berg8309 is offline Registered User

Atrophy in left leg slows WR Alexander

By Jim Thomas | Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 10:35 am
    After only five practices as a St. Louis Ram, it wasn't unusual that wide receiver Danario Alexander didn't play in Thursday's preseason finale against Baltimore. But unlike last week's contest at New England, Alexander didn't even dress for the Ravens game.
    Frequently, players close to coming back from injury -- or in the case of say, Steven Jackson, veterans who are going to be rested that night -- dress and participate in pregame warmup just to get in a workout. But Alexander didn't even do that Thursday at the Edward Jones Dome.
    Afterwards, coach Steve Spagnuolo told the Post-Dispatch that atrophy to muscles in Alexander's left leg -- where he's coming off February knee surgery -- has the team concerned about injury from overcompensation.
    Simply stated, Alexander isn't yet ready to play in a game situation. With final roster cuts coming this weekend, what this means for his status on the final roster remains to be seen.
    If the Rams think Alexander is several weeks away from being ready to play in a game, keeping him on the 53-man roster may be a luxury the team can't afford.
    One of the first things I thought was how real this injury was. Is it really an injury, or just enough of one that the Rams hope it will scare off other teams when they put DA on the practice squad?

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Atrophy in left leg slows WR Alexander

I think we all knew that DA would be on the practice squad and a project that we can call to for next season

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Yeah i do believe he's destined for the PS too. Its gunna be a shame if we put a decent amount of effort into coaching him up this year and then someone else signs him off the squad late in the year.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

That is sort of why I wondered how significant this problem really is. Is it a real problem, or just enough of one it can listed and scare some teams off of him who might be interested down the road.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it's probably real. There just wasn't that much interest in Alexander before he signed with us. He wasn't signed in the rush to pick up priority UDFAs immediately after the draft and didn't land with us until August. I'm not down on DA by any means, but I think he'd be safe on our practice squad.