throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Av's 20 End of the Lockout Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 20 End of the Lockout Random Thoughts

1. Thank God its finally over!!!
    2. While I have not studied the details, the most promising new rule coming out of this is the implementation of a salary floor, requiring teams to spend the bulk of their cap money.
    3. The second best new rule is the rookie scale.
    4. Speaking of the rookie scale, how happy is Sam Bradford that he came out when he did?
    5. Why did it take so long? Well, from my experience negotiating many "11th hour" deals as a lawyer, I can tell you this: until the pressure is really on, the ego often trumps logic.
    6. Everyone should send Kevin Demoff a Starbucks card. He's in for a loooong week.
    7. I think the Rams are in a good position to attract players in this "lightning round" FA period. Unlike recent years, we now have solid ownership, a unified front office, a promising young core, and a team on the upswing.
    8. My number 1 target: Barry Cofield. He would be the perfect fit.
    9. If Cofield goes elsewhere, the idea of snatching Brandon Mebane from the Seahawks is also appealing.
    10. Rounding out the field, I really like the prospect of James Anderson playing next to James Laurinaitis.
    11. Honorable mention: Davin Joseph, Darren Sproles, Quintin Mickell, Eric Weddle, Justin Blalock, Reggie Bush and Tim Hightower.
    12. No WRs on my list? That's right. Seems to me, after Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson, the rest of the crop out there is either (a) too baggage-riddled, or (b) no better than what the Rams already have.
    13. How great is it that we can finally start getting pumped about the Bash?
    14. A somewhat obscure name to watch in the undrafted FA market: Martin Parker.
    15. Glad its a 10 year deal. I don't want to go through this again any time soon.
    16. Who will be the other NFC West QBs this time next week? Kevin Kolb (Arizona)? Tarvaris Jackson (Seattle)? Alex Smith (San Fran)?
    17. Sure hope there are no glitches in signing the rookies.
    18. I would have liked to watch the Rams in the HOF game, but I'm not all that bummed that there will only be 4 preseason games for the Rams.
    19. Wake up, Clan... the nightmare is over!
    20. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!?!?!!?!?!??!!!

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 20 End of the Lockout Random Thoughts

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I agree that Cofield should be our first move. I want to see that line shored up. Man, it feels good to have football back. I'm more excited for training camp than ever before!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Number 7 jumps out at me. This in my opinion is the key to continued success for our RAMS!!!

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Flippin' Ram likes this.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=AvengerRam;387814]..........
    12. No WRs on my list? That's right. Seems to me, after Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson, the rest of the crop out there is either (a) too baggage-riddled, or (b) no better than what the Rams already have.
    ...........QUOTE]

I would call those two positive drug tests too much baggage in regards to VJ.
    Semper Fi!

My understanding was that VJ's issues were DUIs, rather than failed drug tests, but your point is otherwise valid.

Truth is, some would also consider Rice tainted due to his hip injury.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Good list, Av. I am interested, however, about your thinking behind why you say a salary floor is promising. You may be the first person I've read to look at it from that perspective....

WHAT SAY YE?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I like the idea of a salary floor.

For one thing, it's going to be hilarious watching the Bucs overpay people just to get anywhere near that floor!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    For one thing, it's going to be hilarious watching the Bucs overpay people just to get anywhere near that floor!
    Or they'll just sign Asomugha to replace Aqib Talib.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Good list, Av. I am interested, however, about your thinking behind why you say a salary floor is promising. You may be the first person I've read to look at it from that perspective....
    I don't think it does the league any good to have teams who skimp on salaries. Hurts the overall balance of competition. With a floor, teams will be rewarded for spending wisely, rather than simply spending more.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    1. Thank God its finally over!!!
    2. While I have not studied the details, the most promising new rule coming out of this is the implementation of a salary floor, requiring teams to spend the bulk of their cap money.
    3. The second best new rule is the rookie scale.
    4. Speaking of the rookie scale, how happy is Sam Bradford that he came out when he did?
    5. Why did it take so long? Well, from my experience negotiating many "11th hour" deals as a lawyer, I can tell you this: until the pressure is really on, the ego often trumps logic.
    6. Everyone should send Kevin Demoff a Starbucks card. He's in for a loooong week.
    7. I think the Rams are in a good position to attract players in this "lightning round" FA period. Unlike recent years, we now have solid ownership, a unified front office, a promising young core, and a team on the upswing.
    8. My number 1 target: Barry Cofield. He would be the perfect fit.
    9. If Cofield goes elsewhere, the idea of snatching Brandon Mebane from the Seahawks is also appealing.
    10. Rounding out the field, I really like the prospect of James Anderson playing next to James Laurinaitis.
    11. Honorable mention: Davin Joseph, Darren Sproles, Quintin Mickell, Eric Weddle, Justin Blalock, Reggie Bush and Tim Hightower.
    13. How great is it that we can finally start getting pumped about the Bash?
    14. A somewhat obscure name to watch in the undrafted FA market: Martin Parker.
    15. Glad its a 10 year deal. I don't want to go through this again any time soon.
    16. Who will be the other NFC West QBs this time next week? Kevin Kolb (Arizona)? Tarvaris Jackson (Seattle)? Alex Smith (San Fran)?
    17. Sure hope there are no glitches in signing the rookies.
    18. I would have liked to watch the Rams in the HOF game, but I'm not all that bummed that there will only be 4 preseason games for the Rams.
    19. Wake up, Clan... the nightmare is over!
    20. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!?!?!!?!?!??!!!
    Thankyou for those 20, they just shifted me from 2nd to 4th gear in my excitement!!! Very valid points...
    Point #17- I pray we sign all our rookies fast like! Especially our WR's, TE and DE

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Man, for the price those guys are gonna want, they're ALL tainted. I'd say no to all ... bet Devaney does too.

I agree, Cofield first.

Steve Slaton wouldn't be on that list?
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I don't Steve Slaton is in the same area as Bush or Sproles

RAMpage28 Guest

I would rather have Slaton then bush or sproles. Or just get locke.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Not to burst your second bubble Av, but there WAS a floor in the last deal. It was just at 87%, not 95% like I believe that it is this year(NFL wide has to be 99%), and then down to 89% in future years (NFL wide 95%).
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast