Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baggett in as WRs coach - Ellard gone

Ellard to Jets, Baggett in as WRs coach with St. Louis Rams
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    Henry Ellard, one of the top wide receivers in franchise history and the Rams’ wide receivers coach for the past eight seasons, is leaving for the same position with the New York Jets. Ellard told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday afternoon that he had accepted a job on the staff of new Jets head coach Rex Ryan.
    Meanwhile, league sources said Charlie Baggett has been hired as wide receivers coach on Steve Spagnuolo’s Rams staff. Baggett, who turned 55 on Wednesday, has spent the past two seasons coaching wide receivers at the University of Washington.
    In the NFL, he has had coaching stints coaching wide receivers for Miami (2005-06), Minnesota (2000-04), Green Bay (1999), and the Houston Oilers (1993-94). In nine of his 10 seasons coaching wide receivers in the NFL, Baggett has had at least one 1,000-yard receiver.
    Spagnuolo’s new staff in St. Louis is also known to include Pat Shurmur as offensive coordinator, Ken Flajole as defensive coordinator, and Paul Ferraro as linebackers coach

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Baggett in as WRs coach - Ellard gone

Wait a minute... if he was in Minnesota from 2000 to 2004, and then spent '05 to '06 with Miami... wouldn't that make him a....

FRIEND OF SCOTT LINEHAN!?

*cue dramatic music*

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Wait a minute... if he was in Minnesota from 2000 to 2004, and then spent '05 to '06 with Miami... wouldn't that make him a....

*cue dramatic music*
    Good point, but wouldn't that mean he should be heading to Detroit!!

*cue dramatic music*

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well this is now Spags' coaching staff. I don't know a damn thing about this guy, but I hope he can teach our teen squad a few good things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Hate to see Henry Ellard go hope the new guy can make an impact.
    :ramlogo:

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

*cue dramatic music*
    What a genius but depressing observation. All we need to hear is this guy say that Linehan was his mentor and driving force to succeed in this business.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Honestly, is any of this going to even matter if we start winning some games? I've gotten to a point, like everyone else, where I don't really know who these people are, and one thing is for sure, I can't find out much about how well and how much of an impact they'll make for the Rams by seeing their past resumes. Is it disheartening to see that he worked with Linehan? Yeah, but maybe Linehan...ok, obviously, Linehan wasn't made for being a head coach but it doesn't mean he won't be a fine offensive coordinator for Detroit. With that said, once again, I'm giving Spags the benefit of the doubt. He knows football people, so I'll assume he's hiring football people. 'Nuff said.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

keith m. klink Guest

Who were the receivers he has been coaching , college and pro . That might give us a little sight into it.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Honestly, is any of this going to even matter if we start winning some games? I've gotten to a point, like everyone else, where I don't really know who these people are, and one thing is for sure, I can't find out much about how well and how much of an impact they'll make for the Rams by seeing their past resumes. Is it disheartening to see that he worked with Linehan? Yeah, but maybe Linehan...ok, obviously, Linehan wasn't made for being a head coach but it doesn't mean he won't be a fine offensive coordinator for Detroit. With that said, once again, I'm giving Spags the benefit of the doubt. He knows football people, so I'll assume he's hiring football people. 'Nuff said.

Absolutely right. Only those in the know have any idea whether these position coaches are quality coaches and teachers. The NFL is a "good ole' boys" network of hirings and firings. New head coaches fire those left over from the previous regime simply because they want to go to work with their own people- not necessarily because the old coaches were bad.

And that's a good point about Linehan, as well. There are many examples of guys who were not good head coaches but found success as a coordinator or position coach. Remember Mike White? He didn't exactly light the world on fire as head coach of the Raiders, but was a part of our SuperBowl winning coaching staff in 99-00'. How about Jim Hanifan? Cam Cameron? You get the idea...

Again, I trust Spagnuolo and DeVaney to restore the pride.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I agree with what seems to be the consensus here; that we can only take Spags' choice on faith. Too many other factors in WR performance/development to judge from the outside the quality of their coach.
    But...for whatever minimal worth, Baggett was a part of possibly the worst ever Huskies season last year.He had a "cushy" job at Minn with Moss and Carter just like Ellard with Holt and Bruce. Burleson had a decent year with Minn before being traded, I believe, to The Hags but ,just like the rest of Baggett's short stints with other NFL teams, how much credit/blame can you give a positional coach for development/failure in one or two years?

This is a major housecleaning & sometimes things have to be let go even if there are pangs of sentimental pain.I nearly dumped a GF years ago when she consigned my ragged and stained #75 jersey that I'd had since age 6 to the kitchen rag bucket. I took it out to the yard and solemnly burned it. I'm sure it was the toxins in the resulting smoke that made me tear up a little....

No way to tell what the results of the DeSpags regime change will be but I like the decisive and consistent manner of it so far and hope to see it continue with player personnel.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

They are cleaning house with the coaching staff. I am sad to see Ellard move on and I wish him well. Are they keeping any of the coaching staff?

This is going to be interesting when they get to the players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'll still wear my Ellard throwback jersey with pride.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Hate to see Mr. Ellard go, and I wish him the best wherever he goes next.

But I think Spags knows what he is doing, and he's getting in the guys HE wants.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

well he's had at least 1 1,000 yd receiver every season with a team, and we have 3 very bright futured receivers and a fourth in Crabtree (ok thats a joke) so hopefully we can get the right mentoring for them while theyre still young..

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Good Luck Henry! We will miss you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast