AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's "Looking West" (Pre-Week 14)

I picked all three games correctly last week!

At this point, it seems to be a near certainty that the Rams final game at Seattle will be for the division title. If the Rams lead by one game, are tied, or trail Seattle by one game, that contest will be for the division.

Of course, San Francisco is still lurking, but their hopes are fading rapidly.

On to Week 14!

Current Standings
    St. Louis 6-6
    Seattle 6-6
    San Francisco 4-8
    Arizona 3-9

Week 14 Projections

New Orleans 30 St. Louis 23
    While I do think the Rams are capable of beating the Saints, I think this is a very tough matchup, particularly given that this will be the third consecutive road game. The Rams' best chance will be to pressure Drew Brees and force interceptions, which he is prone to throw. They will also need to sustain drives to keep New Orleans' offense off the field. You can find some hope by looking at how tough the 2009 Rams played the Saints. However, with New Orleans fighting for its own playoff spot, I fear the Rams will be on the short end of this battle in the end.

San Francisco 26 Seattle 23
    This is a tough one to call. Seattle is fighting for the division title, and San Francisco is trying to stay in the race. Both teams have been wildly inconsistent all season. As I have no confidence in Seattle on the road, I'm giving the Niners the slight edge, but I won't be at all surprised if it goes the other way. In a sense, that might be better for the Rams, as a Seattle win would clearly knock San Francisco out of the race.

Arizona 20 Denver 19
    This is a battle between two teams that started the year with some hope and promise, but have fallen apart on the field. I think the Cardinals will muster enough pride to slow down the Broncos' passing offense just enough to finally break their losing streak. Both teams, however, can start planning for 2011.

Projected Standings
    St. Louis 6-7
    Seattle 6-7
    San Francisco 5-8
    Arizona 4-9

If things go as I expect, we'll have to suffer through another week of commentators lamenting the possibility of a sub-.500 division winner. None of that should matter to the Rams, who are already an extremely impressive plus-5 on wins from 2009 to 2010. We're headed for a photo finish, folks! Stay tuned!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-06-2010 at 02:01 PM.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's "Looking West" (Pre-Week 14)

I agree with the predictions. San Fran has to find a way to beat the Sea Hawks, because I don't think that Rams can beat New Orleans.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think it is actually better for us if the ***** win. That would give seattle another division loss. But it is hard to tell because ***** can go 4-0 to finish the season. What would really really be nice is a win against the Saints. I agree with all your picks, I think denver might just put the K.O. on arizona though.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I actually configured a way for the cardinals to goto the playoffs (pretty sure pigs would fly first, requires st louis and seattle tieing). Let alone san fran so we have to be very careful. We have to have seahawks and san fran lose if we expect to only win against the seahawks and san fran. Unless we can scrap a win from the saints or the chiefs

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

ya, all the bobble heads talking about a sub par nfc west champ is annoying. i get their displeasure, but i like how Kurt Warner said it during the game when he was talking about the Cards SB run. loosely quoting from memory here, but it was something like.... 'hey it doesn't matter how you get there, just so long as you get there.'

i've heard other commentators and players who've said, when playoffs start, everybody is 0-0.

thats the nature of tournement bracket play. you play the season to get in and be seeded. after that, it's a single elimination tournament. personally, i think the talking heads need to get over it. they're probably lost on what to say these days so they're picking up whatever they can to stir the pot. personally, i don't think its broken.

go rams

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    ya, all the bobble heads talking about a sub par nfc west champ is annoying. i get their displeasure, but i like how Kurt Warner said it during the game when he was talking about the Cards SB run. loosely quoting from memory here, but it was something like.... 'hey it doesn't matter how you get there, just so long as you get there.'

i've heard other commentators and players who've said, when playoffs start, everybody is 0-0.

thats the nature of tournement bracket play. you play the season to get in and be seeded. after that, it's a single elimination tournament. personally, i think the talking heads need to get over it. they're probably lost on what to say these days so they're picking up whatever they can to stir the pot. personally, i don't think its broken.

go rams
    Yeah, it's getting a little irritating isn't it? But I do agree with one point the bobble heads are making. Getting a home-field game because of a division win, vs. a team with a better record doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. ...and I would bet that there will be serious discussion in the off-season about changing the playoff setup. I would have no problem with the division winner getting a playoff spot, (because I believe the division winner should get a playoff spot) but then seeding should take place based on win-loss records. The only heartburn I have with that is that it's impossible to base win-loss record solely as the criteria for seeding unless the teams play identical schedules. It would turn the NFL into the BCS. ...and that's not something I want to see.

As far as "Looking West", I see the Rams falling to the Saints, the Whiners upsetting the Hawks, and the Cards getting pummeled by the Donkeys.

That will make the Rams/KC game even more interesting. A win against them will put the clamps down on Seattle and force them to beat Atlanta, which I don't think they'll do, even at home.

The team that takes care of the division games, wins the division.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Remaining 2010 NFC West schedules:

St. Louis 6-6
    at New Orleans
    Kansas City
    San Francisco
    at Seattle

Seattle 6-6
    at San Francisco
    Atlanta
    at Tampa Bay
    St. Louis

San Francisco 4-8
    Seattle
    at San Diego
    at St. Louis
    Arizona

Arizona 3-9
    Denver
    at Carolina
    Dallas
    San Francisco

My pedictions:

The seahags have the toughest four games, IMO. I don't see them win more than one game the rest of the way, and will go 1-3 (7-9).

The whiners are practically out of it. As inconsistent as they have been this season, everyone would be very surprised to see them pull out the division title at this point, including themselves. They will finish 2-2 (6-10).

The Cardinals are now irrelevant and will be playing for pride and for 2011. They will finish 0-4 (3-13)

The Rams just need to take care of business and not be too concerned with what everyone else is doing. They're flying pretty high right now after two straight road wins. I would be very disappointed if they do not at least win the home game against the whiners. I believe the Rams have the confidence now to win one more road game, against the seahags, especially if they can keep it close at the Superdome this Sunday. The home game against the Chiefs is the toughest one to call. The Rams will finish at least 2-2 (8-8) and win the division title and host a first round playoff game.

No matter how it ends, when compared to last season, this team certainly has made this season very exciting again for a Rams fan.

Last edited by SavageRam; -12-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

If the whiners win this week, and the Rams can win 1 of the next 2 games, I see it as a real possibility that the Rams are playing to clinch the division at home against the whiners, which would be awesome!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The Hags definitely have the hardest schedule left, and this week's game is critical for them. I just can't see them winning against Atlanta or Tampa, so if they are going to have a chance, they need this game in San Fransisco. If the whiners take this game, I find it hard to see the Rams NOT in the playoffs, as long as we don't self destruct.
    I believe!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Spags springs trap; turns Shurmur lose and goes no huddle the rest of the way. RAMS win the next four and go 10 & 6.
    "The horror"

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

i feel strong about Rams winning out, or at worst one loss. we need to get in the playoffs 10-6 or 9-7, that will quite all them "bobbing heads."

Go Rams restore respect in the West!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Spags springs trap; turns Shurmur lose and goes no huddle the rest of the way. RAMS win the next four and go 10 & 6.
    Now that is the spirit!!!!!

GO RAMS