Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    richtree is offline Registered User

Austin Pettis Likely to make Rams debut Sunday

Rams rookie Austin Pettis revealed that his reps were increased in practice this week, indicating he may make his debut in Week 3.

The Rams' third-round pick, Pettis was a healthy scratch in Weeks 1 and 2. "I got some decent reps with the offense this week, so hopefully I can get in there and make some plays," he said. Pettis also fielded punts in practice, on the heels of fellow rookie Greg Salas' fumbled punt last Monday night. If Pettis is active against Baltimore, it could send Salas back to the bench.

Alexander provies some deep threat and when Danny comes back along with Kendricks i think I feel confident.
    If Pettis can provide any kind of over the middle threat, especially on 3rd down it should be a nice chemistry.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Re: Austin Pettis Likely to make Rams debut Sunday

Just what we need.....another young, likely un-clutch, WR.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'm hoping Pettis's reps are outside the slot, we're too loaded at the slot position and even though Salas was a major head scratcher, I still want him to get the experience on the field to better himself. It seems like one game of two crucial mistakes and everyone wants him out of St. Louis but all our young players are going to need to play trial by fire as much as they can.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Don't forget Clayton will be back soon too.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I'm hoping Pettis's reps are outside the slot, we're too loaded at the slot position and even though Salas was a major head scratcher, I still want him to get the experience on the field to better himself. It seems like one game of two crucial mistakes and everyone wants him out of St. Louis but all our young players are going to need to play trial by fire as much as they can.
    I agree that our young guys need in game playing experience. Actually, the sooner the better. The thing that gets me going are all the "he's a rookie" excuses. Look Salas has been asked to catch the ball. This is something he's probably done a gazillion times leading up to his shot at being an NFL player.

JUST CATCH THE BALL WHEN IT"S CATCHABLE. Is that too much to ask?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

This is good news in my opinion, Bradford is crying out for an big, reliable target over the middle. It would be beautiful if they could start hitting it off in games, this is what he was drafted to do, so go do it.! Its in the red zone where I feel the Rams will want to use Pettis, if he is indeed, deemed active.?

macrammer is offline Registered User

Really, I have not seen many "Get Salas out of St Louis" threads or comments. I do think it is a reasonable expectation that if he is on roster, in lineup and gets thrown to, he catches ball. Sames goes for all Rams players, not just Salas. Good luck Mr. Pettis.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Really, I have not seen many "Get Salas out of St Louis" threads or comments. I do think it is a reasonable expectation that if he is on roster, in lineup and gets thrown to, he catches ball. Sames goes for all Rams players, not just Salas. Good luck Mr. Pettis.
    I meant it more as a knee-jerk reaction to wanting Salas not being part of the game because of a few crucial mistakes he's made. I'm not gonna mention any names here but it's really depressing to hear a few Rams fans with the patience of a chihuahua, especially with what Salas had to work with the offseason.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If Pettis plays, he will replace Salas. I am actually looking forward to seeing him out there. Couldn't have been much worse than what Salas did last week. I want to see what Pettis can offer. Other than that, I want to see DX, MSW, Gibby and Kendricks do work.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

We just can't have any mistakes, rook or no rook, That excuse is no option. Rams have no need for incompetence.
    Let Salas ride the pine and think about it! Pettis better be ready, he's signed the contract with Mr. D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

In the heat of battle it's hard to forgive dropped passes at critical moments in a game. Salas and Pettis are rookies and are going through their growing pains. I don't think anyone including the coaching staff and Billy D. know how these two will turn out for sure - let alone us the fans. My own personal belief (and hope) is that the light will go on for them at some point when they've had enough reps for the game to slow down for them and they can then let their natural skills take over. There have been plenty of NFL receivers not possessed of dazzling forty times who've had great careers and scored lots of touchdowns. No reason to believe Salas and Pettis can't join that group.

Salas set the single season record for catches and receiving yards at University of Hawaii with 119 catches, 1889 yards and 14 touchdowns. Pettis is Boise State's all time leader in receiving touchdowns with 39. It appears it's going to take a while for these two respectively to adjust to the NFL level - learn J-Mac's playbook etc; but there is no reason at this stage to think they never will. Let us not forget there was no off-season, no OTA's, no minicamps, and no contact with the coaching staff. I'll be the first to admit I have a tantrum every time any of our receivers drop a catchable pass - particularly in critical 3rd down situations, or the redzone. That said, after said game is over, I try and let go of it and get my hopes up anew for the next opponent (I'll admit this often takes 48 + hours)... Hopefully we get a win tomorrow !!!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    In the heat of battle it's hard to forgive dropped passes at critical moments in a game. Salas and Pettis are rookies and are going through their growing pains. I don't think anyone including the coaching staff and Billy D. know how these two will turn out for sure - let alone us the fans. My own personal belief (and hope) is that the light will go on for them at some point when they've had enough reps for the game to slow down for them and they can then let their natural skills take over. There have been plenty of NFL receivers not possessed of dazzling forty times who've had great careers and scored lots of touchdowns. No reason to believe Salas and Pettis can't join that group.

Salas set the single season record for catches and receiving yards at University of Hawaii with 119 catches, 1889 yards and 14 touchdowns. Pettis is Boise State's all time leader in receiving touchdowns with 39. It appears it's going to take a while for these two respectively to adjust to the NFL level - learn J-Mac's playbook etc; but there is no reason at this stage to think they never will. Let us not forget there was no off-season, no OTA's, no minicamps, and no contact with the coaching staff. I'll be the first to admit I have a tantrum every time any of our receivers drop a catchable pass - particularly in critical 3rd down situations, or the redzone. That said, after said game is over, I try and let go of it and get my hopes up anew for the next opponent (I'll admit this often takes 48 + hours)... Hopefully we get a win tomorrow !!!

A man with wisdom!

richtree is offline Registered User

Pettis has great hands , so that is all Sam Needs right now

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Pettis has great hands , so that is all Sam Needs right now
    And yet those hands were non-existent in the preseason with only 1 catch for 6 yards against the Titans... I hope I'm wrong though because I'll be down for some crow tomorrow (no Raven-pun intended )

BM_Face is online now Registered User

Pettis had one catch and one drop in the pre-season. I will be super pumped if Pettis plays. Being thrown to a couple times in the pre-season is not a real evaluation.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast