Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    A-Web's Avatar
    A-Web is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    11

    Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010?

    Just opening up a thread because I have read in a couple locations that some people are writing Atogwe down as a franchise tag again this year. You can throw that concept out the window because of a few very obvious facts.

    1) If the Rams were to tag Atogwe this season, the way the one year salary would be averaged would be the top 5 players in the league. In the first and second franchise tags, it averages the top 5 at your position. In a third year of being franchise tagged, it averages the top 5 players in the league.

    Is Atogwe one of the top 5 players in the league? No. Is he one of the top 10? No. How about, dare I say, 50? I still do not think so.

    2) No matter how you look at it, we cannot keep writing off giant checks for a single player when we are attempting to rebuild an entire team. In fact, as ridiculous as it sounds, I would not be surprised if they attempt to restructure some of the key players contracts to open up space to acquire more talent.

    3) Atogwe has a good chance of not being a Ram in 2010. Although I believe he will sign a contract (he doesn't get much attention because he plays for the Rams, and he went out of the season on the IR, and will probably find his best offer inside the organization), and will more than likely remain in our services for another 3 years.

    Feel free to discuss below, but I felt it necessary to point this out, so that people will stop assuming we can just tag and bag Atogwe for yet another season. There are no guarantees. If I was incorrect in any of the facts stated, I appologize, and would be grateful for the correction.


  2. #2
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,408
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    Say what you want Atogwe is the a top 5 safety.

  3. #3
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,365
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    Two points...

    1) Pretty sure this would only be Atogwe's second franchise tag, not his third.

    2) If 2010 is an uncapped year, which it looks as if it'll be, then Atogwe will be a restricted free agent and the Rams will not have to use the tag to retain him.

  4. #4
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    The thread title is a little misleading as it reads like a quasi-official news item rather than an opinion.

    Anyway, I like Atogwe and hope he remains a Ram, but I agree with you that we cannot throw a boat-load of money at him. He's a good player, but he also has some holes in his game and I don't think it's in our best interests to sign him to a contract that will guarantee him money like, say, a top-3 safety. I do hope, however, we can work something out that will be beneficial for both teams.

  5. #5
    TheBritishRam's Avatar
    TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,139
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    This would be Atogwe's second year of being franchised, also I've read nowhere that a franchise tag means the average wage of the top 5 players in the league. As far as i know the money from a franchise tag is decided by either:
    1) The average of the highest 5 paid players at your position
    2) 120% of your previous year's salary
    Which ever is greater is what the player gets

    The franchise tag for a safety is the second lowest in the league (behind kicker/punter), so if you're going to franchise a player at one position, a safety wouldn't be the worst way to go.

  6. #6
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,184
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    This would be Atogwe's second year of being franchised, also I've read nowhere that a franchise tag means the average wage of the top 5 players in the league. As far as i know the money from a franchise tag is decided by either:
    1) The average of the highest 5 paid players at your position
    2) 120% of your previous year's salary
    Which ever is greater is what the player gets

    The franchise tag for a safety is the second lowest in the league (behind kicker/punter), so if you're going to franchise a player at one position, a safety wouldn't be the worst way to go.
    Exactly....I guess the real question is if Atogwe wants to remain a RAM or not?

  7. #7
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    Man this team isnt bad enough already yet a lot of people want to get rid of our best players i.e Atogwe and Jackson. We have been letting our players go for years which is why we are in the situation we are in now. Atogwe is a playmaker, our best playmaker on defense. He makes things happen whether it be an interception or forcing fumbles. He is a top five safety but if what we want is a top 30 safety then we should let him go and bring in some scrub to replace him.
    Just Fix It

  8. #8
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,365
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    The thread title is a little misleading as it reads like a quasi-official news item rather than an opinion.
    I edited in a question mark into the title to try and clarify this.

  9. #9
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,357
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Atogwe not to be tagged for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    Just opening up a thread because I have read in a couple locations that some people are writing Atogwe down as a franchise tag again this year. You can throw that concept out the window because of a few very obvious facts.

