Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Avery Update

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Avery Update

Per Rotoworld:

Donnie Avery tweeted that he ran forty-yard dash times Friday of 4.25, 4.29, and 4.31 as he continues to recover from a torn right ACL.There's little doubt that Avery will be full-go for training camp, and his speed has improved since the spring. He tweeted in May that he was running 4.34s. The Rams' receiver corps has the look of a committee situation, but new OC Josh McDaniels has shown that he's not opposed to featuring a particular player. At the very least, Avery should be a situational deep threat. Jul 15, 2:13 PM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Avery Update

Glad to hear his speed is near 100%, hopefully this year is his breakout season.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The Rams could certainly use his skills in the stretching-the-field department, so I hope he's ready for a big year!

MACD is offline Registered User

Holy hackalamakala!!!! I would love to see the Mel Gray-like super speedster receiver the St. Louis Cardinals had back in the 70's. That was pure joy and excitement to watch. Really rooting for this guy to recover and exceed all expectations...that would be huge.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Donnie Avery tweeted that he ran forty-yard dash times Friday of 4.25, 4.29, and 4.31
    I'm calling BS on those times.

Having said that, I'm very excited that he's ready to go. Hopefully, the knee stays together.
    jackson3909 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm calling BS on those times.

Having said that, I'm very excited that he's ready to go. Hopefully, the knee stays together.
    Why, just out of curiosity? Because of his injury, because he's human, or because he said it.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Why, just out of curiosity? Because of his injury, because he's human, or because he said it.
    I don't doubt his sincerity nor integrity. I believe he in fact ran 40 yards and the stopwatch said 4.25 seconds. However, that would be nearly 1/10th second faster than he's been officially clocked before. I would just be greatly surprised to see him run his fastest ever 40 while finishing his rehab for knee surgery.

I don't know what he used for timing, but hand-timed runs starting on the player's movement can be off by as much as a quarter of a second. I'm betting his real time is closer to 4.4.

But hey, there's nobody out there that hopes more than me that Avery did run a 4.25.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I don't doubt his sincerity nor integrity. I believe he in fact ran 40 yards and the stopwatch said 4.25 seconds. However, that would be nearly 1/10th second faster than he's been officially clocked before. I would just be greatly surprised to see him run his fastest ever 40 while finishing his rehab for knee surgery.

I don't know what he used for timing, but hand-timed runs starting on the player's movement can be off by as much as a quarter of a second. I'm betting his real time is closer to 4.4.

But hey, there's nobody out there that hopes more than me that Avery did run a 4.25.
    Likewise - we'll see. Isn't the NFL amazing - we're actually talking about 1/10th of a second.
    Blows me away.
    I think he did lose some weight, (or redistribute it), with some diet changes - maybe that helped.
    I am rooting for him - he's gotten an undeserved bad rap on this forum, imo.
    (Plus - Murphy's going to take DeSean out of the game opening day (smiley).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

If this is absolutely true, I think it could be a huge help for our receivers and our offense as a whole. Positive rumours are better than negative ones, so we will soon see hopefully. Probably whats more important is how he adjusts to Mcdaniels offense. Brandon Lloyd had some success in his offense and is a very similar player too Avery so I see hope. The Rams seem to be in much better shape at WR and TE over last year at this stage. Very interested to hear how the rookies are performing when training camps finally open, as a lot may depend on them for our offense to make that step.

BEER is offline Registered User

Avery is a bust. Bad draft pic and we all know it. Stop pretending. He could run a 4.1 and would still get hurt, not by getting hit but by landing or falling with no control. YOu have it or you dont. I dont think he does. Him and Josh may prove me wrong, but I dont think so.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

See Donnie run.
    Run Donnie run.
    Run, run, run.

See Donnie catch.
    Catch Donnie, catch
    Catch, catch, catch.

See Donnie run and catch.
    Run and catch, Donnie.
    Run and catch. Run and catch.

See Donnie score a touchdown.
    Score a touchdown, Donnie.
    Score, score, score.

See Donnie stay healthy.
    Stay healthy, Donnie.
    Healthy, healthy, healthy.

Ain't "Look-Say" great?!
    TekeRam likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Holy hackalamakala!!!! I would love to see the Mel Gray-like super speedster receiver the St. Louis Cardinals had back in the 70's. That was pure joy and excitement to watch. Really rooting for this guy to recover and exceed all expectations...that would be huge.
    Nothing quite like embracing the Rams with reminiscence about the team in Arizona.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Once again Beer, thanks for all your optimism .....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Once again Beer, thanks for all your optimism .....
    He is one big ray of sunshine

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I know I read some article this offseason about how all of these 4.3 and 4.2 times in the 40, and really all of the times in general are inflated(should I say deflated?). Basically, the article said that there is no way that athletes built for football are running speeds that are essentially sprinters speeds.

I really have no opinion about that, as for football purposes, it's just a relative measurement. If Avery is getting to a sub-4.3, I am really excited and would be happy to see him drop a tenth of a second if it meant he bulked his legs up a bit. Hopefully he can take the Randy Moss role in our offense this year, catching some bombs and spreading out the defense from focusing on the short game.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast