RamWraith is offline Registered User

Avery's Effort Gives A Big Lift To Burton

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/16/2008

Seeing what fellow rookie wide receiver Donnie Avery did Sunday at Washington just added to Keenan Burton's eagerness to get back on the field this week.

"He's a very explosive player, and he makes us both look good when he does things like that," Burton said. "I'm definitely pulling for him, and I know he's pulling for me. I'm just excited to be out there with him."

Avery's diving catch for a 43-yard gain set up Josh Brown's field goal at the gun that lifted the Rams over the Redskins 19-17. Burton, who has missed three games after having surgery for torn knee cartilage, got plenty of work both on offense and special teams Wednesday in his first full practice since then.

"I'm definitely ready, no limitations. I'm not sore; there's no fluid on my knee," Burton reported.

Coach Jim Haslett said Burton, a fourth-round draft choice, will be on the 45-man roster Sunday, when the Rams (1-4) take on the Dallas Cowboys (4-2) at the Edward Jones Dome.

"Keenan, Donnie (Avery), Torry (Holt), Derek Stanley and Dante (Hall) will be the five receivers," Haslett said.

PITTMAN PRACTICES

Running back Antonio Pittman, who broke a bone in his lower left leg Sept. 21 at Seattle, was a surprise participant. Pittman, who was thought to be a week or two away from returning, even got some snaps during team drills.

"I think I'm ahead of schedule by a long shot," said Pittman, who had been backing up Steven Jackson before he was hurt. "It was a great test, pushing off on it and getting to do a lot more things. I expect it to be sore, but nothing that I can't handle. ... I think probably by next week I should be in the mix and ready to get back out there."

Newly acquired Kenneth Darby will be the third running back vs. the Cowboys, behind Jackson and Travis Minor. Darby, signed Tuesday off Atlanta's practice squad, also will be active on special teams. The second-year pro out of the University of Alabama said he was surprised, but pleased, that the Rams picked him up. "I'd been in Atlanta for a while," Darby said. "But I feel like it's an opportunity I can take advantage of."

ATOGWE HONORED

Until safety Oshiomogho Atogwe received the award this week, the Rams hadn't had an NFC defensive player of the week since the last game of the 2004 season, when defensive end Bryce Fisher was cited. Atogwe returned a fumble 75 yards for the Rams' only touchdown at Washington. He also forced a fumble and recorded seven tackles.

"I think it's really more a tribute to what was going on in the defense, just us making a lot of plays and everybody hustling to the ball," Atogwe said. "I take the honor for myself as well as the rest of the defense."

RAM-BLINGS

Adam Goldberg was at left tackle with the first team Wednesday. Haslett said Orlando Pace (thigh) remains questionable for Sunday. ... Quarterback Marc Bulger, who jammed his right index finger vs. the 'Skins, threw without difficulty.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Avery's Effort Gives A Big Lift To Burton

I llike the trio of Burton, Avery and Holt. B.A.H.!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

BAH to the Cowgirls' secondary is what I say. They're down two of their top three corners, and Henry was embarrassed by the Cards, and then they're down two or three safeties, I believe, with Roy "horse collar" Williams being the healthier one possibly coming back.

BAH should have a good day if we can get the ball to them.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I am ready to see all these guys on the field we maybe looking at the new era of wr's.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini Guest

I am ready to see Holt, Burton and Avery on the same field. I really hope Burton and Avery develope into our future Holt and Bruce. That would be a great gift for us!

It's going to be fun watching the three play.