Current Standings

San Francisco 3-1 (1-0)
Seattle 1-3 (1-1)
Arizona 1-3 (0-1)
St. Louis 0-4 (0-0)

I was an even 2-2 last week. The biggest surprise was the Niners' victory over the Eagles. That game was a perfect example of execution prevailing over talent (something the Rams could learn from). After a quarter of the season, my non-homer picks have been strong (8/10 on non-Rams games). The Rams, of course, have killed me.
Av's Prediction Meter: 8-6 (.571).

Week 5 Predictions

Vikings 20 Cardinals 16
Until Arizona can show an ability to win on the road, I will keep picking against them, even against a mediocre opponent like the Vikings. The Cardinals don't have an overwhelming weak point, but they also are not exceptional in any area.

Giants 27 Seahawks 10
Seattle put up a much better fight against the Falcons than I expected, but this week their on the road against a superior team. This would be a good "suicide pool" game for anyone who has not used the Giants yet.

Niners 19 Buccaneers 17
This is an interesting matchup, and a tough game to call. If the game were in Tampa, I'd have the Bucs as a prohibitive favorite. In San Francisco, though, I think the Niners will emerge victorious in a closely fought game. Don't bet the house on this one, though (unless you can get Tampa with some points!).

Rams (bye)

Projected Standings

San Francisco 4-1 (1-0)
Seattle 1-4 (1-1)
Arizona 1-4 (0-1)
St. Louis 0-4 (0-0)

The Niners will start to put the rest of the division into their rear-view mirror after this week, but all is not lost. If the Rams can get their act together, they should benefit from an easier second-half schedule. The Niners, on the other hand, have road games at Detroit, Baltimore and Washington to look forward to, as well as home games against Pittsburgh and the Giants. Right now, though, its looking like a one team race.