Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Av's 20 Post-Draft Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's 20 Post-Draft Random Thoughts

1. If Paul Boudreaux can make a guy like Joe Barksdale into a viable starter, what can he do with Greg Robinson? Can't wait to find out.

2. If the Rams can register more sack than any team in the NFL over a two-year span, what will they do with the addition of the best pass rushing DT in the draft? Can't wait to find out.

3. Every time I saw FSU play, Lamarcus Joyner stood out. Small size, large stature.

4. The draft always humbles those who make predictions. I, for one, was shocked that Craig Loston and Christian Jones were not selected.

5. Every year, though, I have a moment or two of real insight. In February, I posted a thread about how the Rams needed to add a strong complimentary RB, rather than relying on Zac Stacy to carry the whole load. Clearly, the Rams agreed.

6. I am SOOOOOOO glad that the Rams did not draft Johnny Manziel. Not only do I think he will likely be a bust, I just don't like the guy. Call me old school, but a guy who walks to the podium flashing the "money" sign is not a guy I want as the face of my franchise.

7. Here's all I'll say about Michael Sam. Yes, he'll get a lot of coverage. Yes, many will use his situation to spin an agenda. No, I don't think it will be a significant distraction.

8. Okay, I'll add this... if Sam sacks Manziel in the Rams/Browns preseason game, Twitter will explode.

9. I think the Niners had a very good draft and the Cardinals and Seahawks made some good picks. That said, I don't see any real "impact" players in their drafts. Rather, I think they effectively replaced some parts, and obtained strong depth.

10. The possible exception is Carlos Hyde. He could be an impact guy. Of course, if he is, he'd merely be replacing another impact guy (Frank Gore).

11. The Rams took a lot of DBs in the draft (not to mention Greg Reid). Hopefully, there's a diamond in the rough in the bunch.

12. Didn't like the extra two weeks before the draft, but at least we're closer to training camp.

13. Speaking of camp, there's a decent chance I might be able to make it to a practice this year. Would love to see the young crop competing for jobs.

14. Not sure if the Rams will be a buyer in the post-draft FA market, but one guy who might be worth a look is LB Pat Angerer.

15. The Rams need to develop a play in which Tavon Austin runs behind Greg Robinson. I'd call it "the total eclipse."

16. It would be rude for the Rams to fail to send the Redskins a thank you note.

17. Will the first QB that the Rams face in the regular season in 2014 be Teddy Bridgewater?

18. Call it the post-draft euphoria if you'd like, but I really believe that the Rams can compete for the NFC West title THIS YEAR.

19. Draft day perfection for me. The Rams made their first selection during half-time of the Heat-Nets game, and then made their second selection about 2 minutes after the game ended.

20. So, who should the Rams target in the first round in 2015?
    gap likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Av's 20 Post-Draft Random Thoughts

4. The draft always humbles those who make predictions. I, for one, was shocked that Craig Loston and Christian Jones were not selected.
    Should......SHOULD humble. I bet we can think of a name or two that trumpeted a prospect (or more) that went by the wayside; and conveniently those trumpets will be buried somewhere.
    FestusRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    17. Will the first QB that the Rams face in the regular season in 2014 be Teddy Bridgewater?
    I was thinking about this as my fiancee is a Vikings fan so I follow them a little

It would be brutal of the Vikes coaching staff to have Bridgewater face this St Louis defense on the opening day. The guy needs to pack on the pounds as he is small at the moment. He will be hounded all day by the front 7 (and blitzing DBs). It's not a great combination to have a smally built QB face a fierce pass rush on day 1.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Imagine the EJD when/if Michael Sam get's a sack?

I'm salivating at the thought of Coach Bou sitting next to Greg Robinson. That dude's going to EAT people!

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Imagine the EJD when/if Michael Sam get's a sack?

I'm salivating at the thought of Coach Bou sitting next to Greg Robinson. That dude's going to EAT people!
    Lots of Mizzou fans in St. Louis. They've waited forever for a Mizzou guy to explode with the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

How about Sam hits the QB, forces an errant throw, which is intercepted by E.J. Gaines?

How about Sam hits the QB, forces an errant throw, which is intercepted by E.J. Gaines?
    Columbia, MO would spontaneously combust.
    Lots of Mizzou fans in St. Louis. They've waited forever for a Mizzou guy to explode with the Rams
    ....except for Mike "the Tackle" Jones, of course.
    gap and citr92 like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

15. The Rams need to develop a play in which Tavon Austin runs behind Greg Robinson. I'd call it "the total eclipse."
    TA, ball carrier, can even ride on GB's back to the end zone. But then, who would the TD stat go to?

general counsel is offline Registered User

In response to question 20 AV, there are always quality players available at #32.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Mikey likes this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    TA, ball carrier, can even ride on GB's back to the end zone. But then, who would the TD stat go to?
    Maybe it will be like a hockey goal. Tavon gets the TD, with an assist by Robinson.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Columbia, MO would spontaneously combust.
    ....except for Mike "the Tackle" Jones, of course.
    Jones went to college in South Carolina ... the other Columbia.

I went to law school for a year at Mizzou. The Tigers stunk that year, but I didn't really see the University as a whole get behind them. Their star, RB Delpino did make the Rams, but I thought he was underused.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Good list AV. I would make one point about the the Niner's draft of impact players. Their trade for Stevie Johnson was perhaps the most effective move they made. He's an instant downfield threat and with the other WR's/TE's there, that causes headaches. Our pass rush in those 2 games will be critical to winning, as it usually is when playing good teams.

To add to your point about Aaron Donald, his disruptive nature will be great to see when we have to face Seattle and Marshawn Lynch.

Go Rams!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Christian Jones ran a 4.74.
    Antonio Richardson going undrafted was the shocker for me.
    Seantrel Henderson gets drafted after quitting during his pro-day? How?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    Jones went to college in South Carolina ... the other Columbia.

I went to law school for a year at Mizzou. The Tigers stunk that year, but I didn't really see the University as a whole get behind them. Their star, RB Delpino did make the Rams, but I thought he was underused.
    Um, Mike Jones went to Mizzou. This is sad.

citr92 is offline Registered User

8. Okay, I'll add this... if Sam sacks Manziel in the Rams/Browns preseason game, Twitter will explode.
    now i want this to happen lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast