Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    schut39 is offline Registered User

Avery Ready for Action

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Drafted with the idea that he could stretch the field with his speed, Donnie Avery’s pelvic bone injury has slowed him considerably.
    “I have probably slowed down from a 4.26 to a 4.28,” Avery said, laughing.
    Of course, Avery’s speed is no laughing matter for opponents but it remains to be seen just how that will translate to the field. For the first time since the Rams used a second-round selection on him in April’s draft, Avery will get his first live game action this weekend against Baltimore.
    After arriving at training camp a day late because he had not yet signed a contract, Avery took a hit to the pelvic bone that caused a crack.
    That injury happened on July 28, only three days into camp. Avery returned last week but after going through workouts, the Rams decided they didn’t want to push him into playing in a game right away.
    “This is going to be big for him,” coach Scott Linehan said. “He hasn’t been able to play. The other night we decided not to play him because we didn’t want him to have a setback. I’d like to see him play the most of any receiver this week.”
    Avery said he began to pick up the offense quickly during the Organized Team Activities and minicamp but was excited about what he could do during the installations of training camp.
    Alas, Avery was forced to miss those workouts because of the injury and though he stayed at practice and did his best to take the reps mentally, it wasn’t the same as playing.
    “I don’t think he could help but be a little behind missing practice but he’s got a great work ethic and he stayed in it mentally very well,” Linehan said. “He’s always one of the first guys at those meetings and the last one to leave and works on his game. That will benefit him. We have to accelerate his development here in the next couple of preseason games.”
    Avery has done his part to speed up that learning process. He says he has picked up the offense well though the Rams are taking their time moving him around.
    For now, Avery is working almost exclusively as the “X” receiver, the position manned by one Torry Holt. Eventually, the team would like him to learn the slot and have him as an option for three and four receiver sets.
    At the least, Avery feels far more comfortable now than he did when he first arrived.
    “I was like a chicken with his head cut off when I first got here,” Avery said. “Now, I can see the light. I can see what I’m doing now.”
    Avery says the pelvic bone can still get sore though he has since taken hits on it in practice and been OK. Either way, he’s not going to let anything get in the way of his preseason debut against the Ravens.
    “It feels good,” Avery said. “I am excited about going out there on Saturday and playing on it. I thought I was going to get a chance last week but they wanted to be careful with it. Now I have got more time on the practice field with it so I am cool now.”
    A HOLT OUT?: With running back Steven Jackson ending his holdout after 27 days, receiver Torry Holt took some time to reflect on his own contract situations of yesteryear.
    In 2003, Holt entered the final year of his contract hoping for a lucrative extension. He considered going the same route as Jackson but conversations with running back Marshall Faulk and other key veterans as well as then coach Mike Martz convinced him to show up to camp.
    “They gave me some advice on how to handle things,” Holt said. “We were able to get something worked out. I'm glad I was able to put my ego aside and listen to those guys.”
    Holt signed a long term contract within days of his arrival to camp. The Rams have promised Jackson a similar possibility upon his arrival.
    “Each situation is different,” Holt said. “I can't tell him what he should do or shouldn't do. All I can do is wish him well.”
    INJURY REPORT: The Rams’ walking wounded had a slightly different look Wednesday afternoon.
    Dante Hall (hip) returned to practice after missing most of the past two days. Tight end Anthony Becht is also back on the practice field after a hamstring injury kept him out for an extended period.
    Fullback Russ Weil (ankle) is also back on the practice field.
    The players on the sideline included running back Brian Leonard (shoulder), linebacker David Vobora (ankle), safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (hamstring), cornerback Fakhir Brown (shoulder), safety Jerome Carter (hamstring) and left tackle Orlando Pace (shoulder soreness).
    Linehan says the Rams aren’t too worried about Pace sitting out practice but he did declare Pace questionable for Saturday’s game against Baltimore.
    “It’s just precaution,” Linehan said. “He didn’t re-injure his shoulder or anything like that so we are being conservative with it this week. If we were playing a (regular season) game, he’d play it.”

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Avery Ready for Action

good to have the young man back,when i read about the injury i was expecting him to be out for longer than he has been!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

For those that don't read with a magnifying glass:

Avery Ready for Action
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Drafted with the idea that he could stretch the field with his speed, Donnie Avery’s pelvic bone injury has slowed him considerably.

“I have probably slowed down from a 4.26 to a 4.28,” Avery said, laughing.

Of course, Avery’s speed is no laughing matter for opponents but it remains to be seen just how that will translate to the field. For the first time since the Rams used a second-round selection on him in April’s draft, Avery will get his first live game action this weekend against Baltimore.

After arriving at training camp a day late because he had not yet signed a contract, Avery took a hit to the pelvic bone that caused a crack.

That injury happened on July 28, only three days into camp. Avery returned last week but after going through workouts, the Rams decided they didn’t want to push him into playing in a game right away.

“This is going to be big for him,” coach Scott Linehan said. “He hasn’t been able to play. The other night we decided not to play him because we didn’t want him to have a setback. I’d like to see him play the most of any receiver this week.”

Avery said he began to pick up the offense quickly during the Organized Team Activities and minicamp but was excited about what he could do during the installations of training camp.

Alas, Avery was forced to miss those workouts because of the injury and though he stayed at practice and did his best to take the reps mentally, it wasn’t the same as playing.

