Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Baby alyx, some penalties, but....

I thought on the whole baby alyx had another very strong game. He played against a stud defensive end and really held his own. Sure he had some rookie penalites and a very rough series at the end of the first half, but how about the way he rallied and played like a man in the second half without further incident. the kid is really going to be special.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Baby alyx, some penalties, but....

I don't see how you can call this a strong game when he had four penalties in the first half. He adjusted in the second half, but you can't ignore the mistakes of the first. At best, I'd call it a decent outting, and he's clearly our best option, but he's got to calm down out there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

How many sacks did he give up? Did he help create some running room for jackson? I am not saying he played at a pro bowl level, merely that playing against a very very tough guy, he more than held his own and showed real mental toughness in the second half. I also thought one of the false start calls was very iffy. Bottom line, we all expect rookie mistakes, but physically, it is clear to me that he is very gifted.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I bet Martz was setting at home and jumped up off his couch and started scripting plays for Barron after seeing his pass catching ability I am sure he wants to use him as a TE maybe even WR (He is a big target).

LOL

I do agree he is very athletic for as big as he is and will be a ProBowl player one day.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-30-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Bottom line, we all expect rookie mistakes, but physically, it is clear to me that he is very gifted.
    Rereading my response, I don't believe I was debating that point. I'm merely saying he didn't have a great day because of a pretty questionable undisciplined first half.

And just to note, I remember listening to the radio broadcast and hearing Hanifan saying Barron had missed some blocks, one specifically on a run that went for little gain.

It was no where near a "very strong game," in my opinion. Perhaps it was even his worst of the season, but even if it was, he was still better than anyone else we could have fielded at the position, and he certainly was not horrible. Just reminded us that he is, in fact, a rookie.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Barron Played A Very Good Game, He Made Some Mistakes,hes A Rookie, It Must Be Nice To Be Perfect And Never Make Mistakes, You Guys That Are Bashing His Game Today Let Me Know How You Guys Go Through Life Not Making Any Mistakes Or At The Very Least Have A Bad Day, Must Be Pretty Cool.

I am not really disagreeing with you nick. not his best game for sure. if this is the worst he ever does, we will be in pretty good shape. he really needs to cut down on the mental errors.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    Barron Played A Very Good Game, He Made Some Mistakes,hes A Rookie, It Must Be Nice To Be Perfect And Never Make Mistakes, You Guys That Are Bashing His Game Today Let Me Know How You Guys Go Through Life Not Making Any Mistakes Or At The Very Least Have A Bad Day, Must Be Pretty Cool.
    Oh puh-lease, could you be a little more overdramatic about it? Come on, the guy didn't play a great game. He made mistakes. No one's crucifying him for it, just saying he didn't play a great game. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    if this is the worst he ever does, we will be in pretty good shape.
    Agreed 100%.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Barron went through a few growing pains today, but he gets a pass because he has had so few of those during his first few games as a starter. Barron bounced back from those bad penalties and was solid again pass blocking. He continues to improve as a run blocker also. With Orlando Pace and Barron as the bookends, the future of the offensive line looks bright. --Nick Wagoner
    Wagoner also praises the Rams entire OL after today's game, Timmerman hurt, etc.

:clanram:

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Nick "oh Puh Lease" Very High Schoolish, But Thats Ok And You Were Picking His Game Apart, It Was You Who Mentioned On The Radio That They Said He Missed A Block On A Running Play,for A Rookie He Played Very Well.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I am sure he wants to use him as a TE maybe even WR (He is a big target).
    I think Fairchild might want to try that out. Can you name someone that would really want to tackle big Ole' Alex if he came barreling down the sideline.

At least his pass catching has been more consistent than Manumaleuna's.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, we know we can use him as a TE eligible play don't we?

He had a decent game. The penalties didn't kill the Rams but he looked somewhat flustered during that series. He didn't give up a sack though, and had some key blocks during the running game.

Overall, I'll give him a C+ and tell him to be more disciplined.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The nice thing about Barron is, while he is making some rookie mistakes, particularly on false starts, I have yet to see any opposing DE beat him on any consistent basis.

Big change from St. Clair/Grant Williams/Scott Tercero/Blaine Sapaia/Rex Tucker (aka the revolving door).

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    Nick "oh Puh Lease" Very High Schoolish, But Thats Ok And You Were Picking His Game Apart, It Was You Who Mentioned On The Radio That They Said He Missed A Block On A Running Play,for A Rookie He Played Very Well.
    One, I mentioned the radio broadcast because GC asked how many sacks he gave up and if he helped in the run game.

Two, very high schoolish? I'm not the one who was being completely overdramatic and defensive when Barron being criticized, but if mocking my word choice is more your forté, have at it.

My point is simply Barron did not have a great game - while he blocked fairly well for the duration of the contest and did not get beat from what I remember, he seemed at times as if he wasn't concentrating and made some mistakes that could have been worse than they were. It was an okay game for Barron, I think. Not great, not horrible. Just okay.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-31-2005 at 01:58 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As a sidenote, how awesome is it that on a thread discussing our RT, the major concern is a couple of penalties during the first half. Before Barron, the concern would be how many pints of blood would Bulger cough up before he got a decent pass block from the right side.

Thank you, Alex Barron, on even a semi-decent game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast