Rambos is online now Registered User

Avery under the gun as much as Long

Considering the lengthy debate regarding Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey that team insiders tell us took place before the Rams finally opted to select Long with the second overall pick in the 2008 draft, there’s no denying the heavy scrutiny Long will begin facing this weekend at the Rams’ mandatory minicamp. But team insiders believe the Rams’ second pick in the draft, WR Donnie Avery, may be facing even more scrutiny than Long after being the first receiver to come off the ’08 draft board. The selection of Avery ahead of a host of other high-profile possibilities (Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson, Limas Sweed) shocked a lot of draft experts. “But he (Avery) was definitely their top-rated guy, and apparently 8-10 teams had him in the same slot,” a team insider told PFW. “The fact the WR crop was flawed with so many character issues to begin with probably helped Avery’s cause. The Rams considered some other pass catchers, particularly Jackson, but they thought Avery offered more dimensions.” Predictably, we’re told that the Rams’ No. 3 WR job behind Torry Holt and Drew Bennett is pretty much Avery’s job to lose. “Absolutely,” the insider said. “I’m a big proponent of never reaching for need in the early rounds, and there’s a feeling they might have done that with Avery. I’m really anxious to see what he looks like in camp.”

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Avery under the gun as much as Long

I agree with what this is saying. I hope he responds well and takes the added attention in stride. I think this can be a good year for him.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Avery under the gun as much as Long

But team insiders believe the Rams’ second pick in the draft, WR Donnie Avery, may be facing even more scrutiny than Long after being the first receiver to come off the ’08 draft board.
    I can only imagine what Avery must be feeling with all the fans and "experts" creating a firestorm over his being the 33rd pick and first receiver taken. He's got to be thinking he's been blindsided by a situation he had no control over and is no doubt going to feel the pressure. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do and really looking forward to seeing him silence the doubters.