Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Avery's TD dance was....

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    As one of those who "...believe's we have other issues to worry about".

(Call me out by name. I'm a big boy and can handle myself fine thank you very much.)

This term lack of class is misused here IMO. If anything, it was a sign of immaturity that's all. Does naive immaturity constitute a lack of class?? I don't think so, depends on the 'mens rea'

Three weeks worth of utter Rams dross on the football field, including a poor performance V Washington, and here we have a young guy that got a little excited coz he found himself in the endzone......So what.

For people to chuck around the 'classless' allegation is fundamentally flawed. We know dick all about his integrity. However, to knowingly act like a clown (a la T.O.) at an in opportune moment after a score such as running to the centre of the field to dance on the home teams insignia would constitute a lack of class. Billy Jenkins mouthing off to the Tampa bench at the end of the championship game in 1999....Another legit example of a lack of class.

Getting over excited as a young man, who's had zero confidence after some bad games recently, and who's just realised that he's stood in the endzone with the ball in his hands, AND...there's not a flag in sight, so decides to do a little jig.....Well, I'll bend with him on that one.

A lack of class, this certainly is not. Not to me anyway. I'll also warrant he was told to apologise by the staff as well. As opposed to a decision he made himself. Underlining, IMO, his naivety in recognising that what he did was probably not the greatest of ideas.

Well put, I agree with most of this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If you're talking about the dance, you're absolutely right. Class had nothing to do with the dance. Looking rediculous yes, classless no. If you're talking about shoving a teammate away so you can do your rediculous dance, that is classless. Nothing anyone says is going to change that fact.
    Not really a fact though, is it? What is and isn't classless is going to vary based on who is viewing the incident. I think it was poor form to push Amendola away so he could do his dance, but I wouldn't call that classless. Classless, to me, is Albert Haynesworth stomping on Andre Gurode's face after a play is over, Sean Taylor spitting at Michael Pittman, Dennis Rodman kicking a cameraman courtside, etc.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not really a fact though, is it? What is and isn't classless is going to vary based on who is viewing the incident. I think it was poor form to push Amendola away so he could do his dance, but I wouldn't call that classless. Classless, to me, is Albert Haynesworth stomping on Andre Gurode's face after a play is over, Sean Taylor spitting at Michael Pittman, Dennis Rodman kicking a cameraman courtside, etc.
    The way he shoved Amendola aside showed a complete lack of respect, was selfish, demonstrated poor judgement, and absolutely qualified as classless behavior IMO.

Regardless of how anyone wants to define Avery's actions, I'm sure we all agree that what he did to Amendola was inexcusable.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I think we're getting into semantics now... While pushing aside a teammate so that he could perform his version of some choreograph seizure can't be compared to Haynesworth's act, both are pretty classless. It's a team game, and to perform some solo T.O. circus act while your team is being trounced is a pretty good definition of classless. IMHO.

I think a lot of people are looking at this all wrong and reading more into it than what I intended when I posted it. Look, I'm all for spontanious acts of celebration when your team does something good. Spike the ball down, high five, hell, do a leap into the stands for all I care. At least then you're sharing in the celebration with teammates and fans. I had less problem with the "bob-n-weave", than I do with this choreograpghed spastic stuff.

But this team is hopefully going in a new direction and Spags and staff have strongly emphasized a "53 playing as one" mentallity. When I saw what we all saw last Sunday with Donnie, it told me he wasn't getting it. Spags message hadn't clicked with him, and that pissed me off. He definitely gave the impression that after crossing the endzone, he was celebrating the fact that he scored, not that the RAMS have scored. The fact that they were still down 21 points late in the game and he just scored a meaningless TD against their backups just made him look stupid.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

The way he shoved Amendola aside showed a complete lack of respect, was selfish, demonstrated poor judgement, and absolutely qualified as classless behavior IMO.
    Exactly, in your opinion. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I think we're getting into semantics now...
    Maybe, but I think it's important to note that we're dealing with opinions (perhaps strong ones) rather than facts when we judge something like this. If I had said it was a poor choice but the fact is it wasn't classless at all, I'm sure people who disagreed would dispute that being a fact as well.

Exactly, in your opinion. That's the only point I was trying to make.
    I guess it boils down to whether or not one accepts the definition of "classy" (having or reflecting high standards of personal behavior) in looking at Avery's actions.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-14-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He apologized. That's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    He apologized. That's good enough for me.
    Me too tx, but we can still have a discussion on the interpretation of what constitutes "classless" can't we??

hoosierdaddy Guest

At least he didn't pull a dre bly...celebrating before the touchdown and then getting tackled and fumbling the ball.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

For the record, that was the stankey leg.

It was also retarded, but it was the stankey leg...I have confirmed this

I guess it boils down to whether or not one accepts the definition of "classy" (having or reflecting high standards of personal behavior) in looking at Avery's actions.
    No one argued it was classy, but rather argued that it wasn't classless. And yes, there are different perspectives regarding what constitutes a classless action. I pointed out mine, and I don't think Avery's was anywhere near comparable.

No one argued it was classy, but rather argued that it wasn't classless. And yes, there are different perspectives regarding what constitutes a classless action. I pointed out mine, and I don't think Avery's was anywhere near comparable.
    Oh I don't think so either, but classless in not having a high standard of personal behavior none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    At least he didn't pull a dre bly...celebrating before the touchdown and then getting tackled and fumbling the ball.
    Yep, that was just plain STUPID.

MB10HOF is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    He has done a dance after every TD he as scored

And to be honest, the very fact we get to see a TD celebration dance is enough for me, better than being held scoreless
    This. I personally think D-Ave was puttin on a little show for the exposure. Showing the media that if st. louis is so bad, how come they have high-caliber players like ME on it? Rip Dave all you want but the message is clear here. D Dubs!!!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    For the record, that was the stankey leg.

It was also retarded, but it was the stankey leg...I have confirmed this
    Definition from Online Slang dictionary....

stanky

• Really bad or horribly smelling

How fitting.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Definition from Online Slang dictionary....

stanky

• Really bad or horribly smelling
    How fitting.

tu chez. I never said it was a good version...but tu chez

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast