Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Balzer: Rams not expected to participate in Thursday's supplemental draft

Rams not expected to participate in Thursday's supplemental draft
    By Howard Balzer
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The NFL will conduct its supplemental draft Thursday, but donít expect the Rams to be participants. Sources told Globe-Democrat.com the Rams will not put in a bid for either of the two most desirable players in the draft: Brigham Young running back Harvey Unga and Illinois defensive tackle Joshua Price-Brent.

The other two players, neither of whom is expected to be selected, are running backs Vanness Emokpae (Truman State) and Quentin Castille (Northwestern State), who started his college career at Nebraska.

For the supplemental draft, teams email to the league the round they would be willing to use a draft pick on a player. If multiple teams have the same round, the team with the highest pick in the April draft will get the player.

It is not known the specific reason why the Rams have decided not to bid on any player, especially Unga, because it would appear he has the talent to compete for a backup job behind Steven Jackson.

However, here are some issues that could be giving the Rams pause:

*At his July 8 workout, Unga was bothered by an ankle injury, and he had other injury issues in college.

*The Rams had 11 draft picks this year, which means 11 signing bonuses to those players including the mega-deal expected to be given quarterback Sam Bradford. To give a signing bonus to Unga, who would be coming to training camp without any offseason work in the offense might not pan out, especially given the ankle problem. In addition, teams that select players in the supplemental draft are not provided extra money for the rookie pool, and the Rams could need pool room to get Bradford signed.

*Unga is considered to be similar to Chris Ogbonnaya, who has now been with the team since being selected in the seventh round of the 2009 draft and will be given an opportunity to back up Jackson.

NFLDraftScout.com analyst Rob Rang believes Unga will be a sixth-round pick, and that Price-Brent will likely go in the seventh round. However, itís possible that the premium teams place on defensive tackles could result in Price-Brent going higher. He is in the draft after being declared academically ineligible by Illinois for the 2010 season, and he spent 30 days in jail last year because of a DUI conviction.

Teams believed to be interested in Unga are Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, Seattle and Kansas City, while New Orleans, Detroit, Tampa Bay and Philadelphia are said to be interested in Price-Brent, who is considered a better prospect for a 4-3 defense than the 3-4.

Itís also possible that higher picks might be used because the strategy of the draft leads to teams not being sure what other teams are really interested. Last year, Washington used a third-round pick in the supplemental draft on defensive end Jeremy Jarmon.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Balzer: Rams not expected to participate in Thursday's supplemental draft

Good. I don't really think we need Unga. I like what I hear from Ogbonnaya and Toston is sounding pretty good aswell. They can share back-up time with Darby involved aswell.

I don't think there is a reason why we need to go after Unga and loose a pick in the next draft.

Warner4prez Guest

I read the Bears snapped him up for a 7th rounder.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I read the Bears snapped him up for a 7th rounder.
    even if this guy wouldn't but become practice squad, at least the bears give the impression they want to win.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    even if this guy wouldn't but become practice squad, at least the bears give the impression they want to win.
    I hope that wasn't supposed to signify that we don't...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It's hard to be too critical of the Rams' lack of interest when there wasn't a single team willing to commit more than a last round pick.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I hope that wasn't supposed to signify that we don't...

...maybe
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Are you serious? Unga is no better then what we have on the roster. How would it be any more of a sign that the Rams want to win if we drafted a guy just because he's the best rb in the supplemental draft? He went for a 7th round pick which tells me the entire NFL aside from the Bears felt he really isnt worth a draft pick. I saw Unga play enough in college to know I didnt want him to be on the Rams. Apparantly the Rams felt the same way. Not drafting a guy who went for a 7th round pick show the Rams were smarter then the people yelling for the Rams to use a 3rd rounder on him. The guys on the roster are better then Unga and I bet he'll be nothing more than a special teams guy if he even makes the Bears squad.
    Just Fix It

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

So signing every player that the media talks about in anyway shows that we want to win? Not doing so shows we don't?