throwback week

ramfan247 Guest

Thumbs up Background info on new TE Daniel Fells

Someone hacked my last account so I made a new one. For those who I've talked to a bunch of times, mt pervious ID was RamLandFan21.
    Hopefully Joe will step up for us but I've done some research and found some encouraging info about Fells:
    -He was a California All-star Wide receiver in high school.
    -He was converted to Tight End in college and put on about thirty pounds in college and supposedly kept his wide receiver speed and hands at Cal Davis.
    -He was projected to be drafted high in the 2006 draft but then broke his leg his senior year. He only played in five games his senior year and went to DI-AA school but was still impressive enough to get a combine invite.
    -He played well in the preseason with the Falcons and stayed on the active roster for his whole rookie year. So even though he was a developmental player they clearly didn't want to lose him to another team's roster.
    -He didn't get any playing time in the preseason the following year and then was cut last minute by Petrino.
    -Followed Greg Knapp and Tom Cable from Atlanta to the Raiders but only stayed on their practice squad. The Raiders had just signed TE Miller to a multimillion dollar contract.
    -Tampa signed him to a futures contract for 2008 but also signed three vets who beat him out during training camp. Samir of personnel says his film from preseason this year is real good and that he was number one on their list if a TE got hurt. The film apparently shows that Fells can still run clean routes and catch balls, but he is also a good blocker.

I figure if we are gonna have a leading TE receiver again this year, this is probably the guy. I'm originally from California too, so I like the guy

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Background info on new TE Daniel Fells

well..give him a go..not getting too excited...but it is only for the 3rd TE spot so not much to worry bout unless Klop & Becht go down..

Mooselini Guest

Eh...I'm not too excited either. If he shuts me up then thats great. But until then, he's just another player.

Falconator Guest

when Falcons had Daniel Fells he looked fantastic in the pre-season games but ended up cut after one year - not sure why - think he's a good receiver but not much of a blocker......has potential though!

ramfan247 Guest

Yea, this kid has a record of dominating in preseason games, but that seems to get over looked because exhibition games dont mean that much. One thing that is a testament to him though is that I read a couple articles that said that Tampa gave him a big signing bonus in January and then offered him the full roster salary to get him to stay on their practice squad. So maybe some coaches on different teams have seen glimpses of greatness in him but hes not yet developed...or maybe he is legit and a high calibur player but hes never been given the chance to see the field during the regular season. Either way we'll find out soon!
    I personally am thinking he'll beat Joe out. We'll see though. Fells seems like a smooth route runner and Becht and Klop seem mechanical. Time will tell.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Samir of personnel
    Just me, or does this phrase scare the yahtzee right out of ya?

Samir of personnel? That's like saying Devaney of accounting.......or Haslett of legal.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 Guest

I just can't believe we're talking about signing a TE and we can't even use Linehan jokes anymore- what has this world come to???

ramfan247 Guest

Hey, we gotta look for hope somewhere. If not with fresh feet than where? :-) We need to hear a lot of the word "new" from here on out. So a "new" TE that could be promising (for this year or next) is a cause to celebrate in my opinion.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Im guessin` but maybe Becht put a good word in for him after their time together in Tampa ..so does that make this new guy a F.O.B ?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Better a FOB than a fop!

Personally, I'm kinda indifferent towards this pickup, as it's not like we dropped anyone for him; he's an injury replacement, and will need time learning the system. If and when he gets in, he'll mainly be used to block, which, if Falconator is to be believed, then he's not superb at it.

As Moose said, he's just another player until he proves himself.

ramfan247 Guest

I definitely believe he needs to prove himself. I'm just sayin that it looks like he might...and I HOPE he does too.

yep Guest

I like Daniel Fells, when he was with the Falcons the players use to call him 'Baby Crump' because he reminded them of Alge Crumpler.

RamsFan16 Guest

I like what I hear of him so far. And from what I understand, he's not a FOJH?

If that's the case, I'm glad that he took a shot on another player, unlike Lineham.

Lets see what kind of game he has!

ramfan247 Guest

I heard that he needed an I.V. after practice for hydration but the doctor had already left so they had to call the paramedics. Sounds a lot more serious than it was.