Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Balzer: Kroenke is on NFL committee for new LA stadium

By Howard Balzer
    Friday, April 16, 2010

The Rams will officially be on the clock in less than one week when the NFL Draft begins at 6:30 Central time on Thursday. It now seems clear St. Louis is also on the clock when it comes to keeping its football team.

Alvin Reid’s column details his strong feelings about what St. Louis will likely have to do to keep from losing the NFL for the second time, and likely forever. Believe him. He and others that have talked and written about this in the last 72 hours aren’t alarmists. They are realists.

It is clear the stakes will be even higher should Stan Kroenke gain control of the Rams. On the same day the Los Angeles Times revealed another plan being put together to build a new stadium in the area, a chilling fact was discovered related to how close Kroenke is to what’s happening in L.A.

And no, I’m not talking about the fact he spends a lot of time on his boat at one of his homes in Malibu.

It turns out Kroenke is a member of the league’s Los Angeles Stadium Working Group committee. Roll that one around in your mind a few minutes. Everyone I mentioned that to Thursday was silent for a few seconds, and then said, “Oh, my God.”

It means Kroenke is privy to every detail, every plan, simply everything that is related to those trying to get a stadium built there.

For several years, Los Angeles businessman Ed Roski has been front and center in the efforts to build a stadium in the City of Industry.

The Times reported Thursday that businessmen Casey Wasserman and Tim Leiweke are considering a plan to build a stadium behind the Staples Center. They had tried a similar plan about eight years ago, but they shelved it when the Coliseum Commission tried to make its own bid. That, of course, eventually failed.

Wasserman is the founder and CEO of the Wasserman Media Group. Leiweke, a St. Louis native, was the assistant general manager of the St. Louis Steamers soccer team in 1979, and is now president and CEO of AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group), which owns the Staples Center and a 1,000-room hotel near the arena. Leiweke’s brother, Tod, is CEO of the Seattle Seahawks.

One line in the Times story said, “So far, the concept is in the preliminary stages, although the NFL is aware of it and is monitoring its progress.”

We’re quite sure Kroenke is doing just that.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balzer: Kroenke is on NFL committee for new LA stadium

I find it amusing how reporters are all scrambling to try to figure out Kroenke's end game. Kroenke himself is probably sitting back, chuckling, and exclaiming "dance, my little puppets, dance!"

Right now, I'm going to operate on the presumption that Kroenke's plan is to buy the team and to build a new stadium in the St. Louis area. He will never come out and say "I'm keeping the team in St. Louis" or "I'm not moving the team to L.A." because that threat is his primary bargaining chip in negotiating with city officials in St. Louis.

If you want to get your dander up over this, you are welcome to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, the notion of going to St. Louis in 2015 or 2016 to watch the Rams play in a new stadium with a roster funded by one of the richest owners in professional sports sounds pretty darned good.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the notion of going to St. Louis in 2015 or 2016 to watch the Rams play in a new stadium with a roster funded by one of the richest owners in professional sports sounds pretty darned good.
    I'm sure your statement there isn't lost on Silent Stan ...

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I find it amusing how reporters are all scrambling to try to figure out Kroenke's end game. Kroenke himself is probably sitting back, chuckling, and exclaiming "dance, my little puppets, dance!"

Right now, I'm going to operate on the presumption that Kroenke's plan is to buy the team and to build a new stadium in the St. Louis area. He will never come out and say "I'm keeping the team in St. Louis" or "I'm not moving the team to L.A." because that threat is his primary bargaining chip in negotiating with city officials in St. Louis.

If you want to get your dander up over this, you are welcome to do so.

Personally I think The Rams will move back to LA when and if Kroenke get's control of the team.. Honestly I'd be happy to see St. Louis offer them the house to stay or get to LA with a new stadium and huge fan base.. either way we win..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Also, for the record....

1. I don't think the Rams will move back to L.A.

2. Apart from the longer flight for me, I really don't care one way or the other.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

It could also be another round of "Let's extort more money out of an existing NFL Town (i.e. St Louis) by beating up on LA again and threatening to move there"...

But noting is settled until we hear from the fat lady...

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

TheRammer Guest

um whats that fat lady doing to that mic?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Short of Stan Kroenke publicly revealing his intentions if he becomes principal owner, there is no way to definitively know what will happen. As I see it, there are good points being made on either side of the issue. On the one hand, Kroenke is a native Missourian (hope that's the right term) and you'd think he wouldn't be inclined to alienate his fellow citizens. On the flip side, he is on the stadium committee as stated in the article and it could be extremely profitable to tap into the 2nd largest media market in the country.

I am one who believes the Rams should have never left L.A. I wouldn't mind seeing them back there. That is not a negative reflection on St. Louis, just my preference.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

You know, as a season ticket holder, I find it funny that we need a new stadium when our current one isn't even 20 years old. Granted, it has all the charm of a warehouse, but when the Rams are winning, there's no place I'd rather. The place is clean and everything seems to be in good working order. We even have automatic towell and soap dispensers! What more could you want? Also, they did spice up the game day experience last year to make it a little more lively. In short, we don't need a new stadium at all, we just need a winning team. Too bad somebody got hosed on that top 25% thing in the lease agreement. Ooops!
    :1:

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Banks View Post
    You know, as a season ticket holder, I find it funny that we need a new stadium when our current one isn't even 20 years old. Granted, it has all the charm of a warehouse, but when the Rams are winning, there's no place I'd rather. The place is clean and everything seems to be in good working order. We even have automatic towell and soap dispensers! What more could you want? Also, they did spice up the game day experience last year to make it a little more lively. In short, we don't need a new stadium at all, we just need a winning team. Too bad somebody got hosed on that top 25% thing in the lease agreement. Ooops!
    Unfortunately, it's not about the automatic soap and towel dispensers. It's about luxury boxes and other large revenue gathering apperatice.

If the general feeling of the fan base and citizenry of St Louis is that there is no need for a new stadium, and that sentiment is expressed to your elected officials, I'd say St louis would have a very good chance of losing it's second NFL franchise (no matter who buys the team). However, nothing is written in stone. We're all just going to have to sit back, take a deep breath, and see what transpires.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

(Hands over ears) BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

I'll still be a Rams fan if they are located in LA, but man I won't be going to any games.

So the head goes back in the sand and hopefully they will work everything out

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Short of Stan Kroenke publicly revealing his intentions if he becomes principal owner, there is no way to definitively know what will happen. As I see it, there are good points being made on either side of the issue. On the one hand, Kroenke is a native Missourian (hope that's the right term) and you'd think he wouldn't be inclined to alienate his fellow citizens. On the flip side, he is on the stadium committee as stated in the article and it could be extremely profitable to tap into the 2nd largest media market in the country.

I am one who believes the Rams should have never left L.A. I wouldn't mind seeing them back there. That is not a negative reflection on St. Louis, just my preference.
    His wife is a Wal-Mart heiress. Clearly the concerns of the hoi polloi are not high on his "list of things to worry about."

I've mentally adapted the old Defcon system for the Rams to LA? possibility, with Defcon 1 being "the move has been announced" and Defcon 5 being "The team will be in St. Louis for the long haul." This news puts us at Defcon 4. For comparison, I've had them at Defcon 4.5 following the announcement of Khan's (then) winning bid-which is the baseline for a team playing in a bad stadium in a medium-to-small market with a comparatively small fanbase, and a very short term lease.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Yes, the connection has been made many times locally with LA, Ed Roski, Stan, and the new stadium. So this news story doesn't come as any surprise to some of us here in the LA area. We've been hearing and reading these kinds of stories more and more lately. In fact, I was listening to ESPN on the radio this past Tuesday night, and they talked about the likelihood of the Rams coming home to LA and how much sense it made.

Something has to happen in St. Louis. The stadium deal isn't going away no matter who buys the team. Either they (The city of St. Louis) or the new owner(s) pony up the bucks for a new stadium or the Rams are good as gone. ...and since the NFL has made it very clear that they want football in LA, it makes sense, doesn't it? ...from what I've read, the taxpayers of Stl are not in favor of a new stadium, while the LA stadium isn't using any taxpayers money and everything needed to make it happen (permits, etc...) are already approved. They just need a team to say; "We're coming", and the groundbreaking will begin.

You have to ask yourself, and I'm sure Stan has asked himself; all things being equal, could the Rams make more money in Los Angeles, or St. Louis? The numbers alone heavily favor LA. There are less than 3 million potential customers in St. Louis, but almost 14 million in LA/OC.

Yeah, I know, LA can't support a team. yada, yada, yada....

I didn't think the chances of the Rams coming back were very good, but with the change of ownership and the current situation with the stadium in STL. I'm not so sure anymore. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Stan and the NFL figured out a way to move the team to LA next year. Leases and contracts are broken, bought out of all the time. Don't think the Rams stadium lease is any different. If the NFL can get a historic franchise like the Rams back into LA and cash in, they will find a way.

If the general feeling of the fan base and citizenry of St Louis is that there is no need for a new stadium, and that sentiment is expressed to your elected officials, I'd say St louis would have a very good chance of losing it's second NFL franchise (no matter who buys the team). However, nothing is written in stone. We're all just going to have to sit back, take a deep breath, and see what transpires.
    The company I work for is based out of St. Louis, and folks from the main office come out to visit us in LA quite often. (Although I think most visits are in the winter just get out of the crappy weather ) But whenever I talk sports with any of them (which I often do, because let's face it, business talk gets rather boring) I bring up the Rams. What I've realized is, not once has any of them mentioned going to a game, or being a fan of the Rams. They can (and will ) talk Cardinals baseball all day long, and I've even heard mention of the Blues. But never has one of them talked about the Rams as a fan. I'm curious, is this a microcosm of the city of STL for their feelings for the Rams, and if so, what does that say about the fan base there? I know I can still walk into any sports bar here in LA or Orange County and still find Rams fans. Is the fan base weakening there already, after only 14 years? ...or is it possible that the people from St. Louis that I talk to the exception? Just curious.

I think we're at Defcon 2.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Oh great, another thread where all the California fans rush in to bash St. Louis. Sweet.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

And I'm sure the arguments and insults will all be new too.

Yeah...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast