Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Atogwe hopes to remain with Rams

Third-year free safety topped NFC with eight interceptions
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --After leading the NFC in interceptions this season, St. Louis Rams free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe will be one of the more attractive restricted free agents this spring.

The Rams will retain matching rights to an any offer Atogwe receives. They'll also receive compensation in the form of draft picks from any team signing Atogwe depending on what level of one-year tender offer they make to him.

The Rams would be wise to tender Atogwe at a first-round level to dissuade teams from pursuing him.

"I don't even worry about all of that," Atogwe said of being a restricted free agent. "My job is to come out here and work hard and play, and that all takes care of itself. It's not even a concern of mine."

Asked whether he wanted to remain with the Rams, Atogwe said: "I definitely enjoy being here. I don't know what my future holds. I'm just going to continue to count my blessings and see what happens."

Atogwe said the Rams' 3-13 season didn't dampen his desire to return to the team.

"It's not like we were a 3-13 team with guys who didn't like each other or guys who just didn't care about their jobs," Atogwe said. "There wasn't that feeling at all. We just had some bad breaks, and we didn't capitalize on some opportunities we had.

"It's not a situation where we have a bunch of losers in the locker room. I'd love to come back here."

Atogwe picked off his eighth pass of the season in the Rams' 48-19 season-ending loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

Atogwe returned the interception 52 yards late in the third quarter for his first NFL touchdown.

"I wasn't really able to enjoy it because I was feeling so bad, but I hadn't had a pick six since maybe high school," Atogwe said. "It's definitely a long time coming and something I'll cherish."

Atogwe played against the Cardinals despite battling a stomach virus.

"It was never a situation where I wasn't going to play," Atogwe said. "It was just how much could I take, how much could I get through. I was throwing up all day, all morning. The team needed me, and I'm just here to serve."

Atogwe's eight interceptions ranked second in the NFL behind the 10 grabbed by San Diego's Antonio Cromartie.

It's also the most interceptions by a Rams player since Dexter McCleon had eight in 2000.

"It's a great honor," Atogwe said of leading the NFC in interceptions. "There's a lot of great football players in the NFC and AFC. I'm truly blessed."

Atogwe, a third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft out of Stanford, said his personal accomplishments in his breakout season took a back seat to the team's struggles.

"You're happy that you're playing well, but you'd always trade your individual success for team success," Atogwe said. "There's nothing like playing in January and February. That's what you really remember when it's all said and done."

Atogwe said he believes the Rams can quickly turn around their fortunes.

"This season is disappointing, but it has nothing to do with next year," Atogwe said. "We all know if that we put in that work and we come back and improve on the things we did, you never know what can happen."

PHAT-MONEY Guest

Re: Atogwe hopes to remain with Rams

good.. now we just have to get him back

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

You'll got to really look at this in perspective ...

This single player, OJ Atogwe, was SINGLE-HANDEDLY responsible for stopping EIGHT opponents drives, many of them deep into our territory ...

On his own, he prevented as many as 56 points from being put on the board. It doesn't matter much when you are 3-13, but imagine if we were competetive?

PHAT-MONEY Guest

we just need a SS On The Other Side.. Kenny Phillips??

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You'll got to really look at this in perspective ...

This single player, OJ Atogwe, was SINGLE-HANDEDLY responsible for stopping EIGHT opponents drives, many of them deep into our territory ...

On his own, he prevented as many as 56 points from being put on the board. It doesn't matter much when you are 3-13, but imagine if we were competetive?

That sounds good and all, but no one player singlehandedly does anything on a football field. I do agree however, that he is a top priority.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

marshall faulk Vs The Browns Maybe?? i Do Remember That Game. No Blocking At All.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "You're happy that you're playing well, but you'd always trade your individual success for team success," Atogwe said. "There's nothing like playing in January and February. That's what you really remember when it's all said and done."

Atogwe said he believes the Rams can quickly turn around their fortunes.

"This season is disappointing, but it has nothing to do with next year," Atogwe said. "We all know if that we put in that work and we come back and improve on the things we did, you never know what can happen."
    That alone is reason enough to resign him. With all of the negatives that have swirled around this club in the past year it is refreshing to hear something inspiring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

He obviously needs to come back to the Rams. He needs a good contract, he is a quality player and one of the only bright spots of this year.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    we just need a SS On The Other Side.. Kenny Phillips??
    This is the player I want the Rams to get. I know we need a de and o-line but both of those needs can be filled in free agency. I look at teams like the Colts and Ravens where their safties are the heart of their defense. I think Phillips could really help this team on the defensive side of the ball. So if we can trade down a few spots compile a few extra picks and still get Phillips it would be a great move.
    Just Fix It

blood85 is offline Registered User

O.A. really stepped up this year, one of the few bright spots on our defense, along with Carriker.

blood85 is offline Registered User

I say we continue to build a defense around these two solid players.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

He saw how bummed we were being a losing team this year...he stepped it up.

I say he might even deserve a captain spot down the road.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

mark my words... if the rams pick up a great SS this offseason they will have a top 10 offense... the front 7 has become young and good enough to compete with anyone. The missing link in this defense is a hard hitting SS. Tye Hill next year will be one of the best corners in the league along with brown who is solid. bartell can be great but has some flaws and Wade can be a good nickel back next year

Mooselini is offline Registered User

who would you guys like to see as a SS as i read many posts saying we needed one.

Would we draft a good SS or go fishing in the free agency pool?

HornIt is offline Registered User

Atogwe has certainly improved, except for his tackling. It would be nice to have a FS that could tackle.

Depends on what it would cost to keep him. He's worth keeping but not worth big money, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast