• 1 Post By DE_Ramfan
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 3 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By shower beers

Thread: Av's 10 Random Post-Draft Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 10 Random Post-Draft Thoughts

1. You can't always get what you want. I really wanted Justin Blackmon.

2. But if you try some times...I love the proactive approach to the draft.

3. You might find, you get what you need. The acquisition of multiple players and future first round picks is going to bring this team back.

4. Michael Brockers will, at a minimum, provide an anchor to the defense who will free up our playmakers.

5. If Brockers can develop his pass rush skills, he could be an elite player at his position.

6. Chuck Cecil and Cortland Finnegan are the right people to mentor Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson. Neither one of them is a choir boy, but they know where the line is.

7. Its been a long time since we've had the real threat of speed on the offense. Quick, Givens and Pead will make defense pay for small mistakes.

8. The Rams are putting a lot of faith in Saffold and Smith. Let's hope its well placed.

9. There are still some good LBs out there. Rocky McIntosh, Ernie Sims and Omar Gaither could be worth a look.

10. The Rams are better than they were at the end of last season. I've said that before. Heck, I probably say it every year. Hopefully, this year, I'll be right.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 10 Random Post-Draft Thoughts

9. I would not mind Rocky Macintosh or Ernie Sims to come and play weakside LB.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

I agree with every statement and 8 is bar far my biggest worry position-wise for this season.

The positive way to look at it is rhat the two were quality tackles in the west coast offense

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I'm so excited to see some speed on this team! I cannot wait for the season to start.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Very cool intro AV to your post.

Number 8 is a real concern... Safford I'm not worried about...Smith yes I am.

We where better the day after we hired Fisher, we where better the first week of free agency and we are better after the draft... IMO
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I really love the addition and added element of speed that we have now. Teams like you said, will pay for little mistakes. We finally have guys that can take it to the house for an 70 yard TD.

THE DREAM TEAM

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, Cortland recalls seeing that line a few miles back...

In general, I agree on Brockers, but it might take some time for him to get there even on run defense. I only know of a handful of DTs in recent memory who have had a big impact in year one.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Yeah, Cortland recalls seeing that line a few miles back...
    Does he? Could you tell me what off the field issues he has had?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Does he? Could you tell me what off the field issues he has had?
    Not off the field, but getting tossed from a game and picking up a national reputation for being dirty might be a bit over the line. In a league that's trying to crack down on bad behavior on the field, drawing that kind of attention is the way to land more penalties, fines, and potentially suspension. You generally don't want to be perceived as the worst offender because you're almost guaranteed to have more calls against you.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Not off the field, but getting tossed from a game and picking up a national reputation for being dirty might be a bit over the line. In a league that's trying to crack down on bad behavior on the field, drawing that kind of attention is the way to land more penalties, fines, and potentially suspension. You generally don't want to be perceived as the worst offender because you're almost guaranteed to have more calls against you.
    If Finnegan has no off field issues, then why is he not the person you want mentoring Jenkins?

This article is by ProFootballTalk and from June 2011:
    Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan has developed a reputation for playing at, and beyond, the limits of the rules. He has been called many things, few of which would constitute flattery. A much-publicized fight with Texans receiver Andre Johnson only enhanced Finnegan’s not-so-fine reputation.

So it’s refreshing to see the other side of the player. Thanks to the folks at NewsChannel5.com, we now can.

Finnegan developed in 2010 a relationship with Kelsey Towns, a Father Ryan High School student and volleyball player who was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer after finding a lump on her leg. Finnegan and teammate Ryan Mouton visited her during the recovery process.

“I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world — besides my wife,” Finnegan said. “She lit my day up with her smile. And the rest is history.”

History includes Finnegan giving Kelsey an autographed jersey and tickets to every 2010 home game. “I got out of chemo on Friday morning, and I knew I had until Sunday morning to get better,” Kelsey said. Finnegan and his wife also named a newborn daughter after Kelsey.

The best news is that Kelsey has been in remission for six months, and she’ll start college in the fall. The fact that Finnegan helped her through the process, and that he didn’t take steps to make the media aware of his efforts when he was being harshly criticized for his fight with Andre Johnson (one G.M. privately said Finnegan is an “absolute scumbag“), easily overcomes (as far as we’re concerned) anything he’s done between the lines that someone may describe as dirty, despite the fact that he has said he wants to be known as the dirtiest player in the league.
    How can you not want this guy mentoring Jenkins? His on field incidents have come from playing hard. And take a look at that Andre Johnson fight. Who ripped who's helmet off first? Who threw the first punches?

In fact if you look at it, the play before Johnson "blocked" Finnegan by repeatedly hitting him in the helmet, to the point where Johnson had spun his helmet around. Finnegan had to take it off to readjust it.
    The next play Finnegan comes out and does a similar thing to Johnson. Just a blocking type hit with the hands on the facecage. Then Johnson rips off Finnegan's helmet. So Finnegan does the same back to Johnson. Then Johnson starts throwing punches at Finnegan. Finnegan didn't punch him once. So after not even throwing a punch, Finnegan is the one that comes out with the dirty reputation, and not Johnson?

Seriously, just watch the fight again. I see a player who doesn't take any crap from the opposition, but I don't see a guy starting a fight.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I love number 7 the most. Got a shifty quick third down back to help Steven Jackson and Bradford got two weapons that can stretch the field. If you look at our defensive line, it could be scary, no RB should be getting 10 yard runs on us. O-lines will have to deal with 300+ pound Brockers in the middle along with stopping Long and Quinn from both sides.

Everything right now is looking real good.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    The point about Finnegan and Cecil is that they are far from choir boys, but they have had success. I think they are the right guys to teach our new DBs how to be Pros.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Finnegan does it on purpose to mentally take a player out of the game. It all stays on the field. Not worried about him becoming a target for penalties.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.