RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Bad Luck? or Bad Moves?

Since Linehan hired we gave several big contracts to players that just did not pan out due to injuries.

Pace - March 2005 seven-year, $52.8 million deal. played in 2005 all 16 games and then missed 23 out of 32 games over the last two years.

Little - 2006 Week 11 Signed 3year $19.5 million extension. Since missed 9 out of 21 games

Pisa - 10/11/2006: Signed 5year, $25 million. Since missed 12 of 27 games.

Bulger - July 2007 six-year, $62.5 million contract. Since missed 4 of 16 games, dealt with concussions, and did not look very sharp(injuries, OL, to many hits).

I must say I thought they where all good at the time and seem to remember the majority of fans I talked to thought the same. This is a lot of money tied up in these guys with very little production since they signed their contracts.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-16-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Mooselini Guest

Re: Bad Luck? or Bad Moves?

I would just say bad luck you know? Bruce is kinda the same. He got a contract extension and he hasnt been able to produce much because he has been injured quite a bit as well.

I'm going to be upset if some of these players pull a Chillar and do great his contract year again.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Since Linehan hired we gave several big contracts to players that just did not pan out due to injuries.

Pace - March 2005 seven-year, $52.8 million deal. played in 2005 all 16 games and then missed 23 out of 32 games over the last two years.

Little - 2006 Week 11 Signed 3year $19.5 million extension. Since missed 9 out of 21 games

Bulger - July 2007 six-year, $62.5 million contract. Since missed 4 of 16 games, dealt with concussions, and did not look very sharp(injuries, OL, to many hits).

I must say I thought they where all good at the time and seem to remember the majority of fans I talked to thought the same. This is a lot of money tied up in these guys with very little production since they signed their contracts.
    It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm sure when signing a player to a new contract that injuries are not part of the equation.

jkramsfan Guest

just bad luck, I agree we all liked these signings at the time they were done.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Wow, we signed these guys what where we thinking.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Wow, we signed these guys what where we thinking.

yeah, really. these are not bad moves. players get injured in the nfl just about more than any other sport. you just have to prepare for this stuff, and we really didn't.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

If we don't resign these guys, where would it leave us? I might argue that all but Pisa's contract were on the long side, but they made sense then and injuries are part of the game. Just a lot of bad luck.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Injuries are just part of the game. The best teams just find a way to play above them.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I know, but the thread asked Bad luck or Bad moves? IMO, they were mostly bad luck.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I know, but the thread asked Bad luck or Bad moves? IMO, they were mostly bad luck.
    Agreed.....probably. Which is to say, maybe an argument could be made that the injuries could have been prevented on some levels. Such as Lovie Smith experienced when he wanted his D-linemen to trim up before training camp, and that was followed by several hamstring problems. Common with quick weightloss.

However, I'm not sold that the injuries were anything more than bad luck. It's the reaction to the bad luck that was a bad move(s), IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

ITS bad luck made from a pre-season of bad preparation brought on by bad moves by the bad coach .

RamOfDenmark Guest

I would have to say what happened here was bad luck more than anything else. The list does not look good at all now, but at the time each move actually looked very good to me. We couldn't have known things would pan out this way (maybe a little bit with Pisa - he had been injured quite a bit before, it wasn't entirely out of the question to expect him to get banged up again, would be nice if someone had noticed that back then near the signing). Other than that, we got hit with bad luck.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Injuries aside for a moment, we all know you got to make the most of what you have. Can anyone say the Rams did that in 07? That the Rams made the most of what they had available after the injuries?

Kinda weird you think, that despite the injuries during the DOLTS and Bolts game-questionable calls and over all bad luck, that the Chargers are now in the AFC title game. And given the whole length of 16 games the Rams cooked up 3 victories?

If this glaring quirk between the Bolts and the Rams isn't evidence enough to show SCOTTY the door with managements boot print on his (CENSURED), what is?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If they were good deals when they were signed, the injuries don't change that.

Were they good deals?

Pace - yes.
    Little - overpriced, but necessary.
    Pisa - questionable.
    Bulger - absolutely.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-16-2008, 04:13 PM