Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Back Up QB

Haste is offline Registered User

Re: Back Up QB

Is Leinart available?

I think he would make a good #2, or 3 if anything at vet min.
    jjigga3000 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Latest from Jim Thomas on our backup QB (Thur. 22, p.m.)...

Backup QB situation is undecided
    By Jim Thomas, STL PD, 08/22/13, p.m.

A sunny-side-up kind of guy, Kellen Clemens enjoys his job and the environment at Rams Park. He likes the coaches and players in the quarterback room. He likes working for an established, well-respected head coach.

“So I’m very thankful for an opportunity to be here, to be in this organization as opposed to some other ones because there’s a quality of life and a quality of coming to work that you just don’t find everywhere,” Clemens said.

But with cutdown days looming, there’s always uncertainty, and with Clemens it’s a double-edged sword. For one, he’s trying to retain his 2012 status as the Rams’ No. 2 quarterback. For another, he’s just trying to make the roster, period.

“At the end of the day, you do the best that you can out here,” Clemens said earlier in camp. “You do the best that you can in the film room and the weight room and the training room. And there are some cards that are just gonna fall the way that they’re gonna fall.

“So we’ll wait and see. We’ll see what Coach (Jeff) Fisher’s gonna do. And we’ll go from there. I really hope that I’m here. I’m gonna do the best that I can with the things that I can control to make sure that I’m here but ultimately it’s his decision. So long answer to short question, I don’t know.”

And that’s probably the best answer at the moment. More likely than not, Fisher keeps both Davis and Clemens as backups to Sam Bradford. As far as who’s No. 2 and who’s No. 3 on the depth chart, give Davis the edge so far.

But Fisher could decide to keep just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. As remote as the possibility may sound, Davis still is eligible for the practice squad.

Last year, the Rams opened the regular season with Bradford and Davis on the active roster. Clemens was released in the final cutdown but was told to stay put in St. Louis. That’s because he was re-signed the following week, a move that meant his contract was not guaranteed (because he wasn’t on the opening-day roster).

Those are all options for Fisher.

So far, neither Davis nor Clemens has taken the world of August football by storm.

Working with the third-string offense, Clemens played better than the numbers indicated in the preseason opener in Cleveland, Bernie Kosar’s heckling notwithstanding. Working with the second unit last Saturday against Green Bay, Clemens had a nightmare of a night. Two for 11 for 27 yards, and a passer rating of 0.0. He was sacked twice and threw two interceptions, with the first coming on a pass thrown into the end zone.

As for Davis, he played better against Cleveland than it appeared at first blush, completing some key third-down passes. His five series with the second team produced a pair of Greg Zuerlein field goals. Against Green Bay, Davis completed only two of his first seven throws working with the third-team offense before leading the Rams on a 74-yard touchdown drive in the final 2 minutes of play.

Overall, Davis hasn’t shown the improvisational skills that he did a year ago at this time although he has a decent passer rating of 84.1 so far in exhibition play.

If Fisher is concerned about the guys playing behind Bradford, he’s not saying. When asked about the backup QB competition, Fisher focused on pass protection and the opposing team’s propensity to blitz when the backup QBs have been in the game.

“It’s been difficult to evaluate particularly because of what we were seeing in the second half from the defenses,” Fisher said. “We had seven straight pressures at one point from Green Bay.

“When you’ve got young offensive linemen in there, some of them we’ve just recently signed, sometimes there’s gonna be some additional pressure, unneeded pressure on the passer. So they’re hard to evaluate. But, we’re hoping that the next couple weeks we can solidify things up front in the second half and give them a chance.”

Way back at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Fisher said that the No. 2 job probably would go to Davis, even if the team re-signed Clemens. Clemens, who was an unrestricted free agent, re-signed with the Rams on April 16.

“To be honest, I feel it’s something I don’t even worry about,” Davis said. “It’s hard not to obviously. But you just have to go when you get reps and play, and just let everything happen.

“It’s extremely hard to do that. I’m not saying that’s easy. But I think that’s really the best approach: to not get worried about this or that, or rotations. Make the team better when you’re on the field, and everything else will just happen.”

In part because of Clemens’ personality, this has been a very friendly competition.

“Austin’s a special kid,” said Clemens, 30, who is six years Davis’ elder. “It’s a unique situation because I see a lot of me in Austin. We have so many similarities.

“So what was done for me when I was a young kid, I’m trying to pay it forward to him and help him along as much as I can.”

Even so this can be a desperate time for those seeking to land a job or keep a job, particularly once the starters or top backups are finished for the night in preseason games.

“Well, I know exactly how that feels actually,” Davis said. “That’s part of it. I mean, guys are out here clawing, trying to make the football team. It’s just that little extra motivation. And you don’t really know. That’s this time of year for the NFL. There’s a lot of guys that are in those same shoes.”

RealRam is offline Registered User

[Delete duplicate post above, sorry.]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345