Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 5 Keys To Victory: Week 1 (@ Eagles)

This is a game that the Rams are not expected to win - on the road against a playoff contender. A win, though, could pay dividends down the road if the Rams are fighting for a Wild Card spot. From that standpoint, the optimist might argue that this is a game with a lot of opportunity, not a lot of expectations, and relatively low pressure.

Here are my five keys to victory:

1. Control Brian Westbrook
    He'll get his yards, and that's okay. What the Rams need to do, though, is stop him from breaking any huge runs. They also need to keep an eye on him on third down, as he is a great chain-move in the passing game.

2. Avoid "blitz downs"
    The Eagles are creative and effective with their blitz packages. The Rams are vulnerable to that strength. Rather than stopping the blitz, the Rams need to avoid it by staying out of third and long.

3. Get Steven Jackson Going
    Will Jackson, who didn't play a down in preseason, be ready to make an impact? We'd better hope so. If he can get going, he's the best weapon the Rams have.

4. Win the special teams battle
    The Rams return and coverage units were not impressive in preseason. This needs to turn around quickly. I do, however, think that the Rams have the superior K/P combination.

5. Pressure Donovan McNabb
    McNabb is not as mobile as he used to be, and he will make mistakes if pressured. Leonard Little looked great in preseason. Hopefully, he'll get help from Long, Witherspoon, Hall Adeyanju and others.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 5 Keys To Victory: Week 1 (@ Eagles)

Being as optimistic as possible here's how I see things playing out according to the Av's list.

1 Westbrook will get his yard, I say 115 on the ground and 60 through the air. If it plays out this way I would call it a success.
    2. Every team gets in a 3rd and long, the Rams cam minimize this by limiting penalities,(Baron) your correct the rams are vulnerable to the blitz, I see Marc getting sacked 3 times. Again I would say that's a positive.
    3. Jax should have something to prove or I should say he better have something to prove, but since he may be rusty I'm only going to give him 105 on the ground and 25 through the air.
    4. Special teams, forget it, I try to see the glass as half-full but lets face it we suck.
    5. I think we can only get moderate pressure on McNabb unless we blitz like crazy. Little did have a great pre-season but he is only 1 man and I don't see a ton of pressure coming from up the middle unless we blitz in which case Westbrook could have a bigger day than what I expect.

I don't see this as a blow-out, maybe 24-17 Philly with the difference being a TD off a punt or kick return.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I expect to see Westbrook and his paper mech`e knees limited to a rough day at the office. Allowing the Rams to focus on McNabb's paper meche`e knee and weak receiving corps.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

One thing we have better than they do is a receiving corps. If we limit Westbrook, McNabb will have to throw to...who? However, if their weak receivers are against our weak secondary backups, then we will definately have problems. Assuming Brown and Atogwe come back, it should be a bit better for us.

If we lose this game, it won't be by much.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Our special teams coverage units have to play much better than what they've shown in the preseason. If they do we have a legitimate shot at winning this game.

I think we match-up very evenly with the Eagles in all the other aspects of the game.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great points AV, i will add the following.

1) We MUST protect bulger
    2) Win the turnover battle
    3) Convert TD's in the red zone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    2. Avoid "blitz downs"
    The Eagles are creative and effective with their blitz packages. The Rams are vulnerable to that strength. Rather than stopping the blitz, the Rams need to avoid it by staying out of third and long.
    Every down is a "blitz down" for Jim Johnson- that's why I love the guy. He isn't as predictable as Haslett and he definately doesn't project his blitzes as much.

Will Jackson, who didn't play a down in preseason, be ready to make an impact? We'd better hope so. If he can get going, he's the best weapon the Rams have.
    I would think the Eagles are gearing up to stop Jackson and make Bulger and the passing game beat them. I think we're going to have to soften them up with the pass to open up the run.

The Rams return and coverage units were not impressive in preseason. This needs to turn around quickly. I do, however, think that the Rams have the superior K/P combination.
    Jackson and Demps both looked really good in the preseason on punt and kick returns while our coverage units looked pretty awful. This is a big concern that I have going into the game.

McNabb is not as mobile as he used to be, and he will make mistakes if pressured. Leonard Little looked great in preseason. Hopefully, he'll get help from Long, Witherspoon, Hall Adeyanju and others.
    If Haslett decides to go primarily with 4 man rushes instead of blitzing, I think we're in trouble. Little looked like the only guy from the DL who had a knack for getting to the QB this preseason and if that's the case, the Eagles will just double-down on him all game. And I really hope he scraps the 3 man rush unless it's like 3rd and 50. Nothing like giving the receivers time to run long routes and the QB time to find them to pump up the offense and deflate the defense.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I would think the Eagles are gearing up to stop Jackson and make Bulger and the passing game beat them. I think we're going to have to soften them up with the pass to open up the run.
    Absolutely!! One thing I am looking forward to is observing Saunder's playcalling. He is no stranger to Jim Johnson's defense after a couple of years as the Redskins OC and facing them twice a year. Also the pressure will be off Scotty as Al will be running the offensive show period. This can only help ..

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Absolutely!! One thing I am looking forward to is observing Saunder's playcalling. He is no stranger to Jim Johnson's defense after a couple of years as the Redskins OC and facing them twice a year. Also the pressure will be off Scotty as Al will be running the offensive show period. This can only help ..
    Very good post. I hadn't thought about the Saunders/Redskin thing, but it's a great observation. Saunders should know what to expect, and should know their tendencies.

I want to see the Rams open with the pass, and if successful, it could open up the running game for Jax. I say pass first, run second. I think for the Rams to be successful in the passing game, the TE MUST be involved. They'll come with blitzes and our TE's should have some favorable matchups. I wouldn't rely on Jackson too much in this game though, with his lack of reps this offseason, he'll have strong legs early, but I'll bet Pittman will get his share of plays later in the game.

But your point of Saunders knowledge of the Eagles D is an important one. It could be the advantage the Rams need to win this darn thing.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

1. Protect Bulger, run the ball effectively and limit the penalties.

2. Someone will need to stretch the field, open the running a bit. They have to get the ball to McMicheal.

3. bottle up the run, make them get the ball to Westbrook with the pass. And show a stout front four with a healthy Little.

Rams 23 Philly 19
    Last edited by Richbert88; -08-31-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Semper Fi!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

The biggest hinge pins of the game:

1. Contain Westbrook
    2. Protect Bulger.

Do those two things and we win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eldfan is offline Registered User

I would add keep turnovers low. Bulger no ints or fumbles that takes away scoring chances.
    :ramlogo:

btimsah Guest

This may sound funny, but basically we need to be able to punt the ball. What I mean by that is, if we punt - we can't get that feeling like "Oh God" our defense is on the field. If that happens, were screwed. However, if our defense can suddenly be good for Gods sake, then we can TAKE THE TIME to establish the run and work in the pass. Otherwise it's a long day.

31-13.. LOL

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

keys to winning

1- score more points than the Eagles

2-don't wear the blue pants with the white jerseys

3-don't take your helmet off the entire game,it's Philly you could get hit in the head with something

4-don't eat to many cheesesteaks before the game

5-make sure Linehans headset is turned off.

Truth is offline Registered User

This is a game that the Rams are not expected to win - on the road against a playoff contender. A win, though, could pay dividends down the road if the Rams are fighting for a Wild Card spot. From that standpoint, the optimist might argue that this is a game with a lot of opportunity, not a lot of expectations, and relatively low pressure.

Here are my five keys to victory:

1. Control Brian Westbrook
    He'll get his yards, and that's okay. What the Rams need to do, though, is stop him from breaking any huge runs. They also need to keep an eye on him on third down, as he is a great chain-move in the passing game.

2. Avoid "blitz downs"

Number 5 is only an issue if you're doing a good job on number 1. Given the Rams reputation on run defense, I expect to see alot of running plays from the Eagles. That being said, I think 1 and 5 can be summed up by saying that we need exceptional line play.

I agree that Special Teams play needs to improve from what we've seen recently.

Finally, as GC said, we need to protect the ball on offense.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast