.J.'s probably gonna get more than he's worth. Is he a good safety who I'd like to have back? Yes. But he just isn't good enough to make me think I need him at all costs

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    They have London Fletcher, too....
    Adam carriker too.