    1) If the Rams were to tag Atogwe this season, the way the one year salary would be averaged would be the top 5 players in the league. In the first and second franchise tags, it averages the top 5 at your position. In a third year of being franchise tagged, it averages the top 5 players in the league.

    Is Atogwe one of the top 5 players in the league? No. Is he one of the top 10? No. How about, dare I say, 50? I still do not think so.

    2) No matter how you look at it, we cannot keep writing off giant checks for a single player when we are attempting to rebuild an entire team. In fact, as ridiculous as it sounds, I would not be surprised if they attempt to restructure some of the key players contracts to open up space to acquire more talent.

    3) Atogwe has a good chance of not being a Ram in 2010. Although I believe he will sign a contract (he doesn't get much attention because he plays for the Rams, and he went out of the season on the IR, and will probably find his best offer inside the organization), and will more than likely remain in our services for another 3 years.

    Feel free to discuss below, but I felt it necessary to point this out, so that people will stop assuming we can just tag and bag Atogwe for yet another season. There are no guarantees. If I was incorrect in any of the facts stated, I appologize, and would be grateful for the correction.
    Atogwe has only been tagged once, no? So it's still "only' the average of the top 5 safeties. Last year that was 6.34 mill. Not peanuts but a lot less than a CB or OT, for eg..lol..There's some fine print variations-exclusive/non-exclusive- that affect the numbers but I think that's basically right.

    Never heard of a player being tagged 3 times but I know the top ten player deal applies to a transition tag which teams very rarely use . Nor have I read anything about a top 5 overall player in the league type rule for any tag. Where did you get that info?

    What I don't know is whether , as a guy who only has 5 years accrued, one of which was the one year franchise deal, does he revert to RFA status under the rules governing an uncapped year where it has been clearly stated in a number of articles on NFLdotcom, that players will need 6 yrs to achieve UFA status ?

    If he is RFA, the Rams can tender him an offer him a one year contract with a 10% increase on that 6.43 mill( that jumps to 20% for a UFA) & protect him from being snatched by another team because the new team need to give up picks as well as that hefty salary to get him.What kind of pick deal varies on the level of the tender and his original draft round.

    The only obvious thing about this situation is that Spags loves the guy. I agree that it isn't a good idea to tie up that much cash in one player for one year but I doubt the first year of a longterm deal inc signing bonus would be much less & we do have a lot of cap room, if that's even relevant.
    .
    I also don't think any of the FS on the roster is up to filling his shoes; Roach as the starter?! Even if OJ isn't one of the top 5 in the league, he's pretty good & I thought improved a number of weaknesses last season; less freelancing, better tackling esp in run support.I don't think the "past his best' argument works here as it sorta did for many others that were let go last year.

    And the freakin' CBA has messed everything up. It's really hard to know what players will be available & at what cost to replace current ones or fill the many gaps The Rams still have.In a "normal" year I think you'd have a stronger argument. The fact that Devaney/Demoff went with a chunky tag in a year when the team was wickedly cash-strapped suggests he isn't willing to sell the longterm farm for a safety,either.

    A longterm deal is clearly the best option but a second tag of some kind may be the lesser of two evils.

    Unless you want to give up our own picks to get one of the upcoming FA picks if there's no CBA-most of those guys like Bethea will definitely revert to RFA- or draft Berry or Mays ( and aren't both more SS than FS?) or throw a lot of money at one of the upcomers to get him to the Rams even if there is a CBA.

    I also think there were encouraging signs of a good partnership between OJ & Butler. Got derailed a bit by Butler's injury and other injury problems among the DBs but I'd think long & hard about messing up that part of the foundation for a short term savings when we, for once, have the dough.

Similar Threads

  1. Atogwe Injury Decision Awaits
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
  2. Atogwe Unconcerned with Free Agent Status
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
  3. Atogwe steps up as a takeaway artist for the Rams
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
  4. Atogwe No Average Joe
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
  5. Atogwe Settling in as Starter
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -09-21-2006, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •