Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Balzer: Rams Thanking RG3 Deal For Influx Of Talent

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Balzer: Rams Thanking RG3 Deal For Influx Of Talent

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Having said all that, my heart simply won't let me root for a Rams loss in the heat of battle.
    Funny how that works isn't it Hub. Classic example of the heart overruling the brain. Intellectually speaking if your team is out of the playoffs, theoretically a higher draft pick is preferred - especially if there is a particular player you know the team needs - think Sam Bradford. The rub comes when the actual game starts, the Rams take the field, and the intellectual stuff goes right out the window. Conditioning maybe? I dunno, but I hear you loud and clear ..

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Funny how that works isn't it Hub. Classic example of the heart overruling the brain. Intellectually speaking if your team is out of the playoffs, theoretically a higher draft pick is preferred - especially if there is a particular player you know the team needs - think Sam Bradford. The rub comes when the actual game starts, the Rams take the field, and the intellectual stuff goes right out the window. Conditioning maybe? I dunno, but I hear you loud and clear ..
    No doubt, the extra loss looks to have helped The Rams but,imo, that just takes the sting out of the loss, it guarantees nothing nor justifies hoping or even playing to lose. High picks and extra picks guarantee nothing. And that extra loss shuffled not only The Rams draft position that ended in the WASH trade but every team's position through every round. No way to tell how that would have panned out for good or ill. Too many variables.
    This is not analogous to a team resting starters at season's end once their playoff position is fixed & a loss means nothing.
    HUbison likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Losing is for losers.
    Winning is for winners.

While losing may actually turn you into a winner by pure happenstance - if losing is your goal, you'll always be a loser.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

That RG3 deal (and the subsequent trades) accelerated the Rams turnaround by at least a full season. Look back at what the Rams needed in 2012 when Fisher showed up. To be a "deep in the playoffs" team right now all they need is really a FS. If this was the NFC West of 2010, the Rams would be heavily favored.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Fair enough. And as a fan, I, of course, am enjoying the fruits of that miserable season. As the saying goes....."To the losers, go the spoils". Ok, so that's not exactly how the saying goes, but that is the manifestation in this case.

Having said all that, my heart simply won't let me root for a Rams loss in the heat of battle.
    I am with you 100% Hub.....I was glad to see that season end but still my heart won't let me root against the Rams either.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Ironically, Bullock had also fallen in that draft due to Alchohol related incidents in his past. I was really hoping he would fall to the Rams that year, but they took Trung Canidate instead, who I didn't even have in my top five running backs that year, maybe even top ten. I loved Bullock, because of his coverage abilities, and the Rams huge need at OLB, and thought Bullock was the last top or second tier guy on the board that year, which did turn out to be a very weak draft, especially the 33 picks after Bullock.

I cursed out loud at Rams Park when Bullock was taken, leaving only Cornelius Griffin and Darren Howard, both D-linemen, and not a top need, on my baord as possible Rams targets. EITHER would have been better than Canidate, one of the worst interviews ever, and clearly not a very smart fellow, the anti-Marshall Faulk.

I imagine Marshall was really peeved when he got a load of Trung in the meeting room. I'm sure he knew Canidate would never get the ball, as long as he was here and healthy, and probably would never make it in the NFL.

All because they barely missed on Bullock, but then again, knowing Martz, he may have taken Trung anyway, because he loved those Arizona guys that could run.

The smart move for the Rams that year would have been to deal UP, in a very weak draft anyway.

The Jets ended up with TE Anthony Becht and DE John Abraham with two picks early they got for Keyshawn Johnson.

Had the Rams been willing to deal their whole draft that year, like New Orleans did in 1999 to get RIcky Williams, they could have added a great defensive player like Abraham, Corey Simon, Brian Urlacher, CB Deltha O'Neal, Julian Peterson, OR even Bullock to their team.

Instead they stayed put and only their third , fifth , and sixth rounders made it much at all.

Two, Brian Young nd Matt Bowen did their best with OTHER teams, and Jon St Clair had only minimal impact.
    Barry Waller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12