Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Back Up QB

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Back Up QB

Did anyone asking for Jamarcus Russel watch any Raider games? To say without busting out laughing that he would be better than Davis or Clemons is down right laughable. He sports a nice 300 pound frame that might fit in nicely on the defensive line but that guy flat out stinks. I actually like Davis as a back-up. Clemons seems to be struggling a bit but didnt he come in for an injured Bradford either last year or the year before and actually do ok? Who is Peyton Manning's backup? Who is Joe Flacco's backup? How good are those teams without their starter. Very few teams have two starter quality backups. They are called backups for a reason.
    citr92 likes this.

Just Fix It

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Davis has zero experience. Never taken a snap in a meaningful NFL game. He is nowhere near worthy of the bashing he is getting here. I think given an opportunity, he could be a solid player. Let's be honest. The O line is the REAL problem with this team. They looked slightly better in the Packer game...but it looks like another long season ahead for Sam. I don't think another QB has taken the beating that this kid has, over the last 3 years.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Davis has zero experience. Never taken a snap in a meaningful NFL game. He is nowhere near worthy of the bashing he is getting here. I think given an opportunity, he could be a solid player. Let's be honest. The O line is the REAL problem with this team. They looked slightly better in the Packer game...but it looks like another long season ahead for Sam. I don't think another QB has taken the beating that this kid has, over the last 3 years.
    I don't think it will be long season for Sam at all. He's stayed pretty clean if you ask me. Now the depth isnt very good which could be an issue if we are hit with the injury bug.
    ManofGod likes this.
    Just Fix It

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Did anyone asking for Jamarcus Russel watch any Raider games? To say without busting out laughing that he would be better than Davis or Clemons is down right laughable. He sports a nice 300 pound frame that might fit in nicely on the defensive line but that guy flat out stinks. I actually like Davis as a back-up. Clemons seems to be struggling a bit but didnt he come in for an injured Bradford either last year or the year before and actually do ok? Who is Peyton Manning's backup? Who is Joe Flacco's backup? How good are those teams without their starter. Very few teams have two starter quality backups. They are called backups for a reason.
    Peyton Manning actually has relatively decent backups. The Broncos drafted both Brock Osweiler and Zac Dysert (in the 2nd and 6th rounds) so I'm not sure where you're headed there... Not to mention at least most of the teams who don't have great backups have a mobile QB. If the guy can't throw, at least let him have the ability to scramble. Falcons - Dominique Davis, Ravens - Tyrod Taylor, Bengals - Josh Johnson, and I'm sure there is plenty more I could find. By the way Jamarcus Russell is currently only 265 lbs..

At the end of the day I'm not here to argue this point with you. I really couldn't care less if you want him or not. I brought up a point I think is valid and would be a decent idea, you don't have to agree. But to say "Yeah everyone else's backup QB's sucks so should ours" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my entire life.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Peyton Manning actually has relatively decent backups. The Broncos drafted both Brock Osweiler and Zac Dysert (in the 2nd and 6th rounds) so I'm not sure where you're headed there... Not to mention at least most of the teams who don't have great backups have a mobile QB. If the guy can't throw, at least let him have the ability to scramble. Falcons - Dominique Davis, Ravens - Tyrod Taylor, Bengals - Josh Johnson, and I'm sure there is plenty more I could find. By the way Jamarcus Russell is currently only 265 lbs..

At the end of the day I'm not here to argue this point with you. I really couldn't care less if you want him or not. I brought up a point I think is valid and would be a decent idea, you don't have to agree. But to say "Yeah everyone else's backup QB's sucks so should ours" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my entire life.
    So two qb's who have seen little to zero action are already a better option than Austin Davis and Kellen Clemons? I forgot Russell is down to 265 after having to lose 50 lbs because he was so out of shape he couldnt play qb could not possibly be worse than Clemons and Davis. I saw Russell in Oakland and he was worse than horrible. As far as having scrambling qb's as back ups what good does that do if he isnt a good passer? Is Jamarcus Russel going to out run the defense at 265? Dominique Davis? Has he even taken a regular season snap? Tyrod Taylor come on man what has he shown that is any better than Davis or Clemons? Josh Johnson is ok but i dont find him to be that much better than what we already have. I'm not saying what we have is great but they wouldnt be called back ups if they were.
    Just Fix It

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

So two qb's who have seen little to zero action are already a better option than Austin Davis and Kellen Clemons? I forgot Russell is down to 265 after having to lose 50 lbs because he was so out of shape he couldnt play qb could not possibly be worse than Clemons and Davis. I saw Russell in Oakland and he was worse than horrible. As far as having scrambling qb's as back ups what good does that do if he isnt a good passer? Is Jamarcus Russel going to out run the defense at 265? Dominique Davis? Has he even taken a regular season snap? Tyrod Taylor come on man what has he shown that is any better than Davis or Clemons? Josh Johnson is ok but i dont find him to be that much better than what we already have. I'm not saying what we have is great but they wouldnt be called back ups if they were.
    Actually yes, I'd take every last one of those backups over what we have. Your backup is obviously not nearly as talented as your starter. Probably doesn't know the offense as much, and is un-familiar with the 1st string offensive lineman and skill players. If you're going to have a guy who can't throw at least bring in someone who can do 1 of: Run or throw. What I wanted? I wanted us to take E.J Manuel in round 4 of this past draft but as we got closer to the draft he rose quickly.

I just want a decent backup who has a decent arm and some mobility. I'd be shocked if we don't spend a mid round pick on a guy in this next draft.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Actually yes, I'd take every last one of those backups over what we have. Your backup is obviously not nearly as talented as your starter. Probably doesn't know the offense as much, and is un-familiar with the 1st string offensive lineman and skill players. If you're going to have a guy who can't throw at least bring in someone who can do 1 of: Run or throw. What I wanted? I wanted us to take E.J Manuel in round 4 of this past draft but as we got closer to the draft he rose quickly.

I just want a decent backup who has a decent arm and some mobility. I'd be shocked if we don't spend a mid round pick on a guy in this next draft.
    I get wanting a decent back up but all of the names you mentioned are also unknowns. If you just want to throw someone back there who can run why not just line up D Rich at qb and call it a day. No one knows if any of the names you mentioned are any good either.
    Just Fix It

MACD is offline Registered User

JaMarcus Russell?!! Well, we do have a lot of chicken farms in Missouri.

I don't have any love for Domer, but for some reason I keep rooting for Brady Quinn to have success somewhere.
    rammiser likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Wow. Bernie Kosar is posting on Clanram now?

citr92 is offline Registered User

sam hasn't been sacked yet..if that happened the entire season...he doesn't get sacked, which is awesome!

though the run game....we'll see

i don't doubt things will turn up a few notches when the regular season hits

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Did anyone asking for Jamarcus Russel watch any Raider games? To say without busting out laughing that he would be better than Davis or Clemons is down right laughable.
    What's the saying? "The grass is always greener..."

Ironically, I believe Davis has a better QB rating through two games this preseason than in the four he did last year, and last year most came away very impressed by him. So much so that a tiny portion of the fan base talked about him pushing Bradford.

I have no objections to the opinion that the Rams need to consider upgrading at back-up QB. What I find nonsensical is the opinion that JaMarcus Russell does that. To those who would argue that he's worth a shot because of his talent, the obvious follow-up question is why is he still looking for work?
    rammiser and ManofGod like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I wonder if Jamie Martin is still around...

Seriously - a couple of years back, we had a kid from UTEP who didn't look TOO bad. I can't remember his name, but I think he looked better than our current backups. At least he looked like he had potential.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I wonder if Jamie Martin is still around...

Seriously - a couple of years back, we had a kid from UTEP who didn't look TOO bad. I can't remember his name, but I think he looked better than our current backups. At least he looked like he had potential.
    Are you thinking of Keith Null from West Texas A&M? He certainly provided some exciting moments. I'll tell you who I'd love to have as a backup right about now, Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    MauiRam and rammiser like this.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Are you thinking of Keith Null from West Texas A&M? He certainly provided some exciting moments. I'll tell you who I'd love to have as a backup right about now, Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    Mike, that is EXACTLY who I was thinking of. And Fitz would be a viable backup - I wouldn't want him for more than 3 or 4 games at most, though. (Thinking of the worst possible scenario) I do think Null (or someone like him) would be much better than our current backups.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    I'll tell you who I'd love to have as a backup right about now, Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    Please elucidate me (honest question). Is there any chance of acquiring Fitz from the Titan's?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast