Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Back Up QB

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Back Up QB

Russell was a bust to me when after going 4 for 13 with no TDs and 2 INTS he said in a after game interivew that he thought he did pretty good. The guy HAD physical talent. The guy HAS a two cent head. Just because Al Davis took him with the #1 overall pick doesn't mean he was worth the #1 overall pick. Al even knew that he had a minder making sure he went to class.

I would rather have Hekker as the #3 QB over Clemons at this point. There are diamonds in the rough out there. Maybe not a Kurt Warner. Snead needs to do something here because I unfortunately think Kosar was correct in regards to Clemons, he doesn't appear to have what it takes at this point. And I don't care that its with the scrubs, its also against the scrubs. To me his play looks almost disinterested.

Comon' Les. There's a guy out there who'll be under appreciated or entirely overlooked by someone. Watch those 3rd's and check those cut lists.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -08-18-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

Semper Fi!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Gentleman there might be another option available to the Rams. Not all teams will keep all their QBs. Some are toying with just having 2 QBs for the 2013 campaign. I bet right now Rams front office is keeping a close eye on who might be available. However, as a rule its better if a team brings in a QB from the outset to learn the system/play calling, then to bring in late an outsider. Unless I am missing something Clemons play thus far invalidates that rule

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You act as if it's not universally acknowledged that he was a huge bust. The guy was drafted first overall and paid over $10 million a year, amassed a career QB rating in the mid 60s, and was out of the league after three seasons.

But since you asked, how about a guy who writes for NFL.com itself?

Russell supplants Leaf atop list of all-time draft busts - NFL.com

The guy was an absolute disaster, and I have no idea why a questionable situation at back-up quarterback would cause Rams fans to completely forget or reinvent history about JaMarcus.

Since expressing his desire to come back to the NFL in January, Russell has had a grand total of one workout. That team, the Bears, elected not to sign him. He was not brought into anyone's training camp - no one in this league views his upside as being great enough to even give him any kind of camp reps.

Picking him up now, expecting him to immerse himself in a pro offense, and master it to the point of efficiently performing as a back-up quarterback is astronomically unlikely.
    I'm not a Russell crusader, but I have seen enough of Clemons and I don't think Russell will be any worse, infact I think he'll be better. I take his decline as an NFL QB from a serious lack of maturity. You can bring a guy like him in for the league minimum for a year. If he works out great if not he's no worse than Clemons.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Gentleman there might be another option available to the Rams. Not all teams will keep all their QBs. Some are toying with just having 2 QBs for the 2013 campaign. I bet right now Rams front office is keeping a close eye on who might be available. However, as a rule its better if a team brings in a QB from the outset to learn the system/play calling, then to bring in late an outsider. Unless I am missing something Clemons play thus far invalidates that rule
    That is an option yes, but nonetheless something needs to be done, cause Davis and Clemons are the worst

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I definitely agree that he's a bust. There is NO side stepping that one. He had arguably the most disappointing career ever and is surely noted as one of the top busts in NFL history. With that being said, I don't really care about his past in that sense. Mike Williams was a colossal bust and Pete Carroll got a very good season/2 out of him.

Even Jamarcus Russell at his worst is a lot better than both of our QB's. You bring the guy in and have him study the offense extensively. Once he's regained form you let him go out and show the talent he has. I'm not sure why so many people get their panties in a bunch anytime the name "Jamarcus Russell" is brought up. Why do you care so much about his idiotic past? Are you a Raiders fan? We've had enough of our own busts to worry about (Jason Smith most recently) so forget about what Jamarcus did.

This may all be a long shot (which it definitely is) but I don't see why you wouldn't go after Jamarcus. At this point, I'd love to see Mark Sanchez as the #2 QB but with his outrageous contract (this year) I don't think that's happening. If we could lock him up next year for an affordable rate he'd make a GREAT #2 QB.
    jjigga3000 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Just because Al Davis took him with the #1 overall pick doesn't mean he was worth the #1 overall pick.
    Sure, but there were numerous people who were raving about Russell during the draft process. Analysts and former coaches alike were glowing over him.

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I'm not a Russell crusader, but I have seen enough of Clemons and I don't think Russell will be any worse, infact I think he'll be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Even Jamarcus Russell at his worst is a lot better than both of our QB's.
    I'll say this - that's very easy to say from the comfort of your couch watching a very limited sample of these players. The fact that NONE of the 32 teams in the league even invited Russell to camp and only one was willing to even give him a workout (which they were so impressed by that they just brought Trent Edwards in instead) seems to suggest which side of this debate the professional talent evaluators come down on.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-18-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

There is absolutely ZERO evidence to suggest that Russell has the brains or maturity to grasp the complexities of an NFL offense. It's not all about talent. Does he have talent and arm strength? Of course. But thinking that he could come into a situation and learn an offense and succeed in it is 100% pure speculation and to believe that he will be better than guys just because he has superior talent is where the analysis went wrong with this guy in the first place. Right out of the box his work ethic was highly suspect and he never showed the commitment to learn the position, despite his fantastic god given gifts.

Now, if the Rams need some tutoring on how to best utilize The Grape, Jamarcus might be an excellent addition.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Randart is offline Registered User

Let the Jets keep Sanchise... Also not sure about Jaw Marcus, if he was league minimum maybe cause like most I am in no way happy if Kellen is our back up QB. Davis is the best option we have now, also addressed this in another thread but would be nice to draft a exciting back up next year with a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Would be so much fun to have a viable back up to develope and when he is ready to start trade him for something we need. And do it again... Everybody jumped my case for suggesting Johnny Football so I won't name names but I still want a talented back up. I like QB's... lol
    ManofGod likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Before you throw Austin Davis under the bus, please keep in mind that the Rams had one TD in the game, which in itself is rather laughable, and it happened when Davis was the QB, with an O-Line that was like Swiss cheese; on the run; and threw it right into the receiver's hands. Clemons is horrible, but let's not assume that Jamarcus Russell is the answer.
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

Sure, but there were numerous people who were raving about Russell during the draft process. Analysts and former coaches alike were glowing over him.
    Was Demof, Snead or Fisher one of them?

Conventional wisdom thinking is not a strong suit for me. Just because someone else has an opinion doesn't make them right. More importantly, did you Nick have any opinions about Russell coming out of college, and if so, what were they?
    Semper Fi!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Was Demof, Snead or Fisher one of them?

Conventional wisdom thinking is not a strong suit for me. Just because someone else has an opinion doesn't make them right. More importantly, did you Nick have any opinions about Russell coming out of college, and if so, what were they?
    Thankfully, they weren't among the opinions I could find. I'd have to go back six years to find my posts on the matter. I can't even remember what I had for lunch today.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams would be in big trouble if their starting QB went down.

Much like 90% of the teams in the NFL.

That said, I see little utility in having a guy like Clemens as the backup, as he has no real upside. I'd be in favor of looking at QBs in Rounds 6-7 next year to find a guy to develop as a viable backup.
    thoey likes this.

Thankfully, they weren't among the opinions I could find. I'd have to go back six years to find my posts on the matter. I can't even remember what I had for lunch today.
    I'd find it interesting simply due to your work that I've read the past couple years, which is valued.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Rams would be in big trouble if their starting QB went down.

Much like 90% of the teams in the NFL.

That said, I see little utility in having a guy like Clemens as the backup, as he has no real upside. I'd be in favor of looking at QBs in Rounds 6-7 next year to find a guy to develop as a viable backup.
    I wouldn't complain about an earlier flyer to be honest. Kapersnifel was a two wasn't he.

But yeah, Clemens doesn't belong anymore. At least a prospect or younger guy would be trying, simply because they want a shot at playing time. Clemens almost looks like he doesn't.
    Semper Fi!

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Trade for Tebow.....

He'll make Davis and Clemons look GREAT!
    citr92 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast