Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HornedHell is offline Registered User

Angry Bad sportmanship, my ass.

31-7 and Martz goes with the onside kick. I wasnt on the sideline but I am sure the talk of the Jets were about their Dolphin comeback on MNF. After that kick...They were doing nothing but watching the clock and Kurt Warner signing autographs. Hey Jets, if you dont like the way today turned out, maybe you should try STOPPING THE RUN sometime soon. Quit your whining. The same goes for the Fox crew. 31-7 in the 3rd quarter is too early to call off the dogs.

"On my signal....unleash hell."

DaddoRam is offline Registered User

Disgusted and embarrassed.

You're wrong, horned. Dead wrong.
    It absolutely WAS bad sportmanship, and TOTALLY uncalled for. I'm as embarrassed to be a Rams fan today as I can remember being since Henley got busted. Yesterday was a disgrace, and Martz made us all look like thugs. That's not the type of team I want to support. What's next? Bring back Phillips? Bring in Rodney Harrison, and celebrate when he cripples another player with a cheap shot to the knees? No way. I won't support that kind of team.
    I'm disgusted and embarrassed.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    i too shook my head in wonder...but this is a many sided issue.

classless...
    up 31-7
    send warner to sign autos in other venue

class...
    Jets came from behind last week 21 pts
    wholelottasmack come from NY - Jets and gnats

do i think it was classless, no. the jets should feel that the rams gave them a great deal of respect. would i want them to do it again, no. i don't like it, but i see the reasons for doing it, and stand behind our coach and team. The NFL needs a bad guy...the 'boys suck so its our turn.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

longhornrams is offline Registered User
    We are applying the wrong concepts of "sportsmanship" here. This is the NFL, not high school or college. These players get PAID to play football, just like Michael Dell gets PAID to run Dell Computer.

If Dell senses any weakness at Compaq, HP, or Gateway, he pounces; cuts prices, offers service incentives, etc. Even if he already has "leading" market share, there is always an incentive to get more.

So, lets return to our PROFESSIONAL football argument. The Rams have a lead on a team that is known for comebacks, and has repeatedly questioned their toughness (remember the "finesse" comments last week). Martz senses a weakness on their kick return team, and takes advantage. I have no problem at all with his actions.

If the Jets don't like this treatment, they have the same options as Compaq and Gateway; fight back. Score points. Stop the Rams from scoring. In short, do what you are paid good money to do.

All this hand-wringing from Rams fans makes me sick. This isn't sandlot football, where you want to have a beer with the other team after the game. I hope Martz and the Rams show the exact same killer instinct against the Saints next week, and score as many points as humanly possible.

JUST WIN, BABY! GO RAMS.
    "I'm from the Lou and I'm Proud"....Nelly

Jeez, tell me you're kidding, DJ..."The NFL Needs a bad guy?" WHY? Why in the name of God does the NFL need poor sportsmanship? They absolutely do not.
    As for "The Jets were talking smack" I have an 8 year old who understands "He did it first" is not an excuse for inexcusable behavior. What we did was wrong, and whatever the Jets may have done to lead up to it doesn't make it not wrong...at all.
    There was no fear the Jets would come back. Everyone in the stadium knew that game was over. This was running up the score, plain and simple, and it was embarrassing.

Angry Bad Sportsmanship

For christ's sake, that was the last series our starters were even in the game. If he kept pouring it on and took the score into the 50's that would be one thing...34? Let's get our panties out of a bunch a realize that this is pro football...God, you guys amaze me sometimes times. You talk about pro football like more than half of the players havent been arrested before...This is a tough mean violent game and it is for mentally and physically tough individuals...I have never been prouder to be a Rams fan and to compare what happened yesterday to Harrison's hit is just silly. It is becoming more obvious each week that no matter what Martz does, he catches some sort of backlash from the media...This time it is uncalled for.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    hey, the nfl doesn't need a bad guy but apparently we're turning into it, i don't think we are nor do we need to be.

i'm not wringing my hands, god no, i had a huge smile on my face after that onside kick...paybacks a ***** after all those losing seasons. Like HornedHell, i have never been prouder to be a Rams fans, Martz is totally the man.

i may have misspoke or been misunderstood, my point was that of HH and everyone else, this backlash is unnecessary. Please don't think i'm ashamed or "wringing my hands".

and I LOVE the analogy of longhornrams :evil:
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Talking I understood you DJ

Being proud of unsportsmanlike behavior baffles me and saddens me. A lot.
    I'm proud of the Rams because they've built the best team in football around good PEOPLE like Warner and Bruce and Conwell, and not a bunch of classless jerks. Now, people are obviously crying out for that type of behavior. Great, let's run up the score, let's act like Hollywood Henderson, let's be the Raiders.
    And I'll continue to criticize it.
    And Horned, being Mentally tough has NOTHING to do with this. One can be mentally tough and not run up the score and be classless. Martz is the man for coaching well, NOT for the classless onside kick yesterday.

longhornrams is offline Registered User
    Thanks; I appreciate the compliment on the analogy. I knew B-school would pay off somehow.

What I don't understand is how this is somehow "classless". Come on, folks, this is the NFL. All matchups are between grown men, who have the opportunity to sell their services (playing ball) to the highest bidder. There are no inequalities in home school district, recruiting budget, or any of the other things that give rise to unfair matchups in college and high school football.

Therefore, I don't see any "responsibility" for Coach Martz to stop trying to score points after we are up by a "sufficient" margin. While the Jets might not like getting whipped, they can respond in kind. Like I said before, there are two great ways to keep a game from getting out of hand. Score points, and stop your opponent from doing so. If you can't do that, its not your opponent's fault; your team is just inadequate.

And Coach Martz and the Rams can't be held responsible for the inadequacies of the rest of the NFL.

GO RAMS.
    "I'm from the Lou and I'm Proud"....Nelly

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Disagree

Daddo,

I was going to stay out of this but I just can't. I respect what you say all the time casue you and I have simular views. This time though I am not so sure about. It easy to pass judgment from where we sit, Martz has his reason for doing it. I personal am glad we did it, we were getting killed on our kick off returns. Did you see t he very next kick off? It went from there 8 to the 20, they had to play things different. The Jets were cheating back so far that they were gaining field position leaving the on side WIDE OPEN.

If they would have returned the kick-off for a touchdown, like they had been threating to do all game, the score would have been 31-14 with a quater and a half still to play, it makes it look a little different now doesn't it with the come back ability that the Jets have had.

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User
    Since when is a surprise play and running up the score a bad thing? It's not like the score was that high to begin with. I enjoy surprise attacks, keep them on their toes. I just wish I had actually seen it instead of just hearing it. I missed an entertaining show. Afterall, that's what they get paid to do, entertain, and they did not disappoint. No comparison to Harrison's hit.
    MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.

RammStein is offline Registered User
    Hey .. guys .. wake up .. some think it was unsportman like conduct and others don't .. both sides can prove their point on why they believe it was one or the other

but I just want to point out one thing .. as stated above these are paid professionals .. and the Rams in the 2nd Quarter scored 14 points within 55 seconds of each other .. so who says 31-7 is out of the reach for any team to come back on .. when sometimes luck could be on there side and all of a sudden the game is 31-21 .. I thought the call was uncalled for but I'm not going to judge the call the coach made .. I'm not a professional coach of football .. so he knows his team .. and he knows what the Jets are capable of

a small note on statistics Kickoff return stats for the Jets 4 for 131 yards that's 32.75 average yards per return .. and usually after the kick return gains 30 yards he is close to breaking away for a TD .. so the kickoff return team on the Rams side was an off day .. and Martz decided to do an onside kick to get the ball back and run out the clock .. **** .. we didn't even score .. BUT they took off 6 minutes and 22 seconds! .. ending with a FG .. when the Jets scored the last TD .. it took them 5 plays and only 1 minute and 32 seconds

to me guys .. Martz was doing the obvious .. get the ball back .. take up time on the clock .. try to get some points out of it .. and the rest of the game is history

as for Warner signing Autographs .. PLEASE .. why is that a big deal .. I'm sure the fans in the stadium asked him to come over to sign .. let's not assume our QB is shallow and doesn't have a heart .. reminder guys the Game is for the Fans .. and him giving some Autographs is NO BIG DEAL!
    RammStein

www.unitedrealms.com

Talking A good sign!

You know things are going good when Rams fans are debating whether or not we beat our opponents too badly..Bring on the Saints!

rampower is offline Registered User
    I am a bit stuck on this one. Warner signing the autographs may have been a bit cheeky, maybe after all the fuss has been made The mighty warner may not do it again, I dont think he did it out of evilness. If the move is in the rules then it cant ashame too much can it? Norton jnr punching the uprights wound us all up in 96, and i am sure we would have liked revenge. The jets basically calling us a bunch of pansies was asking for a drubbing, they got it. Then Martz either rubbed it in or showed respect. You choose. I think he was rubbing it in and good luck too him. The nfl didnt like the rams winning in 99 and it aint going to change. But after the close call with the gnats and many saying we should be 3-3, he sent out a statement with a victory against the jets and an onside kick to finish them off and dishearten any comeback. Isn't piping sound to your opposing teams bench classless? Amplifying crowd noise?

If they were beat why should they care, if it was game over? Isnt players talking smack a bit classless? Teaching our kids that arrogance is good on national TV? Making a statement that brute force beats finesse? The big bully will win? We can go over the top and argue about class all day, but an onside kick, a woman beater, a smack talking roll model and drug dealers are a few worlds apart.

From a PR point of veiw the kick was bad. But I bet a few aints and whiners fans would have been laughing if they had done it to us?
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast