Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Austin Only Plays 4 Snaps, Is it An Issue?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Austin Only Plays 4 Snaps, Is it An Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's not forget that Sam Bradford threw his final pass in that game with 5:20 left in the 3rd Quarter. After that, the Rams scored 2 TDs on special teams and defense, and used all of their offensive plays to run the clock down.
    Excellent point. Including the PAT, that final pass from Bradford made it 24-6. The offense did not see the field again until 11:56 remaining in the 4th quarter and a 38-6 lead on the board. They ran 6 plays from that point until the end of the game; 3 runs for Stacy, 3 runs for Cunningham.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I think Tavon Austin was on the field alot previously because they were using him in the short pass game to replace the lack of a run game? Hoping he makes a big play.
    He just hasn't been able to get the first defender to miss.

Now that Fisher has decided to go with the smash mouth run game Austin is on the sidelines because of the need for bigger body and better blockers.

I would like to see Austin used in the run/screen game. He is a playmaker and we need to allow him opportunities to break one here or there. Reverses, screen passes something that allows him to show his talents!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Just wondering, if Schotty is incapable of learning offensive plays which utilize the abilities of Austin, what does that say about Fisher's intelligence when he chose Schotty to be the offensive coordinator? It just seems to me if people think Schotty is that stupid, it really says a lot about how stupid Fisher must be and wouldn't that mean he should be fired asap also?

Schotty isn't the problem.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Just wondering, if Schotty is incapable of learning offensive plays which utilize the abilities of Austin, what does that say about Fisher's intelligence when he chose Schotty to be the offensive coordinator? It just seems to me if people think Schotty is that stupid, it really says a lot about how stupid Fisher must be and wouldn't that mean he should be fired asap also?

Schotty isn't the problem.
    Just wondering, if Kroenke is inacapable of hiring a head coach who would hire an OC who is capable of learning offensive plays which utilize the abilities of Austin,what does that say about Kroenke's intelligence when he chose Fisher and gave him the power to choose Schotty to be the offensive coordinator? It just seems to me if people think Schotty is stupid, and if Fisher was stupid enough to hire him, it really says a lot about how stupid Kroenke must be and wouldn't that mean that he has no business owning the team?

Fisher isn't the problem.
    Torry Holt likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Through the first four games, Austin averaged nearly 49 snaps per game. He's had 27 total in the past two games combined. I agree that it's not something to overreact over now, but they simply need to do a better job finding ways to get him involved on offense, even with a gameplan that features more running than perhaps initially intended.
    I'm starting to think Tavon is a major liability in the running game, obivously because of his size.

It doesn't make much sense to me to draft a guy that doesn't mesh well with your OCs run-first philosophy, especially when you as the HC like to run the ball as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Just wondering, if Kroenke is inacapable of hiring a head coach who would hire an OC who is capable of learning offensive plays which utilize the abilities of Austin,what does that say about Kroenke's intelligence when he chose Fisher and gave him the power to choose Schotty to be the offensive coordinator? It just seems to me if people think Schotty is stupid, and if Fisher was stupid enough to hire him, it really says a lot about how stupid Kroenke must be and wouldn't that mean that he has no business owning the team?

Fisher isn't the problem.
    Wow, that's rather extreme to think Kroenke has no business owning a team but hey, you have the right to have that opinion.

Fisher is the only person from the Rams front office that I've heard who has declared what the offense will NOT be and it will NOT be a hurry up offense that exposes the Rams defense. That's all I know about any of it.

I suspect Schotty is mentally capable of learning and calling plays that utilize a fast WR. He learned the Spurrier offense as a college QB so he must have a clue how to operate a spread offense that utilizes speedy receivers.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -10-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I'm starting to think Tavon is a major liability in the running game, obivously because of his size.

It doesn't make much sense to me to draft a guy that doesn't mesh well with your OCs run-first philosophy, especially when you as the HC like to run the ball as well.
    Cook doesn't mesh well with a run-first philosophy either, so why spend big free agent money and draft picks to add two weapons that don't fit the philosophy?

A possible, more logical explanation might be that they did indeed want to shift the philosophy, but realize they aren't quite there yet and so they've reverted back to something they're comfortable with.
    bruce4life and DE_Ramfan like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Cook doesn't mesh well with a run-first philosophy either, so why spend big free agent money and draft picks to add two weapons that don't fit the philosophy?

A possible, more logical explanation might be that they did indeed want to shift the philosophy, but realize they aren't quite there yet and so they've reverted back to something they're comfortable with.
    I believe you will eventually see a combintation of both offensive schemes by end of the year.
    Nick likes this.

I'd say that's exactly the reality, especially considering Fisher's declaration that it's a new season after 4 games and they are reverting back to a run focused offense. Thank goodness they drafted Zac Stacy.
    As the season rolls on I think we'll see the offense develop that we hoped to see.

Rambos is offline Registered User

“We’re gonna be a lot more ‘11,’ a lot more ‘12’ personnel,” Bradford said.

This quote is from camp. It's not like we where just a spread offense this year and added the 12 the last two weeks. We have been running both all year, we are now using the 12 more that's all. I will not be surprised at all once we get the running game clearly established over the next couple of weeks we start seeing the 11 get used more often. We just could not run the ball out of the spread. Was that DRich on a bad wheel? Can Stacy run the ball out of the 11?

At some point we have to get back to using the 11, if not either Cook or Austin will be watching more then playing.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-16-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Flippin' Ram likes this.

On the TD to Harkey they had 4 TEs on the field at the same time.
    Ah, the 14 offense! They also ran the 13 several times.
    Nick likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Tavon Austin disappearing from St. Louis Rams offense ..

By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer

When the St. Louis Rams traded up to select Tavon Austin at No. 8 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft, they had visions of Percy Harvin dancing in their heads. What they have seen through six games more closely resembles Dexter McCluster.

Austin's playing time has declined steadily over the past four games, culminating in a season-low three offensive snaps in Sunday's blowout victory over the Houston Texans.

"It's just the way the game went," coach Jeff Fisher said, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "We didn't have a whole lot of plays, didn't have a lot of opportunities on offense."

Fisher's explanation checks out, as the Rams ran Austin's "11" personnel package on just seven snaps in Week 6. The approach has changed on offense the past two weeks, with Sam Bradford passing the ball just 41 percent of the time versus 71 percent in the first four games.

That said, it's abundantly clear that the coaching staff's preseason plans to showcase Austin's explosiveness and versatility have long since been ditched.

One of the least effective receivers in the NFL thus far, Austin has dropped seven passes and forced just two missed tackles while averaging a scant 6.03 yards on 28 offensive touches.

As McCluster has already discovered over the past four years, the elite tackling skills and speed of NFL linebackers make it difficult for an undersized player such as Austin to operate in traffic.

As we have discussed several times on the Around The League Podcast, Austin's size and power limitations leave the onus on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to scheme ways to get the ball in Austin's hands in space.

Whether or not Austin has reached a level in his development that will allow him to be showcased, Schottenheimer's plans for the uniquely talented player remain as hazy as the Rams' offensive identity.

Would a more advanced offensive coaching staff find a way to unlock Austin's game-breaking potential?

It's hard to say with certainty, but the evidence against this regime's ability to develop skill-position talent is piling up with 2012 second-round draft picks Isaiah Pead and Brian Quick also relegated to minor roles.

Well .. that's one side of the coin there Chris ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; -10-17-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12