Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Avery and Burton Need to be on the Field

Its really that simple.

Torry Holt is still a top 10 receiver, but his strength at this point is his ability to get open running mid range (12-18 yard) patterns. Bennett? Not quite sure what he brings. McMichael? He could be an important weapon down the middle of the field.

But Avery and Burton, as we saw last night, are the players who have the ability to make opposing defenses worry about the long ball. Even if neither puts up huge numbers this year, their presence on the field is important.

Steven Jackson is the Rams No. 1 option. Heck, he may be options 1 and 2. But for him to be successful, the Rams need to keep opposing defenses honest. If he's facing 8 or 9 men in the box, he's not going to find running room.

Put a speedy young WR on the outside, and suddenly opposing defenses will have to adjust. From what I've seen, Burton really knows how to get down the field and use his body to shield single coverage from the ball. Avery is just lightning in a bottle. Cover him one on one and fail to get a good bump... he's going to get behind the defense.

Forget who has a big contract, or who might know the playbook best... the Rams need the threat of the long ball.

They need to play A&B early and often.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: Avery and Burton Need to be on the Field

I agree, we have not been able to spread the field and keep a defense honest for a couple of years. Avery and Burton are our best options for that to happen. Bennett it seems to me fits more in the role that Ricky Proehl did a few years back. A guy who can pick a 3rd down for you when you need it, not someone who is a legit #2 reciever on this team. Speed kills and we once again have plenty of it so lets use it to keep defenses honest and open some room up for Jax to do his thing. Also, T Holt has said he would like to finish his career in Carolina playing with his brother so this might be the last year we have him. A&B will need to get as much playing time in this year as they can if that is the case.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Avery and Burton don't seem like bad picks after all. I remember all the disgust with the Avery pick, but now we kind of see what kind of potential. These guys just need a year or two, then watchout!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Its really that simple.

Torry Holt is still a top 10 receiver, but his strength at this point is his ability to get open running mid range (12-18 yard) patterns. Bennett? Not quite sure what he brings. McMichael? He could be an important weapon down the middle of the field.

But Avery and Burton, as we saw last night, are the players who have the ability to make opposing defenses worry about the long ball. Even if neither puts up huge numbers this year, their presence on the field is important.

Steven Jackson is the Rams No. 1 option. Heck, he may be options 1 and 2. But for him to be successful, the Rams need to keep opposing defenses honest. If he's facing 8 or 9 men in the box, he's not going to find running room.

Put a speedy young WR on the outside, and suddenly opposing defenses will have to adjust. From what I've seen, Burton really knows how to get down the field and use his body to shield single coverage from the ball. Avery is just lightning in a bottle. Cover him one on one and fail to get a good bump... he's going to get behind the defense.

Forget who has a big contract, or who might know the playbook best... the Rams need the threat of the long ball.

They need to play A&B early and often.
    This is a great idea. Those two rookies were *HOT* last night. Any way of getting a sticky note to Saunders?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Wolf is offline Registered User

I agree with having Avery and Burton on the field. I think Dante Hall at the third receiver spot could be something a lot of teams overlook, too.

Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton are our future, though. There's no denying it.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Its funny, I was about to post something similar to this. Ill admit I wasnt the biggest fan of the Avery pick. I wanted Desean Jackson, (who is doing good in his own right in Philly) but I knew Avery could play so it didnt bother me. Burton on the other hand, I loved it. I really feel we have something special in this kid. He had a great TD reception, a real nice 40 yard diving catch, and almost came up with a remarkable one handed catch. I am very excited!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Man, even though I didn't watch the game, I saw highlights and boy was I impressed by the duo. They won't be Holt and Bruce any time soon, but they're something that will relieve some pressure off of Holt and Jackson, who are capable of making big plays. Watching those two play last night, I have a higher hope for the season.

Good post Av.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I agree with most every post here. However, though it's hard to imagine right now, there is no reason Avery and Burton could not be comparable to Bruce and Holt. As much as I loved them, the two yout's :-) have the tools necessary to be Bruce and Holt. Let's hope for durability.

As for this season, I've said it before, I don't get Bennett. He seems to be hurt again!! The order of the WRs in my opinion should be Holt, Avery, Burton, Bennet and maybe Stanley. Hall doesn't scare me as a receiver and he's too valuable as a returner. With a capable line and McMicheal, there should not be a need for the two rooks to carry the load. And SJ helps big time there too.
    Semper Fi!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'd rather have them than bennett. The more action and time to develop they have the better they will be. They are the future bennett is the garbage that needs to be taken out.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"Forget who has a big contract, or who might know the playbook best... the Rams need the threat of the long ball.

They need to play A&B early and often."

I agree play the best player get these guys on the field.
    :ramlogo:

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Channel 626 (Direct T,V) is airing the game in a few min, here on the west coast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Channel 626 (Direct T,V) is airing the game in a few min, here on the west coast.
    interesting.... apparently I don't get that channel. MASN....Mid-Atlantic Sports Network?

hmmm, is that really a west coast channel

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I'm not a guy that thinks you can't play rookies. If they know the playbook, understand the system, can run the routes correctly, and don't drop the ball- then I don't see any reason they shouldn't start. I would like to see them play almost the entire game next game against the Chiefs. It's not like they have much standing in their way- Bennett has been a disappointment and Looker is a #4 or #5. I really don't see the use in putting Hall in the slot. The dude should be kept to punt returns only- he keeps getting hurt anyway.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    interesting.... apparently I don't get that channel. MASN....Mid-Atlantic Sports Network?

hmmm, is that really a west coast channel
    It's on the list but not airing. Will be on at 9pm channel 212 NFL Channel!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    It's on the list but not airing. Will be on at 9pm channel 212 NFL Channel!

It's not on until 12:00 am EST here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast