throwback week

Thread: Baker

Sanantonioram Guest

Unhappy Baker

I'm not sure who would be directly responsible for this, but, if we didn't even make an offer to Baker after bringing him in for an interview, it sounds a lot like the old front office. The guy said he wanted to be a Ram and he was the best punter in the NFC last year. We don't even make him an offer that he can turn down???? I don't like the way this went down at all!!!:tut

realchamp11 Guest

Re: Baker

Me either

:1:

Scidog68 Guest

He said the Rams mentioned an offer "near 600,000/year"; he sought near a mil. a year.

Obviously Baker was not worth haggling for in the FO's eyes. Knowing the difference between Baker's average and Turk's average, can't say I blame them much. It's not like Baker has been a perpetual pro-Bowler.

Punter was a need, but perhaps not one with great "value" FA's available, hmmmmm? Maybe they didn't like him after all.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I would hope that they may be looking at one in the draft, and signed Turk as a back up if things fall through.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm not sure who would be directly responsible for this, but, if we didn't even make an offer to Baker after bringing him in for an interview, it sounds a lot like the old front office.
    I don't think three big free agent signings on the defensive side sounds like the old front office way of doing things.

Clearly the Rams didn't want to waste their time with a punter who more than likely wouldn't settle for anything less than $1M.

general counsel is offline Registered User

What does "he wanted to be a ram" mean to you. He wants to be whoever will pay him the money he wants. He will say the same thing the next place he visits.

It would be so nice if some people would give the front office some credit rathering than hammering away on every single decision, especially those that are very salary cap driven. There is a basic tenent of negotiation that says why waste your time when the parties are so far apart. It CAN hurt to make an offensive offer, it happens all the time in business. People have reputations and credibility to consider.

Go to a flea market some time and find something priced at $1000 on someones table. If you offer them $25 for it, do you think that they are going to take you seriously as a business person? That is what the nfl or any other ongoing business relationship is about. Its about reputation.

If you are not in the same ballpark with an agent and player, fine, no reason to negotiate. But the agent doesnt come to the conclusion that the rams are only good for making low ball offers. Rather, he knows that if the rams really want a guy and think that they can make a reasonable offer they will do so. This is basic business, it really has nothing to do with football.

The guy led the nfc one year. He is not ray guy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The guy has played for five teams in five years. Maybe there's a reason for that.

RamsFan16 Guest

I think we should have still made an offer. Its worth it!