AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's "Looking West" (Pre-Week 16)

In the last three weeks, I'm 9-1 picking the winners of the NFC West teams' games. Unfortunately, my one miss was the Rams' loss to Kansas City, which was disappointing in so many ways.

Still... the division remains ours for the taking. Are the Rams up to the task?

Current Standings
    St. Louis 6-8
    Seattle 6-8
    San Francisco 5-9
    Arizona 4-10

Week 16 Projections

St. Louis 24 San Francisco 16
    The poor effort of last week notwithstanding, I believe the Rams are going to come out and show some real fire this week. With Frank Gore out of the lineup, the Rams should once again be able to pressure the Niners' QB (whoever ends up starting), and I don't expect to see the same breakdowns in the defensive backfield we saw in San Francisco. This is a "refuse to lose" kind of game for the Rams.

Tampa Bay 21 Seattle 12
    Tampa needs this game to keep in the playoff hunt, and they're not going to lose it on their home field. Seattle is sputtering to the finish line, maybe even more so than the Rams have in the last two weeks. Nonetheless, a loss in Tampa will not have a big impact on the Seahawks' chances if the Rams beat the Niners. Week 17 will still be their moment of truth.

Dallas 34 Arizona 23
    Dallas continues to surge without Wade Phillips and Tony Romo. Arizona will limp to the end of a tough season, as it faces the tough crossroad between the success of the past and the need to build for the future. John Skelton will get another chance to show he's starting QB material, but I doubt he'll secure that designation.

Projected Standings
    St. Louis 7-8
    Seattle 6-9
    San Francisco 5-10
    Arizona 4-11

I'm keeping the faith and projecting that the NFC West will be down to a two team race in Week 17, with the Rams' visit to Seattle a de facto playoff game with one team earning a playoff spot, and the other going home. Fasten your seatbelts, folks... this is going to be a thrilling ride!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-21-2010 at 11:24 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Av's "Looking West" (Pre-Week 16)

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In the last three weeks, I'm 9-1 picking the winners of the NFC West teams' games. Unfortunately, my one miss was the Rams' loss to Kansas City, which was disappointing in so many ways.

Still... the division remains ours for the taking. Are the Rams up to the task?

Current Standings
    St. Louis 6-8
    Seattle 6-8
    San Francisco 5-9
    Arizona 4-10

Week 16 Projections

St. Louis 24 San Francisco 16
    The poor effort of last week notwithstanding, I believe the Rams are going to come out and show some real fire this week. With Frank Gore out of the lineup, the Rams should once again be able to pressure the Niners' QB (whoever ends up starting), and I don't expect to see the same breakdowns in the defensive backfield we saw in San Francisco. This is a "refuse to lose" kind of game for the Rams.

Tampa Bay 21 Seattle 12
    Tampa needs this game to keep in the playoff hunt, and they're not going to lose it on their home field. Seattle is sputtering to the finish line, maybe even more so than the Rams have in the last two weeks. Nonetheless, a loss in Tampa will not have a big impact on the Seahawks' chances if the Rams beat the Niners. Week 17 will still be their moment of truth.

Dallas 34 Arizona 23
    Dallas continues to surge without Wade Phillips and Tony Romo. Arizona will limp to the end of a tough season, as it faces the tough crossroad between the success of the past and the need to build for the future. John Skelton will get another chance to show he's starting QB material, but I doubt he'll secure that designation.

Projected Standings
    St. Louis 7-8
    Seattle 6-9
    San Francisco 5-10
    Arizona 4-11

I'm keeping the faith and projecting that the NFC West will be down to a two team race in Week 17, with the Rams' visit to Seattle a de facto playoff game with one team earning a playoff spot, and the other going home. Fasten your seatbelts, folks... this is going to be a thrilling ride!

Agree with the outcome on all your picks. However, next week I still think the Whiners are the more talented team overall. They just don't have a reliable QB and a poor HC. If they get a solid game out of their QB, they'll beat the Rams in their house. The Rams will need to step it up from previous weeks. Even w/o Gore in the backfield, the Rams are horrendous against the run, and the Whiners should be able to run against them. Heck, they're lousy against the pass too, but Alex Smith shouldn't scare anybody. ...should he?

I said it weeks ago, and I'll say it here again.

The winner of the Rams/Whiners game will win the West.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I said it weeks ago, and I'll say it here again.

The winner of the Rams/Whiners game will win the West.
    One week at a time, eh? First, go beat the crap out of the Digits. If you do that, then the last game of the season will determine the division championship.

Both of your last two games are playoff games. If you don't beat the Digits, then that final game is irrelevant for you. It still could be meaningful for us, if we beat the Bucs. If you don't beat the Digits and we don't beat the Bucs, then that final game is irrelevant for both of us -- unless the Cards pull one out against the Digits, and smart money wouldn't bet on that.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

If Seattle and St. Louis both end up 7-9. Who takes the division??

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    If Seattle and St. Louis both end up 7-9. Who takes the division??
    Depends on who has the better net points. We currently have the upperhand in that position having -34 while the Squawks have -84. Still pretty embarrassing though to have the two NFC West leaders below the net point expectations as well as the .500 marker.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Depends on who has the better net points. We currently have the upperhand in that position having -34 while the Squawks have -84. Still pretty embarrassing though to have the two NFC West leaders below the net point expectations as well as the .500 marker.
    It's actually who has the best record against division opponenets. This is the list according to NFL.com

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.

It goes on for a while, but it will come down to us having to beat Seattle to get in.