View Poll Results: Will Kroenke's approval impact the Bradford decision?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 12.50%
  • No

14 87.50%
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

August 25 and September 12: Are They Connected?

I know... kind of a cryptic thread title.

August 25 is the day when Stan Kroenke might be voted in as the new majority owner of the Rams. While there would be some paperwork and process remaining to complete the transaction, that is also the day on which Kroenke might be able to start weilding influence over the operation of the team (informally, at least).

The question is... will the transition to Kroenke impact opening day (September 12) or, more specifically, the decision as to whether Sam Bradford will play on September 12.

Some sportwriters believe that Devaney/Spagnuolo are under pressure to impress Kroenke quickly or face a short tenure. Will that prompt them to throw caution to the wind and throw Bradford to the wolves?

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: August 25 and September 12: Are They Connected?

If there is one thing we should know about this coaching team already, it's that they have a plan and are sticking to it, and we are all hoping it works. They have been steady with it to this point. I don't think anyone can say that Spags is a guy who ever "throws caution to the wind".

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I'm fairly certain Kroenke is well aware of what Devany and Spags inherited, were promised in terms of rebuilding time, and are doing for the program.

In fact, I would be exrtremely disappointed if he exhibited that kind of impatience. The 'chicken salad' is going to take a bit longer, given the original ingredients.

As to whether he may tip the scales in deciding whether or not to start Bradford, he certainly has a right to an opinion, (and more), but I feel he would defer to Spags and Devaney, although I have no factual reason for thinking so.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My gut feeling is Billy and Spags are going to stick with their plan regardless of what happens regarding an owner. Spags will play the best QB come Sept 12th, and it very likely will be Bradford if recent reports on his progress are to be believed.

DeSpags surely have the utmost faith in their plan, and are not likely to "jump ship" just because a new owner is announced. Showing improvement and getting wins are the criteria for job security with regard to Billy and Steve. At the same time, Kroenke is a savvy business man and already an experienced owner of pro teams. I doubt he'll want to do or say anything to interfere with the turnaround Billy and Spags are trying to implement. Add to that the possibiliy Stan was most likely kept well informed at the least, (if not actually asked for his counsel), when Billy and Spagnuolo were brought on board - and in particular when Spags was hired. I find it of interest that after Stan K. matched Kahn's bid, Chip immediately gave his wholehearted approval to Silent Stan, and actually came out and said he hoped Stan would prevail as the Rams' new owner. There certainly is no rule preventing a majority owner and a minority owner of the same team from having the occasional chat behind the scenes .. The only one that knows what really went down during the period of time the Rams were for sale is the fly on the wall ..

We've got 4 preseason games to play, and if Sam shows improvement each game, he's got a good chance to be named the starter in week one of the regular season IMO. If he stumbles badly enough, then Spags will start someone else .. I just don't see Spags as the type who will resort to knee-jerk decisions regarding who starts at any position simply because he feels pressure from a new owner. Besides, it's hard to equate Stan with owners like Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, or Al Davis ...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It ain't Kroenke's first rodeo. He's not a kid with a new toy. He'll let it play out until the nose turns down. I'd be shocked if he came in dictated personnel choices.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod