Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The attitude and mentality of this team is ticking me off. Coaches and players.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The attitude and mentality of this team is ticking me off. Coaches and players.

Wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker and linebacker Ben Leber were inactive for St. Louis. Neither player was listed on the team's injury report this week. "We weren't trying to send any messages," Spagnuolo said. "We just put out the guys out there that we thought would help us win the game."
    This really proves my point that Spags is not a winner, and has no confidence in what he is doing. Not trying to send any messages? Seriously? Hell yes you better be sending a message to these two guys. They are not performing even CLOSE to the minimum they were expected to perform. Spags, change your tampon and be a man.

I posted this in another thread too, and it explains the difference between San Fran and us. It's because of Jim Harbaugh. He knows how to use the talent he is given with, and his mentality is one of a winner. He puts everything he has behind his players, and he leads through energy, passion, excitement, and just pure testosterone. That is what football is all about. I love how his players responded so well when Jim Schwartz tried to chase him down. Alex Boone especially, the dude charged his way into the pile. You can see that San Fran is fully believing in the message of their new coach, and the results show it.

With us, Spags is trying to gently mentor, and do things softly his own way. The effects of that is an undisciplined team, who is undoubtely the most passive, tamest, unaggressive team in the league. We have no desire, no spark. Players come here and regress, and that is both the coaches and players fault. When a player does something bad, he doesn't get the consequences. Instead, he gets gentle talking. THAT IS NOT FOOTBALL. Please. That isn't any sport to be exact. Let's not kid ourselves. Football is a man sport, and these are grown men playing. The times of being gently mentored is well behind them. They aren't in 7th grade middle school anymore. It's time to be damn gladiators on the field.

One thing that ticks me off the most is that players that have had success in the league come here, and fall apart.

Sims-Walker, Harvey Dahl, Jason Brown, Jacob Bell. You name it, they do it. It is really sad to see, and I blame this on the coaching staff, especially Steve Loney. Get your ass out off St. Louis.

I want to see this team play like excited, confident winners, and being led in the same fashion. Instead, it is the exact opposite.

Spags' body language and tempo tells it all. When your team sees its coach with a body language of a coward, it feeds off the bad mentality, and it starts playing like cowards.

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MENTALITY, ALL ABOUT THE BODY LANGUAGE, AND ALL ABOUT HOW YOU PORTRAY YOURSELF TO THE PEOPLE YOU ARE TRYING TO LEAD.

I've got plenty of experience in knowing what leadership is, and how to do it. And it pains me to see the lack of experience Spags and the rest of this coaching staff has.

If you want your team to play and be winners, you portray yourself as a winner and a gamer. You get your body language up, you get pumped. You passionately share your team's successes, and you get on them when they make mistakes. This is life. Players respect coaches like these. That's how great coaches are born. They command the respect and attention of the people they are coaching.

I'm disappointed in this team, and its so called leaders. Football is a game of men fighting like gladiators. Instead, we play like we have nothing to win.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: The attitude and mentality of this team is ticking me off. Coaches and players.

Couldn't have said it any better. Simply put: A joke. After Kendricks dropped that gimme first down on 4th and 6 at the end of the game they panned to Spags. And what was he doing? Scratching his freakin palms!!! I want my coach to be like sit your ass on that bench, and let him have it. Instead we get an oh well look.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: The attitude and mentality of this team is ticking me off. Coaches and players.

Will our players come out next week and commit the same penalties and drop the same balls? Yes.

Would a Tom Coughlin team make the same mistakes 2 weeks in a row? Yeah, I dont think so.

Nuff said.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Spags might have said he wasn't sending any messages, but think about this: If you were a player, and you get benched, and your coach says you were benched because the other guy gives you a better chance at winning the game, then thats a message. Thats saying you arent good enough to help this team win. But Spags doesnt need to advertise that he is sending a message. Its pretty obvious he is.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Dude I love Spags to death and personally think he should be our coach next year as well but Come On Really? IF someone drops a ball, has a drive killing penalty, or a blown coverage/missed block he needs to get their KOOL-AID without no sugar dammit!! At least a little.. something! Or at least have a look of Bill Bilacheat, a look of patheticness to let them be scared of when they leave the stadium they might leave with a pink slip. Give us something!
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -10-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    AlphaRam and Tampa_Ram like this.

To be honest, I have to say I always thought Spags was more "gritty" and "fiery" than he has shown so far

whatever those two actually mean when it comes to NFL coaches!

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Spags might have said he wasn't sending any messages, but think about this: If you were a player, and you get benched, and your coach says you were benched because the other guy gives you a better chance at winning the game, then thats a message. Thats saying you arent good enough to help this team win. But Spags doesnt need to advertise that he is sending a message. Its pretty obvious he is.
    Then he should directly say he is sending a message. Let them know WHY he is benching them. By just saying he is trying to put players on the field that makes us have the best possible chance to win doesn't really mean anything. There's multiple reasons for doing that, like activating a specials team player or having a young rookie improving and trying to get him more playing time.

If you're sending a message, let them know it. Let them know it's not okay that they're riding the bench. Because they are still getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    To be honest, I have to say I always thought Spags was more "gritty" and "fiery" than he has shown so far

whatever those two actually mean when it comes to NFL coaches!
    You don't know how a coach can be fiery and gritty? Apply for a FO position then

hotshotnate1 is offline Registered User

You do know that its an indirect way to send a message right? It goes along with body language. Nothing needs to be said because you can get the idea based on their reactions. Should Spags be yelling at some of these guys for mistakes? Sure. But if you just yell and yell at your players then they'll lose faith in you kinda like what happened to Singletary. Spags is not the guy to throw a guy under the bus and I wouldn't want a coach that does

Quote Originally Posted by hotshotnate1 View Post
    You do know that its an indirect way to send a message right? It goes along with body language. Nothing needs to be said because you can get the idea based on their reactions. Should Spags be yelling at some of these guys for mistakes? Sure. But if you just yell and yell at your players then they'll lose faith in you kinda like what happened to Singletary. Spags is not the guy to throw a guy under the bus and I wouldn't want a coach that does
    Again, read what I wrote concerning his "indirect" message.

Am I saying that all he should do is yell, yell, and yell more? No. Please read my thread again carefully.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I think both approaches can work. For whatever reason, it aint working out so-far this year but i wont put that all on the coach. Players have to decide too whether they want to go out and play on Sunday.

Im ramblin with no real point but the finger pointing can wait till the Rams off-season starts. Analyse all aspects of the team environment from top to bottom (watch out new equipment manager). No job will be safe this off-season. That i think is what Kroenke will do this off-season, he will tear it down if he feels this aint working but he will give Spags every opportunity to keep his job next year. A new owner that has alot of history with running sports franchises will make his mark one way or another.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

I agree with the OP. Very passive and it starts at the top

I disagree. I can't see how shouting at a guy because he drops a pass or misses a tackle solves anything.

And if you think Spags doesn't have passion, then have a look at him when the refs make a bad call against us.

Getting on the back of your own guys doesn't make you a leader, it makes you a bully, and you lose respect from the players. Coming out in the press and calling guys out doesn't help things either.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Isn't MSW cut from the team? How much clearer of a message do you need? C'mon!
    Tampa_Ram and Ramendola16 like this.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

I find it hard to believe that Spags doesn't give the players some chewing behind closed doors. He's mild mannered on gameday, sure. But at practice? I can't help but think that there's a little more going on there. I would love to see a little more fire out of him, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast