RamWraith is offline Registered User

Atogwe has sights set on starting spot with Rams this season

By Nick Wagoner/ Senior Writer

Mon, July 17, 2006
    The leader in the clubhouse for the starting job at free safety, Windsor's OJ Atogwe will battle during training camp for the spot.

The Rams have also added a new face (but veteran presence) at the strong safety position during the offseason. After parting ways with Adam Archuleta, who departed for Washington via free agency, the Rams found themselves searching for a veteran leader to provide guidance to the youngsters in their secondary as well as produce on the field.

Enter Corey Chavous, one of the league's most studious players. Chavous signed with the Rams soon after hitting the free-agent market and was instantly installed as the starter at strong safety, Archuleta's former stomping ground.

While Chavous' spot seems secure, there is a battle brewing at free safety where second-year players Jerome Carter and Oshiomogho Atogwe are ready to contend for their first starting jobs in the NFL.

Corey Chavous

Scouting Report: An outstanding, savvy leader who will gladly serve as a mentor for the young players at the safety position. Very strong in coverage, having played both safety spots and cornerback in his career. Not as strong in the box as a blitzer or against the run, but still plenty capable. Always in position, a true student of the game that devours film. Went to the Pro Bowl in 2003.

Last Year: Finished his final season in Minnesota with 71 tackles and a pair of interceptions before signing with the Rams as a free agent.

Outlook: Will start immediately at strong safety and serve as a leader and mentor for the likes of Oshiomogho Atogwe and Jerome Carter.

Quotable: "It's not like you come here and what you've done comes along with you," Chavous said. "Because to me it doesn't. It's a week-to-week league. If I go out the first game and give up five touchdowns, nobody's going to care that I was the leader, or supposedly, the defensive leader. The bottom line is production, and going out and being consistent. That's how you earn your leadership. You earn your leadership through how you play, how you perform or what you do in the classroom. That's what makes you a leader."

Oshiomogho Atogwe

Scouting Report: A smart, fundamentally sound safety who is still learning the nuances of the game. Struggled to learn assignments as a rookie and had his progress stalled because of it, but showed signs of life at the end of the season. A solid tackler with coverage skills and is capable of playing either safety spot.

Last Year: Played in 13 games, mostly on special teams, for which he recorded seven tackles. Finished with five tackles, a sack, an interception and a fumble recovery. The interception and fumble recovery came in the finale against Dallas on Jan. 1.

Outlook: The leader in the clubhouse for the starting job at free safety. Atogwe will battle Carter, among others during training camp for that spot.

Quotable: "He was a highly rated player," coach Scott Linehan said. "He's been really working hard in the offseason, preparing for this opportunity, and he hasn't disappointed us. He fits what you're looking for in a safety; he's just green. The only way you're going to solve that problem is to play him."

Jerome Carter

Scouting Report: A hard-nosed, enthusiastic player with a love of the big hit. . Helpful on special teams and willing to stick his nose in the box as a run stopper. Has plenty of potential.

Last Year: Played in 14 games, starting two and working on special teams in all. Finished with 40 tackles and a pair of passes defended.

Outlook: Played mostly strong safety as a rookie and is attempting to learn the nuances of the free safety spot. Will be able to bounce back and forth, but should get the chance to compete for a starting spot as the free safety.

Also expected to compete: Deandre Eiland, Dwaine Carpenter.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Atogwe has sights set on starting spot with Rams this season

Atogwe has some serious talent, I think he could definitely start, and Linehan (as usual...enthused and optimistic) states he has been looking good during the off-season, if this is a good season or not, it's definitely going to be an interesting one for us.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think that the first game of the season that Atogwe will be lining up at FS. No doubt in my mind. I really liked what he did last year and what he brings to the table. I think that Jerome Carter is a good guy too. Reminds me a lot of Archuletta. I think that he isn't meant for the FS position as SS. He is built more for lining up in the box and taking the running back's head off.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

carter and atogwe will be lining up with each other for years to come... chavous has a couple of good years left in him, he will be a godd mentor for the younger players.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Yeah chavous should have like 3 years left, in the future I see Hill and Bartell being one of the best CBs Duals and Carter and Atogwe be strong Ss