Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Austin Only Plays 4 Snaps, Is it An Issue?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Austin Only Plays 4 Snaps, Is it An Issue?

ramsbruce brought this up in another thread, and it was something I didn't even realize. Austin was only in for 4 plays yesterday, which surprised me. My guess is that Fisher will say it's no big deal, and that it's just how things worked out, but could it be a big deal?

I'm not going to read too much into it unless he has limited snaps in the game against Carolina, but it does make me take pause considering what we did to get him, and the fact that in the preseason, Fisher spoke about all the ways he was going to be used in the offense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Austin Only Plays 4 Snaps, Is it An Issue?

Through the first four games, Austin averaged nearly 49 snaps per game. He's had 27 total in the past two games combined. I agree that it's not something to overreact over now, but they simply need to do a better job finding ways to get him involved on offense, even with a gameplan that features more running than perhaps initially intended.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

The Rams have clearly changed the plan, more 12 personnel means less three and four receiver sets. The Pats used two TEs with Hernandez and Gronk and still got the ball to Wes Welker a ton. I'm not worried. The plays they ran in the spread to Austin stunk. Lets hope they can create some plays out of the 12 that create some space. I think this game was just a strange game. Against the Jags he had what six targets, he will get his.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

TA, is a wonderful acquisition still. Thing is he is an {X} factor player and works best when there are multiple threats to contend with; most can agree the Rams play calling and other weapons on offense have been subpar or hit-or-miss at best. Now if the Rams can acquire more depth at WR or acquire a solid running attack, TA becomes a greater part of the playbook.

However what is disturbing is the Rams do have TA and Cook--one would think working them in tandem on the same side of the field would yield a greater return...shades of Holt/Bruce tandem play. Fisher ought to know something about that, having seen it first hand

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

He's best suited in the 11 personnel or dime sets. When our O-line is comfortable enough to have 5 or 6 guys blocking in the trenches consistently, we should be able to utilize the best of Austin's abilities. The Cowboys and Whiners game brought flashbacks of Josh McDaniels. While we do have the talent to run that, we don't have the chemistry on offense yet. Continuity is a crucial factor for running a pass happy offense since it emphasizes on the precision of route running and timing of the rhythm between a QB and a receiver. Oh and don't forget reliable pass protection,

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

macrammer is offline Registered User

Interesting....do you think they can stop the swing pass that each weeks seems to go nowhere? Obvious the D is focused on the guy. I liked the 25 yarder against the Jags. That was a key play and got Austin out in open space.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    ramsbruce brought this up in another thread, and it was something I didn't even realize. Austin was only in for 4 plays yesterday, which surprised me. My guess is that Fisher will say it's no big deal, and that it's just how things worked out, but could it be a big deal?

I'm not going to read too much into it unless he has limited snaps in the game against Carolina, but it does make me take pause considering what we did to get him, and the fact that in the preseason, Fisher spoke about all the ways he was going to be used in the offense.
    It's not a big deal yet, but if his snaps keep trending downward it will become a big deal. Unless of course we keep winning, then it's no problem at all.

I wonder if Schotty is the right guy to get the most out of Tavon. So far I'm not that impressed. It's still early, so we will see.

Oh and please stick TA on KR duty. Thanks in advance.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I wonder if Schotty is the right guy to get the most out of Tavon.
    This has been the $64,000 since he was drafted, and it's not a great sign that we're still asking it.
    Rambos and ramsbruce like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post

I wonder if Schotty is the right guy to get the most out of Tavon. So far I'm not that impressed. It's still early, so we will
    i contend the answer is, and forever will be, no.

But I certainly hope I'm wrong. Maybe they just need some time to figure each other out.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe Schotty should get on a conference call with the folks at West Virginia?

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Maybe Schotty should get on a conference call with the folks at West Virginia?
    I would prefer that he get a one way ticket out of town.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If us winning means Tavon Austin isn't out on the field, then I don't ever want to see him out there again. It's simple really. We tried to be someone we weren't and it costed us a few games. Schotty needs to find a way to incorporate Austin into our offense (whichever it may be) otherwise he was a complete waste of a top 10 pick.

THE DREAM TEAM

emuen is online now Registered User

In the two weeks Austin have combined for 27 plays, the Rams have scored 34 and 38 points. If they can put up that kind of numbers without him, then I say let them. He is not a wasted pick because he doesn't set the world on fire, in his first season at WR, and I won't blame the Offensive Coordinator for leaving a rookie on the bench, when the offensive unit is doing better than it has in five years (over the last two games).

I'm also thinking it might have been intended that Austin saw more snaps, but that the way the games turned out they adjusted the game plan?

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If Austin was averaging 20 yards a catch every game then it sure as heck would be an issue. But right now he's still a rookie and this is normally how the nfl gets their star rookies acclimated to the faster pace of the game. Remember, his tiny frame can crumble on a monsterous hit from a major player and i think it should be kept this way until he finally gets more confidence. His speed and shiftiness will allow him to improve and get into space. Just be patient, it'll come.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's not forget that Sam Bradford threw his final pass in that game with 5:20 left in the 3rd Quarter. After that, the Rams scored 2 TDs on special teams and defense, and used all of their offensive plays to run the clock down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast