MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Avery makes TD catch in return to action ..

BY BILL COATS
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:15 am

Although nearly a year has passed since Rams wide receiver Donnie Avery had played in a football game, he wasn't experiencing any butterflies before Saturday night's preseason contest against Tennessee.

"Naw," Avery said. "I was just ready to get out there, let the adrenaline flow and just make plays."

Gaining his first action of the preseason, Avery produced two catches for 23 yards, including a 19-yard touchdown in the Rams' 17-16 victory at the Edward Jones Dome.

"It was a long time coming," Avery said. "This time last year I was sitting on the side, hurting. I'm glad to be back."

Avery, a second-round draft pick in 2008, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee last Aug. 26 in an exhibition game at New England. It cost him the entire season.

He sat out last week's preseason opener vs. Indianapolis as he took a training-camp break to rest the knee. He returned to practice this week and said after Saturday's contest his knee "feels great."

"I'm really proud of Donnie. I'm happy for him," Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "He had a little setback in training camp, but he's back now."

A healthy Avery would provide a boost in the system that new coordinator Josh McDaniels has brought.

"Definitely with this offense," said quarterback A.J. Feeley, who tossed the TD pass to Avery. "The more weapons you can have, especially vertical threats and guys running down the field, it's always nice."

Avery's score early in the third quarter trimmed Tennessee's lead to 16-14.

"It was a hitch," Avery explained. "I saw the safety in the box, so my eyes lit up. I saw (Feeley's) eyes light up, and we connected."

A 14-yard catch by Avery was wiped out by a penalty. But, Feeley noted, Avery "definitely left his mark tonight.

"To fight back from a serious injury like that last year and in his first action here to get a touchdown and get a couple of catches ... you could tell that he was eager," Feeley added. "He wanted to prove something."

Twelve wideouts are in camp, vying for probably six spots on the regular-season roster. The competition in fierce, but Avery said he tries to keep his focus solely on what he can do.

"I just look at it like, just do my job, play my role," said Avery, who averaged 50 receptions and 631 yards in his first two NFL seasons. He had eight touchdowns.

"He looked like the same guy," Feeley said. "You wouldn't know that he came off a serious knee injury. It's a tribute to him in the offseason and what he's done, considering the lockout and rehabbing and getting himself ready. He always talked in the offseason that he was back to running the same times he was before, and it was evident tonight."

Feeley, Sam Bradford and Thaddeus Lewis combined for 239 passing yards, with 15 different players having at least one catch. Rookie Greg Salas, a fourth-round draftee, led the way among the wideouts with three catches for 25 yards.

Two of Salas' grabs came on the Rams' final drive, which ended with Josh Brown's 42-yard game-winning field goal. Salas also sat out the preseason game against Indianapolis, because of a tight hamstring.

"I'm getting more comfortable," he said. "This was a great experience for me. It felt good to finally get out here on the field."

Salas realizes that he needs to make an impression to break out of the logjam at wide receiver.

"It's tough. Everybody's good, and everybody's a good guy, too, personally," he said.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Avery makes TD catch in return to action ..

Rookie Greg Salas, a fourth-round draftee, led the way among the wideouts with three catches for 25 yards.

Salas being from Chino Ca and went to the same high school I did Chino High... I'm pulling for the kid!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

If Avery stays healthy, there is one less spot to worry about in the WR competition.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If Avery stays healthy, there is one less spot to worry about in the WR competition.
    That's a big IF....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    That's a big IF....
    So far so good.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I want the best unit we can field. Pulling for all of em!