Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Avery's TD dance was....

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    How did dancing in the end zone get started anyway. Was it Deon? It seems soooo out of place. I love celebrating. Spike the ball, high-five teammates, jump into the stands, do a back-flip... but dancing?

Probably by the old Houston Oilers/Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson. He had a little dance he did in which he bent his legs together after a score.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Probably by the old Houston Oilers/Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson. He had a little dance he did in which he bent his legs together after a score.
    Yeah, it wasn't Deion. Like NJ points out, I think "Whiteshoes" started it. A lot of teams/players did that stuff in the 80's too. Ellard used to do a flip (sometimes), and the Redskins did a group high 5 which I always though was cool.

I have no problem with team celebrations. I just don't like individuals shoving their teammates aside to dance.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i find it funny that we gave up 3 crucial game changing fumbles and not one thread is started about that..but Avery celebrates scoring a rare Rams touchdown and we got a 3 page and counting thread about it..

supachump is offline Registered User

People really overact about things. Give the kid a break. He is still developing his play and maturity. If he makes a habit of it, then we have something to talk about.

After a season of so many screw ups, so many fumbles and so much bad play, we have to have a thread 4 pages long about some kid getting excited about scoring a TD?

At least someone is excited and pumped about scoring. The rest of the team should be so excited. Maybe we'd be in the end zone more often!

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

We make a positive play and people still find time to criticize????

makes NO SENSE!!!!!!!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

To say that Avery is a prima donna or a team cancer would be blowing this completely out of proportion. He is an 25 year old kid who got excited. I have never seen or read anything at all that would indicate that he is anything but a hard working, team player. Which can be evidenced by the fact that this was his best game of 2009. A game where he had the added pressure of knowing he would have to shoulder the load for a banged up receiving corps against an extremely talented defense, while he himself was nursing an injury.

I think like Moose alluded to, this thread is basically showing the disparity between some of the older and younger fans on this board. I know a lot of you more old school guys really frown upon some of this new fangled football with the crazy uniforms and these cockamamie touchdown dances. Personally, I thought it was a little silly given the circumstances, but to say it bothered me at all would be a lie.

I like how anybody who dislikes his dancing is being labeled an old man. I thought it was tasteless, and I'm 30. Hardly a senior citizen.

Have some respect for your elders you young punks! Also, Get off my lawn!

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Oh my god...

The most laughable criticism I've heard all year....

Our offense stinks...
    Were 0-5...
    Were on the verge of being sold...

And it comes to this..... Raggin on Avery for dancing in the endzone after the rarest of rare sights in the NFL this year... A Rams touchdown.

Poor old Donnie, bustin some moves, so the home fans can have a laugh and enjoy the moment when the St Louis Rams actually scored a touchdown...

Dear lord, aren't there more important things to diss?
    Way to go Avery, you knock yerself out my boy....!!!

GO RAMS!!!!

(P.S. Followed this team since 83'...passionately. Does that make me old school at 37 years of age!!??)

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I like how anybody who dislikes his dancing is being labeled an old man.
    Funny you should say this. Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, with his "Funky Chicken" TD celebration, though his "old" coach Bum Philips would not like his antics, but Bum said "You keep scoring and you can dance all you want".

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    To be fair to Avery, IIRC it is either a fine or a 15 yard penalty to include your teammates in the celebration routine.
    You're right, I should have made myself more clear. I was refering to celebrating with teammates using smiles, hugs and back slaps as opposed to any organized group routine.

And I don't care what anybody says, or how they try to spin it, Avery literally pushing a congratulatory Amendola away so he could do his laughable little TD dance (which I have no problem with) was inexcusable and a completely self-serving act. It made young Donnie look like a classless idiot.

There, I feel better.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I was going to return a comment about being a "grumpy old man", but I couldn't remember what I wanted to say....

...then, I couldn't locate my readin' glasses and my Depends needed changin'.

Just not as sharp as some of you young whippersnappers I guess.....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Put me down as someone that found no problem with Avery's untimely TD dance. A Ram celebrating a touchdown play is always a good Ram, no matter the score, especially the way this year has been going.

But when I saw Avery throw a stiff arm into a congratulatory teammate in order to do his dance... well... I found that very disturbing.

Someone here said Avery finally got that monkey off his back yesterday... I agree... but only for the short time it took him to perform that immature, selfish act.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Just goes to show how desperate we Rams are to make a very R A R E score.

But I agree with R8rh8rmike's bottom line...

Hopefully Avery matures and sees this.
    Pistol said "it's no big deal -- get over it". Well then, sometimes these so called 'little things' are indicative of a need in the professionalism and maturity departments. So, yes, I hope Avery settle's down and focuses more on making plays first, then celebrating them. Especially when we're being trampled.

Prove having character, then show off your festive moods.

Most of you guys are either totally missing the point, or you are deliberately misreading many of these posts.

Most of the people that have a problem with Avery dancing wasn't so much the fact that he was celebrating. It was the fact that he PUSHED AMENDOLA ASIDE WHEN HE TRIED TO CONGRATULATE HIM.

That's what I'm pissed about. In my opinion it shows an immature, me first attitude. And I must not be the only one, since he apologized to the team today:

WR Donnie Avery said he apologized to the team for his ill-timed, fourth-quarter end-zone dance following his TD catch. The Rams were trailing by 21 points at the time. “I wasn’t real fond of it,” Spagnuolo said
    Last edited by ScottD413; -10-12-2009 at 07:36 PM.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I still say its no big deal. And he apologized. Can we forgive and forget?

And some of you crusty old farts just don't like being called old. Don't worry. I might be younger than a lot of the guys here, but you all have a lot better football knowledge than me, and a lot you have had the privilege of seeing the glory days of Rams football in the past. Aside from our GSOT days, I've spent the majority of my Ram loving career futily trying to root for the Tony Banks' of the world.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Point well taken ScottD. I did not see the game, let alone the incident you're referring to.

I hope the push off from Donny on Danny was more on the "sorry, I didn't mean it that way" side rather than a blunt "get off me -- can't you see I'm busy here!?!" attitude.

That latter would really make it bad.

PS: just noticed that Chf128 said Donnie apologized. That's different and it definitely helps.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-12-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: PS

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast