Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ratmfan23 Guest

Balzer says He wouldn't Draft Dorsey

National Football writer and Sirius Satellite Radio Host Howard Balzer said on his local radio show on Team 1380 Tuesday that he thinks Glenn Dorsey will need to have surgery at somepoint, and he called him a "walking time bomb" with a clear issue with his tibia.

Balzer talked about how the Rams drafted Damione Lewis at 12 overall in 2001 even though he had issues with his foot, and Lewis ended up breaking his leg in his rookie season, needing 2 surgeries. Lewis wasn't even able to start running until mid-August of 2002, and he was never the same player and never lived up to expectations.

Howard said he will be interested to see where Dorsey is drafted and that if he drafted Dorsey, Balzer would look into making him have surgery before he even plays.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-09-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: NO LINKS

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balzer says He wouldn't Draft Dorsey

This may prove correct. Who knows?

But remind me again... what medical school did Howard go to?

shower beers is offline Registered User

It also just says "he thinks" rather than, "after much, or any research."

It doesn't say what, if anything, he's basing this on.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

This is second hand, but supposedly, when a stress fracture heals, it's acually stronger than the adjacent bone, much like a weld.

I also don't remember Lewis breaking is leg - pretty sure it was his foot.

In any case, I still want C. Long
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    It doesn't say what, if anything, he's basing this on.
    Might be this.

When you're picking second overall and paying nearly $30 million in guaranteed money, you want to reduce risk as much as possible. Drafting a guy who might have to have his leg surgically repaired to fix a tibia injury that hasn't properly healed in two years seems to carry its share of risk, IMO.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sounds like whenever Balzer looks at Dorsey, he sees Sapp's performance, but D-Lew's lower legs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, without the benefit of having his medical records in front of me and the fact that he isn't doing everything he can to prove his health(going back to Indy), I would probably have to agree with Balzer.

It has nothing to do with Dorsey as a guy or his production, it's just the fact that how many guys that are perfectly healthy and have never broken a bone have their limbs broken each year in the nfl? Dorsey has breaks that haven't completely healed and might need to either be broken again to reset and strengthen, or they could break at any time, namely around the middle of the season when it could destroy any playoff hopes.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

still you take dorsey over jake long or VG any day of the week hands down.... he has the most talent in this draft outside of Mcfadden which we dont need and Chris Long which the dolphins are taking 1 overall

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    and Chris Long which the dolphins are taking 1 overall
    I beg to differ on that. Many "experts" (Kuyper, etc) now seem to think the Fins are going Jake Long at #1.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When you're picking second overall and paying nearly $30 million in guaranteed money, you want to reduce risk as much as possible. Drafting a guy who might have to have his leg surgically repaired to fix a tibia injury that hasn't properly healed in two years seems to carry its share of risk, IMO.
    I agree. Taking a chance on a player coming off an injury that has healed is one thing, but taking a guy who has an issue that has been identified by multiple professionals as seriously problematic sounds like a pretty big risk to me, especially at #2.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This case is closed by Long, Long and Gholston.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I really don't know what is more of a gamble....taking a "tweener" like CArriker or taking someone like Dorsey who has a "minor" history of an injury.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I'm just hesititant about taking a DT that high because of the lack of success we've had doing it in the first round(i.e. Jimmy Kennedy, Damione Lewis, and Ryan Pickett). Not to mention all the other teams that have also drafted monumental failures there. I don't think it's a position that is easily translatable to the NFL, so you really never know what you're drafted until they're there. It's probably the biggest question mark position out there. I think DE is a little bit safer to take, but C. Long might be gone to the Dolphins and I don't think Gholston warrants being taken with the 2nd pick.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I agree. Taking a chance on a player coming off an injury that has healed is one thing, but taking a guy who has an issue that has been identified by multiple professionals as seriously problematic sounds like a pretty big risk to me, especially at #2.
    I agree also,this pick could make a hugh difference to this team for years to come,if there is any question about a player then the Rams should move on to there next choice,we will get a very good player,no sense in taking a chance on Dorsey,either Long will do.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I'm just hesititant about taking a DT that high because of the lack of success we've had doing it in the first round(i.e. Jimmy Kennedy, Damione Lewis, and Ryan Pickett). Not to mention all the other teams that have also drafted monumental failures there. I don't think it's a position that is easily translatable to the NFL, so you really never know what you're drafted until they're there. It's probably the biggest question mark position out there. I think DE is a little bit safer to take, but C. Long might be gone to the Dolphins and I don't think Gholston warrants being taken with the 2nd pick.
    Don't throw Pickett in there with Lewis and Kennedy unless you want the wrath of me and GC at you. Pickett played very well for the Rams but he always seemed to be lumped in with Lewis and Archuleta.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-09-2008, 01:23 AM