MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Avery, Bradford among Rams working out at UH .. (FS Houston)

Fox Sports Houston (stylized as FS Houston) is a regional sports network that covers sports in Houston, Texas
    April 21, 2011

By David Dalati

HOUSTON -- As locked-out NFL players have become nomadic in their search for work-out facilities, a group of St. Louis Rams has chosen the University of Houston as the site to stay in shape and watch film during the league's shut-down. Quarterback Sam Bradford and select receivers have been on campus this week utilizing the UH accommodations to stay prepared for the upcoming season. Former Cougar receiver Donnie Avery is among the players.

"The majority of the receivers are from Texas," said Avery. "So we felt like it was a good place."

As an additional connection, UH coach Kevin Sumlin was on the Oklahoma Sooners staff in 2007, Bradford's freshman season.

Avery played at the University of Houston from 2003-2007. He was selected by the Rams in the second round of the 2008 draft and caught 53 passes for 674 yards as a rookie. But, before his third season in the league could even begin, Avery injured the ACL in his right knee during an exhibition game. The injury wiped out his 2010 season.

"You can look at it as being bad," Avery said of the missed year. "I looked at just observing, learning more. God lets everything happen for a reason. I got a lot of stuff done off the field. I started my foundation helping inner city kids so I looked at it with that mindset."

Avery has made a donation to the UH athletic department, specifically to aid in the purchase of new exercise bicycles.

Avery said he's recovered from the knee injury from a physical standpoint but he still has a mental hurdle to overcome.

"I can't go as fast as those guys because it's still in my head," he said. "I'm trying to baby it a little bit because I'm five months out of surgery so it's still kind of in my head. Still got a long way to go."

As for Bradford, Avery said the former Sooners quarterback is displaying the leadership expected of the top pick of the 2010 draft. "He doesn't do lot of talking," Avery said. "He's very structured so whatever he says we know he means business because he rarely talks. He leads by example and we just follow.

"As a team, we know we have a lot of potential and we don't want to lose it so we try to stay positive and stay responsible. We're trying to have a discipline-type structure so we get together to run routes and watch film just like if we were at the facility."

Avery said some of his teammates who are not from Texas are trying to get adjusted to the heat during the workouts, but the Texas players remind them that Houston heat is far from its peak in April.

"They think it's hot out there," Avery said. "We really don't think it's hot because we're from here. I was like, 'Man, it's pretty cool.'

Another former UH player, Fendi Onobun, a tight end with the Rams, is also taking part in the workouts at the UH.

It would sure be a huge bonus if Fendi develops into a solid player .. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know when a so-called "project" will turn the corner .. Glad to hear these guys are working with Sam to improve ..

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Avery, Bradford among Rams working out at UH .. (FS Houston)

It's great to hear that Bradford is going to be working with Avery and Onobun regularly, as well as the other receivers that are there. If they can get some chemistry going it could have a big impact on the upcoming season. The more reps the better.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Working out is all well and fine, where soever the location , but consistancy and a devloping a winning tradition called Ramsfootball is whats desperately needed and has been lacking in St. Louis for too long now! Sam can now put his rookie troph away to concentrate on bigger and better things! Sacrafices must be made from everyone, Will Avery ever be to able to fulfill a full productive season! It would be a good idea for Steve Spagnuolo to join the guys in Houston. His tenure is now at the point where things should begin to start happening for the Rams.
    HOUSTON, THE RAMS STILL HAVE PROBLEMS!!
    Last edited by dgr828; -04-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Working out is all well and fine, where soever the location , but consistancy and a devloping a winning tradition called Ramsfootball is whats desperately needed and has been lacking in St. Louis for too long now! Sam can now put his rookie troph away to concentrate on bigger and better things! Sacrafices must be made from everyone, Will Avery ever be to able to fulfill a full productive season! It would be a good idea for Steve Spagnuolo to join the guys in Houston. His tenure is now at the point where things should begin to start happening for the Rams.
    You are like a car wreck, try as I might, I can't help but look at the carnage.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It would be a good idea for Steve Spagnuolo to join the guys in Houston.
    You're kidding right ??

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    You're kidding right ??
    You know.. I want to put him in my ignore list too but I can't help but get a good laugh at whatever posts he makes nowadays.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Anyway, good to hear Bradford is now working with his guys. Avery is gonna have to get over the thing with his knee mentally, and fast. But I know where he's coming from. I tore my ACL as a freshman in high school, and I didn't feel like it was at full strength until my senior year. Looking back though, I think a lot of it had to do with the mental aspect of coming back from such a major injury.

However, I feel this is Avery's make or break year, and he can't afford to play shy.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -04-23-2011 at 09:41 PM.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

TRANSLATION: Blah blah blah same old crap blah blah blah.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]