Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Balzer Blog- Burton Shines/No SJ Negotiations until he shows up

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    CaliGirl, you have to learn to take criticism with a grain of salt on a sports forum. We are not going to agree all the time, even if we are on the same team.

As to SJax, I understand that the offered contract may not be to his liking. But since you are still under contract for this year, you make your disgruntled comments from the sidelines at training camp.
    You are right. I shouldn't have been posting while being angry anyway's, and again, I am far from as experienced as you all are. I still think SJ should be in camp and not causing so much drama.

Peace out.
    Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -07-27-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly. Maybe the Rams offered Jackson a $50 million deal, but it's over the course of the next seven years. Maybe the Rams' offer gives Jackson $22 million in guarantees, but a significant portion of that money is in the later years of the deal when the Rams could, potentially, opt not to pay them to an older Jackson.
    Purely speculation, but under your scenario, 22 million in guarantees ain't chopped liver. And why should the Rams pay an "old Jackson" 28 million when he can't perform up to past years levels? I guess I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for guys, who if they couldn't carry the rock, would be washing cars in Van Nuys for minimum wages.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Enough with the Jax stuff already!! Look these things all work out in the long run for one simple reason: it's in everybody's best interest to get a deal done. Hence that is what will happen.

What I'm frosted about is why in the world is The Cog running the SECOND string O-line behind Romberg? Other than Romby possibly having a better snap in the shotgun formation, he couldn't carry Richie's water if he had a mule. Look, The Cog is going to be the starter at center; why not have him working with the FIRST string so he can develop some chemistry and timing with the guys he's gonna play with? And after last year's debacle, our O-line needs all the reps and timing it can muster.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Purely speculation, but under your scenario, 22 million in guarantees ain't chopped liver.
    Without specifics, I would agree. But the manner in which Jackson gets that money could vary in numerous ways, a number of which could very well be rather unacceptable.

If you look at the situation with broad strokes, obviously the amount of money being turned down is going to make Jackson look greedy. But as many have pointed out, there are various specifics that are perfectly understandable as to why someone might turn down a contract with those broad figures in them.

Since we're not privy to the nitty gritty, we'll not know one way or another. But I think fans should be careful in how they interpret Zyggy's comment. It's in his best interest to make the organization look good by puffing up their offer. Maybe it's a good offer, maybe it isn't. Simply having a lot of potential money in it isn't enough to make it good.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Look, The Cog is going to be the starter at center
    I wouldn't be so sure. I think he's more talented as a lineman than Romberg, but ultimately it's going to be about who is the most efficient center. Based on the reports of some bad exchanges between Richie and Trent Green thus far, Romberg might have the upper hand for the time being.

You talk about continuity along the line, which is such an underrated part of a good line, but remember that Romberg probably has the better chemistry right now with the offense at that position given his more extensive experience there recently.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. I think he's more talented as a lineman than Romberg, but ultimately it's going to be about who is the most efficient center. Based on the reports of some bad exchanges between Richie and Trent Green thus far, Romberg might have the upper hand for the time being.
    Well, this is why NFL teams have a training camp; to get these kinds of bugs worked out. BTW this just enhances my point: Richie should be practicing his snaps with our STARTING QB Marc Bulger. Not that Trent won't play a role somewhere along the line, but let's get The Cog on the same page as Bulger and the rest of the starting unit now so we can hit the ground running when we play at Philly.
    Remember: it's not just a case of getting a bunch of reps, but who you get them with can make a big difference.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123