• 1 Post By shower beers
  • 4 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By UK Ramfan 83
  • 1 Post By Truth

Thread: Balzer: Officials' performance in Rams game should be reviewed

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Balzer: Officials' performance in Rams game should be reviewed

By Howard Balzer for KSDK Sports

(KSDK Sports) -- The NFL office will be quite busy this week when they review the numerous plays from the Rams game against the Panthers that turned the game into an embarrassment for the NFL. Fines will likely be plentiful.

However, the real question is how closely the league's officiating department will review the pitiful performance of its men in striped shirts that allowed the game to get out of hand. If they do, we won't know about it.

The taunting penalties that are in the rulebook are designed to prevent what happened on the field Sunday. However, when taunting is tacitly allowed while frequent and over-the-line instigating is ignored, the result will be what was witnessed Sunday and led to the Rams likely having lost quarterback Sam Bradford for the season with a torn ACL.

The Rams certainly allowed their emotions to get out of hand during the 30-15 loss to Carolina. However, it seems evident that was the Panthers' game plan, and in that they succeeded.

Yet, inexplicably, Panthers players actually claimed to have taken the high road during the game.

Said cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, "It was a great bonding game. We kept our heads. Sometimes you have to step away in this game and don't get a personal foul."

Added safety Mike Mitchell, who probably ended Bradford's season with an unnecessary hit and then celebrated in front of the Rams while Bradford was writhing in pain, "We did a good job of being the more composed team. We had to play disciplined. They wanted to try to pick a fight with us."

Supposedly, Munnerlyn and Mitchell uttered those words with a straight face.

Then, there was serial instigator Steve Smith, who told a Carolina reporter, "Janoris Jenkins was talking trash about my family. If I see him in the streets, I'll punch him in his f-ing) mouth."

In the third quarter, with the Panthers leading 20-12, Smith, without provocation, hit Jenkins in the head with an official standing right there. No call. On the next play, Smith caught a pass, broke a tackle attempt by Jenkins, and scored a touchdown. As he was crossing the goal line, Smith turned and pointed at Jenkins, a clear taunt. Once again, no penalty.

Earlier in the quarter, a huge fight on the field with multiple players involved ended with Rams defensive end Chris Long being ejected. Somehow, he was the only player the officials saw fit to penalize. Long was already frustrated by an encroachment penalty called two plays earlier. On third-and-3 from the Rams 44-yard line and the score 17-5, Carolina right guard Chris Scott was clearly guilty of a false start.

At one point, Rams defensive tackle Kendall Langford, who was drawn offside with Long on the play, could be seen clapping as he apparently heard the officials say it was a false start. However, after a delay and discussion, it became encroachment and a first down. Long could be seen waving wildly and yelling at an official.

Later, Long said he apologized to his teammates, while saying, "When my teammates are in trouble, I'll always stick up for them. I'm not sorry for that, but I am sorry for losing my cool.

"I play this game with a lot of emotion. I won't change that, but there has to be a point where I can reel it in and I can't let people provoke me."

While Long isn't wrong, it can also be hard to be constantly provoked and have it be ignored by those assigned to control it.

*The officials missed a clear hit to the head of wide receiver Brian Quick when he was defenseless after a pass to him wasn't caught.

*In the fourth quarter, Rams guard Harvey Dahl was rightly penalized when he blocked a Panthers player to the ground after a play was over. However, Panthers tackle Byron Bell later did the same to Rams defensive end Eugene Sims (although Sims didn't go to the ground), but wasn't flagged.

*Quick was penalized when he retaliated after being pushed from behind after a play by two different Carolina players.

*Dahl, of course, went out of his mind on the play when Bradford got injured. He first grabbed Mitchell from behind when Mitchell had his arms stretched wide as if he had actually made a good play after Bradford was headed straight for the sideline and was clearly giving himself up. Amazingly, the officials missed that.

Then, when Dahl realized Bradford was injured, he raced back onto the field to go after Mitchell again and this time was penalized.

Coach Jeff Fisher had no issues with Dahl's actions. Said Fisher, "Harvey doesn't like that especially when it's low and the player is taunting. I don't disagree with that. Harvey is going to protect his quarterback."

Unfortunately, on a day that was a black eye for the National Football League, the officials weren't able to protect anyone.

Howard Balzer will be contributing to KSDK Sports throughout the 2013 season. Howard hosts PrimeTime Monday-Friday from 6-8 pm on CBS Sports 920. He is also a host on SiriusXM NFL radio and one of 44 selectors for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Re: Balzer: Officials' performance in Rams game should be reviewed

One of the worst 'homer' crew ive ever seen!

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

So much about this game made me ill. Watching a team act like idiots, taunt, shove and instigate all day and get away with it was so incredibly frustrating for me watching at home. I cant imagine how it must have felt being there on the field.

The encroachment call on Long and the play action on 4th and 1 had me out of my seat.
    Last edited by JustinHasAnAxe; -10-22-2013 at 04:52 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I really felt bad for Brian Quick's in particular. Dude was just standing around after the play and multiple Panthers players came up and started pushing him, literally trying to start a fight because they knew the call would go on St. Louis.

The Panthers players were let loose to do as they pleased. It was disgusting to watch.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm usually not one to use officiating as an excuse. It's usually just sour grapes when a team gets beat. But this game was an exception- a poor job of not only officiating but controlling the game itself. What strikes me as strange is that Jeff Fisher has been on the competition committee, and one would figure his teams would get a fair shake. What gives?

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Jeez... If I was playing....and I used to. Had I been a Ram, I'd have been shouting 'home town crew' covertly constantly making sure they could hear it...

Then after I'd been ejected....run into the Z's locker and urinate in their coffee mugs.

Because that's how I roll....

;O)
    live4ramin and citr92 like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

All of these plays and lack of penalties called led to this game getting out of hand and thus losing Bradford for the season. Thank you Mr.Zebras

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The bitterest irony of the zebs influence in this game came two plays before Sam got hurt. Greg Hardy was called for roughing the passer. It was an accurate call by rule; the ball was gone, but Hardy got flagged mainly because he couldn't see that the ball was gone as he lowered his head to avoid a potential headshot. Without that penalty called on a Panther trying to do the right thing, the Rams would have punted and our season outlook would be totally different.

Truth is offline Registered User

I agree that the officiating crew was at fault for the game getting out of hand. They made some VERY bad calls against the Rams, and missed some very obvious fouls committed by the Panthers. The fact that the Panthers were allowed to taunt at will was completely inexcusable. However, Sam's injury was not caused by a late hit, a hit out of bounds, or a big hit of any kind. The defender pushed him out of bounds. Sam stepped awkwardly and was injurred. It sucks. But I don't fault the defender or the Refs for the injury. The taunting, however, should have been flagged.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    So much about this game made me ill. Watching a team act like idiots, taunt, shove and instigate all day and get away with it was so incredibly frustrating for me watching at home. I cant imagine how it must have felt being there on the field.

The encroachment call on Long and the play action on 4th and 1 had me out of my seat.
    That one (the encroachment call) really got to me as well. It possibly influenced the outcome of the game, and surely infuriated Chris. I replayed that several times and it was easy to see the call should have been a false start. Additionally, I didn't much care for Steve Smith shoving JJ at the end of a play trying to get him to retaliate and draw a flag. The clip of Smith in action was shown several times, but the refs must have been" looking the other way." It seems the Rams are snake bitten when it comes to officiating.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Last year our coaches endorsed and maybe encouraged "chippy" play by the team and by Courtland Finigan in particular. By letting this behavior seep into the virgin character of the "team" in disregard to learning fundamentals and establishing brotherhood we are reaping what we have sown. The buzzards have come home and all that business. Undeveloped talent is being squandered, carriers unfulfilled and precious time wasted. And now we are mortified by others using the tactic on us. How ironic.

This is on the coach.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Jeez... If I was playing....and I used to. Had I been a Ram, I'd have been shouting 'home town crew' covertly constantly making sure they could hear it...

Then after I'd been ejected....run into the Z's locker and urinate in their coffee mugs.

Because that's how I roll....

;O)
    I like it!

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Last year our coaches endorsed and maybe encouraged "chippy" play by the team and by Courtland Finigan in particular. By letting this behavior seep into the virgin character of the "team" in disregard to learning fundamentals and establishing brotherhood we are reaping what we have sown. The buzzards have come home and all that business. Undeveloped talent is being squandered, carriers unfulfilled and precious time wasted. And now we are mortified by others using the tactic on us. How ironic.

This is on the coach.
    the rams haven't shown the "chippy" stuff much this year, the game vs the panthers doesn't really count, it was just straight anger really

this wasn't on the coach, the refs lost control, or didn't want to control, this game

the panthers had a lot to do with it, i mean the rams retaliated yea, but this wasn't being chippy or anything of the sort

just a game outta hand

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams-Panthers draws $47,250 in fines from NFL
    By The Associated Press, AP / NFL
    Oct. 25, 2013, p.m.

NEW YORK (AP) — The St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers drew a total of $47,250 in fines from the NFL for their chippy game last Sunday.

Rams defensive lineman Chris Long received the biggest fine Friday, $15,750 for unnecessary roughness for throwing a punch during a skirmish in the third quarter of St. Louis' 30-15 loss. Long was penalized and ejected after he was caught swinging his right hand at Panthers guard Chris Scott as players from both sides were pushing and shoving.

A pair of receivers - Carolina's Steve Smith and St. Louis' Brian Quick - were fined $7,875 for striking an opponent in the face. Also docked $7,875 were Rams guard Harvey Dahl for a late hit and Panthers safety Mike Mitchell for taunting.

===========================================

And how much was the fine on the refs in that game you say?

-- That was me interjecting.

===========================================

Four players were fined $15,750 for roughing the passer: Washington linebacker Brian Orakpo, Miami linebacker Jelani Jenkins, Houston defensive end Jared Crick and Tennessee linebacker Akeem Ayers.

Orakpo was penalized for his hit on Chicago quarterback Josh McCown in the third quarter of Washington's 45-41 win.

Jenkins hit Buffalo's Thad Lewis, knocking the quarterback's helmet off - although Lewis was able to complete a 17-yard pass to Stevie Johnson - during the Dolphins' 23-21 loss.

Crick had a hit below the left knee of Kansas City quarterback Alex Smith in the first quarter of Houston's 17-16 loss to the Chiefs.

Ayers' fine came as a result of his hit on the knee of San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second quarter of the *****' 31-17 win. Ayers was called for a penalty that negated an interception by Bernard Pollard.

New England rookie cornerback Logan Ryan was fined $10,000 for grabbing at his groin at the end of an interception return against the New York Jets.

Ryan, playing for the injured Aqib Talib, picked off Geno Smith late in the first quarter and returned it 79 yards for a touchdown. As he reached the end zone, he fell backward and reached for his groin.

Denver defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson was docked $10,000 for hitting Indianapolis offensive lineman Samson Satele during an extra-point attempt in the third quarter of the Colts' 39-33 win. Vickerson was not penalized for the play in which he appeared to punch at Satele's right knee, sending the center to the sideline for the rest of the game.

Baltimore linebacker Elvis Dumervil (facemask), Cleveland linebacker Eric Martin (late hit) and New York Giants defensive end Damontre Moore (late hit) were all fined $7,875.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-25-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Isolate STL vs Carolina