thermobee is offline Registered User

Back to the basics.

Ive been watching our beloved Rams the last couple of weeks and just like everyone else I have been very excited about the poise and accuracy that Sam Bradford has shown. He has taken great strides towards elite in this Qb driven league and should be a cornerstone for years to come.

BUT...

In order for this team to be successful long term I believe we need to get back our ways prior to the Sammy Bradford era. We need to get tougher at the point of attack aka Oline and establish the run. I think that would be pivotal as we go forward. I fear we have fallen in love too much with the pass and might drive Sammy into the ground, either that or destroy his shoulder. Now I know that he has help up so far and I know that they are taking the quick pass approach so he doesnt take a beating. Either way we need to be more balanced and use the run to open up our passing.

Look at few years. Once the purge happened we ran Steven Jackson without mercy and now his career carries are getting up there. I am not trying to make a prediction on how his career will pan out from this point on but I fear he might be slowing down. Now do we want to do the same with Sammy? Have a passing game and just do that 30 to 40 times a game? I think we DONT.

We need to take a page out the Steelers' book and build and operate a team the way they do. Solid defense, solid running game and opportunistic passing that is opened up because of the run game.

1. Defense is on its way there and after another draft and FA should be the defense we've all be waiting for.
    2. We have all seen that Sam Bradford is a great Qb even with our receiving corp.
    3. Our running game has been non existent the last couple of games, therefore we need to establish it often and early and this team WILL be going places every year.

Those places are the playoffs by the way...

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Back to the basics.

While I don't disagree that we need a more balanced running attack, I think that stems more around having a competent backup in the running game. I don't see Bradford throwing the ball 30+ times a game as a big problem. Two of the top 4 passing attempts per game leaders are still playing today (Drew Brees 34.7, Peyton Manning 34.5) and I don't think emulating their success would be a bad thing. Before the Bradford era has been 3 years of dismay, so those kind of "basics" are what I would like to see the team avoid. I'm more in the camp of being aggressive and seeing some creative play calling (I am one of those NOT harping on the shovel pass).

Just my 2 cents
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

thermobee is offline Registered User

I guess most people dont agree with my philosophy Its ok time will tell... Point it feels nice to be playing meaningful football at this time of the year.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

We cannot establish the run game because:

1) Our interior o-line is very mediocre at creating push in the run game

2) Our passing game is a dink and dunk philosophy, and defenses can stack the box without fear of being beat deep.

To establish the run, we NEED to open up the passing playbook. Although we don't exactly have the best receivers to do it, we need to be more aggressive in the passing game. Doing so will then open holes for Jackson.

IMO, I don't mind Bradford throwing 30-40 attempts per game.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    We cannot establish the run game because:

1) Our interior o-line is very mediocre at creating push in the run game

2) Our passing game is a dink and dunk philosophy, and defenses can stack the box without fear of being beat deep.

To establish the run, we NEED to open up the passing playbook. Although we don't exactly have the best receivers to do it, we need to be more aggressive in the passing game. Doing so will then open holes for Jackson.

IMO, I don't mind Bradford throwing 30-40 attempts per game.
    It's a good thing there's a good chance of DX coming back this week =)!

Bud Frosty is offline Registered User

This league is a passing league. I'm not saying intentionally downplay the run, or emphasize the pass. The Rams need to be more balanced in their run/pass plays, but when time is short and you need to score, the pass is what gets you in position.

Yesterday, Drew Breeze brought the Saints back and won the game with a downfield passing game, not a solid running game.

When we get a receiver that can stretch the field a number of those 30-40 passes a game are going to be big plays. Instead of 17 points a game it will be 30+. You know how much that opens things up for Steve Jackson having a receiver or two (tight ends too) to take the eyes of the LB's & DB's. No more 8 in the box for opposing defenses.

I'd love to see Danario Alexander become the #1 WR. He sure looked good on the diving reception.
    Last edited by Bud Frosty; -11-26-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

What we did before Bradford was not win more than 3 games in a season and stead lose more and more games over a 3 season period. We don't need anymore of that. Every year Jackson piles up yards with nothing to show for it in terms of TD's and team wins.

We need to do what works. Jackson definitely needs more than 7 carries but we also don't need to force feed him because we feel obligated to do so. DO WHAT WINS THE GAME. In short, do what freakin works. If thats Bradford going gunslinger then so be it. If thats Jackson pounding the pig then do it.

We need to own time of possession and have a balanced attack.

We all know that Denver's defense will once again key on Jackson all game. So feed SJax and take advantage of their keying in on him to let others have big days. Jackson needs to become somewhat of a decoy tomorrow IMO.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    We need to take a page out the Steelers' book and build and operate a team the way they do. Solid defense, solid running game and opportunistic passing that is opened up because of the run game.
    Ultimately I think that's close to the vision that Spagnuolo has for this team, but the personnel just isn't there yet.

The Rams are 23rd in the league in yards per carry average; they're just not running the ball effectively. There are probably a number of reasons for that - personnel shortcomings, poor offensive line play particularly on the inside, a lack of downfield passing to stretch the defense, predictable/poorly designed runs, etc.

Improvements to the offensive line, particularly at guard, as well as the addition of a second running back to help Jackson will get the Rams closer to this vision. In the meantime, I'm not a believer in just pounding the run just for the sake of pounding it. If it's not working, change tactics. Adjust to what the defense is giving you.

If that means the Rams have to throw 30-40 times, so be it... as long as it's working.