general counsel is offline Registered User

available kick returner for rams

Seattle cut ponder, who i think is a pretty good kick returner. Is he an upgrade from jr reed at this point? I think the question with reed is whether he can be a contributor on defense or special teams other than kick returning. I think ponder is pretty one dimensional, but if reed cant do anything else because of the injury, you have the same issue with him.

any thoughts on willie ponder as a potential ram?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: available kick returner for rams

His numbers are about the same as what we are doing. Not sure as a WR he could help us. McDonald wants out next year, he is 26 years old.

willie ponders numbers.
    Played 6 games
    25 returnes
    587 yards
    avg 23.5
    Long 41

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

There's something missing about this guy. Wasn't he on the Giants last year.
    Wonder why he can't find a place to call home ?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    His numbers are about the same as what we are doing. Not sure as a WR he could help us. McDonald wants out next year, he is 26 years old.

willie ponders numbers.
    Played 6 games
    25 returnes
    587 yards
    avg 23.5
    Long 41
    Why does McDonald want out?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Why does McDonald want out?
    I read he wants to play more, he will do what the Rams want him to do, just wants to play. The Rams are now in more three sets and not too many 4 or 5 sets.

Linehan's philosophy limits playing time for Curtis, McDonald
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/15/2006

Nothing more dramatically illustrates the difference in offensive approach between first-year Rams head coach Scott Linehan and Mike Martz, his predecessor, than the whittled-down numbers of Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald.

After five games last year, Curtis and McDonald -- the Rams' No. 3 and No. 4 wide receivers behind Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt -- had combined for 47 receptions and 547 yards. Martz favored multiple-wideout sets, and there was plenty of work for all.

After five games this year, Curtis and McDonald have mustered only 14 catches and 120 yards. Linehan, who leans far more heavily on the running game, had deployed four wide receivers only 16 times before last Sunday's game at Green Bay.

Curtis (three catches, 21 yards) and McDonald (two catches, 30 yards) were on the field together 14 times vs. the Packers, as Linehan sought to exploit Green Bay's young safeties.

Still, Curtis is on a 16-game pace for 29 receptions and 211 yards, a huge drop from his 2005 production of 60 catches and 801 yards. McDonald projects to 16 catches and 173 yards; he had 46 receptions and 523 yards in '05.

"They certainly have not done anything to not deserve a chance to play," Linehan said. "It's just that we utilize a number of personnel groups, and you can only get 11 guys out there at a time. . . . If we think (using multiple wideouts is) something that can help us going into a game, we have the luxury of the depth at receiver to be able to do that."

First, though, Linehan wants to make sure that he has plenty of protection on the field for quarterback Marc Bulger and sufficient blocking for running back Steven Jackson. He does that by using more "base" formations.

Linehan's formula is paying off for Jackson -- who is leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage (runs and receptions) and is tied with San Francisco's Frank Gore for No. 1 in rushing yards -- and for Bulger, who has been sacked 11 times, compared with 20 in the first five games last season.

Most important, the Rams are 4-1 and a half-game ahead of Seattle -- Sunday's foe at the Edward Jones Dome -- in the NFC West. A year ago, they stood 2-3.

"I definitely wouldn't mind being on the field with more chances to make plays," McDonald said. "But we're winning games, so it doesn't matter who gets what." RAMS-SEAHAWKS

Still, he acknowledged that at times, "you feel like you're out of the game because you've been on the sideline for so long. You've just got to stay focused and wait for your opportunities."

Curtis, who has been in for more snaps than McDonald because he's used in three-wideout sets, said he had "no complaints."

"Actually, I feel like I'm playing quite a bit," he added. "I might not be getting my hands on the ball as much, but I'm getting plenty of opportunities to get in there and make a difference in some way, whether it's blocking or it's running a route to open something up. . . .

"The biggest thing is, if every guy does his job, then we're going to win games. And as long as we're winning, it doesn't matter if I catch two balls or five. I really mean that."

Like Martz, Linehan calls the plays on offense. So far, he's ordered runs 43.6 percent of the time. In the 23-20 win at Green Bay, he struck a perfect balance: 30 runs and 30 passes.

Martz's run percentage in the first five games in '05 was 32.5 percent. When Martz contracted endocarditis, an infection of a heart valve, Joe Vitt took over for the last 11 games, with offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild calling plays.

The season ended with the Rams running on 37.0 percent of their snaps. And a 6-10 record.

Despite their emphasis on wins over stats, Curtis and McDonald could be headed toward a more tangible loss than mere individual numbers. Both will be unrestricted free agents after the season for the first time in their four-year careers.

Back-to-back seasons of impressive production would enhance their value in the market; conversely, a major downturn might cost them millions.

"You can't really control a lot of that, so I don't try to focus too much on it," said Curtis, 28. "Being a professional, you've got a job to do when you're out there, and my biggest focus is on that."

McDonald, 25, said: "It's just something you can't really worry about."

The Rams probably will be more interested in re-signing Curtis, who is viewed as the eventual heir apparent to Bruce, who will be 34 heading into next season. McDonald conceded that while he's benefited from his exposure to Bruce and Holt, he'd likely get more playing time elsewhere.

"I'm definitely happy to play with those guys, because you learn a lot every day just watching them," McDonald said. "But at a certain point, you want to get on the field and show what you can do. When the time comes, I'll probably look for the best opportunity."

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

I can't say I blame McDonald for wanting to play more. If I was him I would wait it out and stay put.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

especially because Bruce can be retiring soon and injuries could make him more available for additional playing time.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    especially because Bruce can be retiring soon and injuries could make him more available for additional playing time.
    i wouldn't wiat for Bruce to retire, he has looked very good so far this year,Ike's got a couple more years in him.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    i wouldn't wiat for Bruce to retire, he has looked very good so far this year,Ike's got a couple more years in him.
    yes Bruce has played well indeed. knock on wood but you could even see bruce play for one more contract the way jerry rice and tim brown did...