“I don’t think he could help but be a little behind missing practice but he’s got a great work ethic and he stayed in it mentally very well,” Linehan said. “He’s always one of the first guys at those meetings and the last one to leave and works on his game. That will benefit him. We have to accelerate his development here in the next couple of preseason games.”

Avery has done his part to speed up that learning process. He says he has picked up the offense well though the Rams are taking their time moving him around.

For now, Avery is working almost exclusively as the “X” receiver, the position manned by one Torry Holt. Eventually, the team would like him to learn the slot and have him as an option for three and four receiver sets.

At the least, Avery feels far more comfortable now than he did when he first arrived.

“I was like a chicken with his head cut off when I first got here,” Avery said. “Now, I can see the light. I can see what I’m doing now.”

Avery says the pelvic bone can still get sore though he has since taken hits on it in practice and been OK. Either way, he’s not going to let anything get in the way of his preseason debut against the Ravens.

“It feels good,” Avery said. “I am excited about going out there on Saturday and playing on it. I thought I was going to get a chance last week but they wanted to be careful with it. Now I have got more time on the practice field with it so I am cool now.”

A HOLT OUT?: With running back Steven Jackson ending his holdout after 27 days, receiver Torry Holt took some time to reflect on his own contract situations of yesteryear.

In 2003, Holt entered the final year of his contract hoping for a lucrative extension. He considered going the same route as Jackson but conversations with running back Marshall Faulk and other key veterans as well as then coach Mike Martz convinced him to show up to camp.

“They gave me some advice on how to handle things,” Holt said. “We were able to get something worked out. I'm glad I was able to put my ego aside and listen to those guys.”

Holt signed a long term contract within days of his arrival to camp. The Rams have promised Jackson a similar possibility upon his arrival.

“Each situation is different,” Holt said. “I can't tell him what he should do or shouldn't do. All I can do is wish him well.”

INJURY REPORT: The Rams’ walking wounded had a slightly different look Wednesday afternoon.

Dante Hall (hip) returned to practice after missing most of the past two days. Tight end Anthony Becht is also back on the practice field after a hamstring injury kept him out for an extended period.

Fullback Russ Weil (ankle) is also back on the practice field.

The players on the sideline included running back Brian Leonard (shoulder), linebacker David Vobora (ankle), safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (hamstring), cornerback Fakhir Brown (shoulder), safety Jerome Carter (hamstring) and left tackle Orlando Pace (shoulder soreness).

Linehan says the Rams aren’t too worried about Pace sitting out practice but he did declare Pace questionable for Saturday’s game against Baltimore.

“It’s just precaution,” Linehan said. “He didn’t re-injure his shoulder or anything like that so we are being conservative with it this week. If we were playing a (regular season) game, he’d play it.”

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm excited to see Avery play this weekend. I hope Jackson gets some time also.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Hopefully we can have the full squad available for a series vs. Chiefs then win the Gov'r Cup.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I too, can't wait to see Avery. I can't wait to see him show up all of his and the Rams' doubters for taking him first. He was our man, and it didn't matter who fell to us. I give major props to our front office for sticking to that and not falling to "peer pressure" to take someone who they didn't feel fit them as well.

Josh Guest

I just hope he doesnt re break his tail bone.. that could hurt.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you don't know the difference between a tail bone and a pelvis... well...

Never mind.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Hoss, just for your own edification, the proper name for the "tail bone" is coccyx which is actually the last 4 or 5 vertabra of the spinal cord. That's where the glut muscles attach to the skeletal structure.

The pelvis is the entire structure of bones that connects your upper body to your lower body. A part of that structure is the coccyx (tail bone). So when Nick Waggoner says Avery injured his "pelvic bone", he is slightly mistaken as the pelvis is the entire structure. It's like saying he broke his chest bone......which one?

Not that this has anything to do with the expected performance of Donnie Avery, but I am all for the education of our next generation.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramer is offline Registered User

I excited to watch Avery play. I think he is going to have a hugh season.

shower beers is offline Registered User

...I wonder what Josh wrote.

Stoked to see Avery play. Burn those Ravens geezer corners!

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Hoss, just for your own edification, the proper name for the "tail bone" is coccyx which is actually the last 4 or 5 vertabra of the spinal cord. That's where the glut muscles attach to the skeletal structure.

The pelvis is the entire structure of bones that connects your upper body to your lower body. A part of that structure is the coccyx (tail bone). So when Nick Waggoner says Avery injured his "pelvic bone", he is slightly mistaken as the pelvis is the entire structure. It's like saying he broke his chest bone......which one?

Not that this has anything to do with the expected performance of Donnie Avery, but I am all for the education of our next generation.
    Hub, you said what I was thinking, only better. Thanks for the de-tails (pun intended).

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

He needs games. Lets hope he can get some action on Saturday and shows some of his talent.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I can't wait to see him on the field at game speed and here's to hoping that he can translate that blazing speed into production. If, in fact, he can really work the slot effectively I think this will really benefit Saunder's system. I would LOVE to see the middle get opened up which will also help McMichael earn his money.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

supachump is offline Registered User

I wouldn't expect too much. I'm hopeful, but pessimistic that we'll see anything impressive for his first game at NFL speeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast