Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Av's 20 Post-Hiatus Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 20 Post-Hiatus Random Thoughts

Here are some things that have been bouncing around in my mind as I took some needed R&R...

1. Man, I want Sammy Watkins. I find myself thinking that more and more. But there's a nagging stat that counters this thought... Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Brandon Marshall and DeSean Jackson are a combined 0-1 in Super Bowls.

2. I think I might roll the dice and take Greg Robinson over Jake Matthews at this point, but its as close as close gets.

3. The Rams' approach to free agency may be a bit boring, but it makes sense.

4. Alex Carrington strikes me as a William Hayes type of move. You have to like the current six (seven if you count Eugene Sims) man rotation on the DL.

5. A healthy Kenny Britt on a reasonable short-term "prove it" contract would be a good acquisition (note the numerous qualifiers in that sentence).

6. When NFL commentators state that the Rams are open to dealing the No. 2 pick, do you find it as difficult as I do not to exclaim "duh!"

7. Here's a tough one... would you prefer a first round combination of Matthews/Robinson and Evans, or Watkins and Lewan/Martin?

8. Though many have expressed an opinion, I've yet to read or hear a compelling argument to separate Hasean Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor as prospects.

9. Its funny how quiet the Clowney debate has become, not just here, but throughout the media. Seems as though everyone has had their say and have agreed to disagree as to which will win out: his off-the-chart physical tools or his perceived work ethic issues.

10. If the Rams acquire a second Round 2 pick via a trade, I think I'd like them to use it to draft Jimmy Garoppolo.

11. The signing of Sean Hill does not alter the prior statement.

12. I understand why Marc Sanchez was worthy of consideration, but I'm glad the Rams did not sign him.

13. I think I would be disappointed if the Rams don't use 2 of their first five picks on offensive linemen.

14. Don't underestimate the value of having 2 picks in the sixth round and 4 in the seventh. That's six chances to find a bargain-priced diamond-in-the-rough.

15. I work with two FSU fans who tell me that Greg Reid could be a worthwhile pickup. I'm sure he'll be a guy who is watched carefully in training camp.

16. Speaking of training camp... my travels may permit me to attend this year.

17. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Alabama OT Cyrus Kouanjio's knee is "not an issue." That clinches it. He's off my draft board.

18. I have to admit... I'm glad the Seahawks did not land Jared Allen.

19. The NFL seems to be moving toward expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams. I definitely favor this, as long as it stops there. 16 teams would be too many.

20. I'm not loving this whole draft pushed back to May thing.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 20 Post-Hiatus Random Thoughts

7. Here's a tough one... would you prefer a first round combination of Matthews/Robinson and Evans, or Watkins and Lewan/Martin?

I'm more sold on Evans as a prospect than Lewan/Martin. I also think that the difference between the two groups of OTs and the two WRs is that the gap between the OTs is wider.

In addition to the above statements, I think that Evans could be a better fit in the long run for the Rams than Watkins. I think Watkins is the superior talent, but I think Evans fits what we're missing and what we need for this offense (A big outlet that is as much a threat in the redzone as he is on a 40-yard fade).

With that said, I think you can guess my choice, and it's not as hard as I think it may be for most.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I agree on nearly everything said in the Post Hiatus random thoughts save for one: I do not at all favor expanded playoffs. Just another money grab that cheapens what it truly means to make the post season. It's unnecessary, but will ultimately happen because decisions are made on the basis of making more and more money- NOT on what is actually good for the game.
    mde8352gorams and Rammed like this.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are some things that have been bouncing around in my mind as I took some needed R&R...

1. Man, I want Sammy Watkins. I find myself thinking that more and more. But there's a nagging stat that counters this thought... Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Brandon Marshall and DeSean Jackson are a combined 0-1 in Super Bowls.
    Do you think there is a curse against top-tier receivers? You shouldn't worry too much about Watkins then because I don't feel that he is the best receiver in the draft. :-)

2. I think I might roll the dice and take Greg Robinson over Jake Matthews at this point, but its as close as close gets.
    Didn't we learn to take the solid offensive tackle over the one with a higher upside? Eugene Monroe is the left tackle for the Baltimore Ravens and Jason Smith is out of the league. Watch some of Robinson's game films. He is fantastic in the run game but pass rushers are able to make him look bad at times. He might be able to get instruction and clean it up but I think Matthews is talented enough to not gamble on another project.

4. Alex Carrington strikes me as a William Hayes type of move. You have to like the current six (seven if you count Eugene Sims) man rotation on the DL.
    I agree but this made me think about the draft. The current rotation is very solid but I heard that the Rams might be looking at Aaron Donald. Drafting him would take it to the next level. I don't think the Rams wouldn't need an explosive offense with him added to the d-line.

I would opt for Matthews and Evans between those two options. I would like to see the Rams get Matthews and Donald to solidify both lines. It would be nice to protect against any issue that Long might have in his recovery and add even more pressure to the D line. It probably isn't possible but one can always dream. :-)

I agree with all of your other random thoughts, especially regarding the draft. The addition of two weeks to the wait is downright ridiculous. :-)

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Not even a bit tough for me - Matthews/Roninson and Evans all the way.

Is there anyone of us happy about the draft being moved back? I doubt it. Welcome back!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I agree on nearly everything said in the Post Hiatus random thoughts save for one: I do not at all favor expanded playoffs. Just another money grab that cheapens what it truly means to make the post season. It's unnecessary, but will ultimately happen because decisions are made on the basis of making more and more money- NOT on what is actually good for the game.
    Of course money is the prime motivator in the possibility of expansion. NFL teams aren't any different than any other business looking to maximize profits.

With that said, I personally love the idea of expanding to 14 teams for a few reasons.

1. Teams in tough divisions(2013 Cardinals who went 10-6) are deserving of a playoff berth. They had more wins than the Packers, who won their division and went on to the playoffs. This happens quite often in the NFL. Divisions should always be a part of the NFL, and the winner of each division should always make the playoffs, no matter what their record is. With that said, I don't mind adding two more wild cards who are deserving of the playoffs.

2. More NFL playoff games to watch.

3. Better chance of the Rams getting in.

I personally don't think its bad for the game, but I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't want to see anymore than 14 make the playoffs, unless the league expanded.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Folks are really sleeping on Marquis Lee.
    KoaKoi and bradwill like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

regarding fitzgerald...he and kurt put the cardinals up

the D...failed....

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    definitely

Randart is offline Registered User

I still want Lewan & Evans as my ultimate 1st round duo... But Watkins/Lewan works well too! I feel Lewan has the upside and is already to drop in and can do both run as well as pass block from many positions on the line. And would be excellent as a near identical replacement for big Jake when he retires. All beauty in the eyes of this beholder. Also AvR welcome back hope you had a great time off missed you around here matey!

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Of course money is the prime motivator in the possibility of expansion. NFL teams aren't any different than any other business looking to maximize profits.

With that said, I personally love the idea of expanding to 14 teams for a few reasons.

1. Teams in tough divisions(2013 Cardinals who went 10-6) are deserving of a playoff berth. They had more wins than the Packers, who won their division and went on to the playoffs. This happens quite often in the NFL. Divisions should always be a part of the NFL, and the winner of each division should always make the playoffs, no matter what their record is. With that said, I don't mind adding two more wild cards who are deserving of the playoffs.

2. More NFL playoff games to watch.

3. Better chance of the Rams getting in.

I personally don't think its bad for the game, but I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't want to see anymore than 14 make the playoffs, unless the league expanded.

The Cardinals situation was atypical. Rarely do you get a 10-6 team fail to get in. And the divisional system is flawed. I don't feel under .500 teams should get into the playoffs in any sport. I can't offer an immediate solution for a sport like basketball, where that's always a real possibility, but in football two 16 team leagues would be a logical alternative. But of course anything that makes some sense won't happen. Different argument for a different day.

Sometimes money should take a back seat to what is right for the game/business/people/ players/ etc. The NFL is a billion dollar industry. An extra playoff round is pocket money compared to their net worth and in my opinion wouldn't enhance the product. The old Charlie Sheen line spoken to Gordon Gekko in Wall Street comes to mind: "How many yachts can you ski behind? When is enough enough?"

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

2 things...

1. I want Watkins, period.

2. I like the potential for an expanded playoff format.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not in favour of the expanded playoff idea. The NFL doesn't seem to care much about its sport like others do. They simply change rules year in and year out for the benefit of themselves ($$$$$). Why make the playoffs even larger? Only the top 12 teams should get in.. I know it's not necessarily the case right know, but then you should win your division, or a few extra games. That's what makes it exciting! To be the best you have to beat the best.

The last thing I'd ever want is for the playoff format to change and that being the only reason the Rams can squeek back into the playoffs...

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa
    The NFL doesn't seem to care much about its sport like others do. They simply change rules year in and year out for the benefit of themselves ($$$$$).
    And the whole congregation says............duh. Sosa, brother, it's a business. It will always be a business. As fans, we don't get that because the business side of this has absolutely no benefits to us. But to them, it's everything. Everything! They will always do what it's in the best interest of the sport, as long as you see the sport as their business.
    The last thing I'd ever want is for the playoff format to change and that being the only reason the Rams can squeek back into the playoffs...
    The first playoff was simply a game between the winners of the 2 divisions. It stayed that way until 1967 when the league "watered down" their playoffs by splitting into 2 additional divisions. Eventually there came 2 conferences with 3, then 4 divisions. Along the way there came wild cards. And at each turn, the league kept right on going.

If they expand the playoffs by another team, it won't be any different this time. Or the next time for that matter. Trust me, son, if the league makes this change, and the Rams get into the playoffs at the #7 spot, it won't be the "last thing" you'd ever want.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    What does that have to do with this thread?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast